Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya colours ?  (Read 5401 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Tamiya colours ?
« on: December 16, 2016, 02:34:00 pm »

I like to use acrylics for airbrushing.  Tamiya do have a large range, and are available at my local model shop.  My problem is getting the colours I am looking for.  The colour chart online can be very misleading.
What I want is a light grey, lighter than regular warship grey.

Tried XF25 (Light Sea Grey). Came out exactly like Halfords grey primer underneath.  Quite dark.
Next XF19 (Sky Grey), very pale on the chart, but almost as dark as above when dried.
XF21 (Sky) -  Quite a strong light green in the bottle, unlike the cap colour. Avoided this one.
Finally got yet another 4 bottles, this time XF12 (J N Grey), looked light, maybe a hint of green, dried very greenish.

The plastic bottle caps are often unlike the chart colours, or the contents visible inside.
So, how do I get a genuine light Royal Navy WW2 grey, without a lot of expensive experimenting by mixing colours ?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
Re: Tamiya colours ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:13:13 pm »

Hi Bob, there are comparison charts online which can give you the equivalent colour number or name across a range of different makes, humbrol, Vallejo, and Tamiya are only a few.
If you know, or can find the colour you want in another range, say Humbrol, you can then look up the Tamiya equivalent.

Chris.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:01:52 pm »

You are right Chris.  However my problem is finding an actual Tamiya colour that comes anywhere near what it says on their colour chart.  Lots of light greys shown, but either come up far darker or heavily green tinged when applied.

Has anyone had experience mixing Tamiya XF acrylic colours?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »

Hi Bob,

The kreigsmarine used a range of greys for hull/superstructure/ turrets and I got the shades from:-

forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/5609-quick-article-on-camouflage-of-germany-in-the-great-wars/

I found that Vallejo were closer to the truth than most and dried close to the 'wet' shade.

That said, even Dulux tends to dry darker when drying.

Good Luck

Tony

PS Are you going to Ally Pally in Jan?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »

Hi ya all

while we are on about Tamiya Acrylic colours in general - here's a question - how does one stop the paint from scratching/peeling easily.   I have been using Humbrol and other enamel paints for years and now trying to go to acrylics with my new airbrush - and - I have found after spraying and leaving for several hours to dry - when handling what you have sprayed - the paint tends to rub off on high spots etc., can you tell me how to prevent this?

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 05:53:16 pm »

What primer John?

Tony

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »

Hi ya, I am using Tamiya Primer and what I have done is purchase a couple of 'old' Airfix 54mm scale figures for 2 reasons - one I want to learn how to paint the features on the faces and also use acrylic paints - before I use acrylics on some of my model boats.

I also have used AK products / paints / primers & etc.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 06:39:42 pm »

One of the nice things about Tamiya XF acrylics is not only do they airbrush nicely, but the airbrush can be cleaned easily and quickly in water, with a little Tamiya thinners to blow through.  It is reasonably hard wearing. but in flat matt can pick up dirt and finger marks when sailing.  When fully dried I use two very light coats of Plasticote semi gloss spray varnish.  Dries hard and keeps the boat clean.

Anyway, asking around at the Dean's Open Day today I am assured that if I use the acrylic XF-19 mixed with a little XF-2 (White) they will mix well as they are of the same type from the same sub-range.

So, on Monday I will get some pots of XF-19 and lighten it with a bit of XF-2 until I get the shade I want.

PS:  I only use Humbrol foe fine brush detail.  It is really tough to clean the airbrush properly afterwards,

shipnut

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Floquil(Testors) paint
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:25:01 pm »

I've started painting with Floquil 'Aged Concrete', which was made by Testors but no longer.
Does anyone know what might be an equivalent paint that I can continue with?
Or(extreme case) does anyone have for sale a 29.6 ml bottle or two of Floquil Aged Concrete.
Any suggestions gratefully received
         Hugh F. Mowat

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »

It isn't what the original question asked but I have used the Tamiya AS16 USAF light grey spraycan as a reasonable match for the RN light grey and if I need to have a brushed alternative for touching up or small details a 50:50 mix of Revell aqua 371 and Tamiya XF80 Royal light grey is a good match - perhaps that might be airbrushable?

shipnut

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 04:16:08 pm »

Thank you for your answer. I'll look into your suggestions.
(I put my question under the wrong title...first time!...sorry)
      Hugh
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.