Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who builds what?''t  (Read 3963 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Who builds what?''t
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 08:35:45 pm »

Dear heavens above!
I've only been on the site for a couple of days and already over 1000 people are viewing and many more than I expected are responding. And I haven't said anything controversial (yet).
Actually, that augers well for the future of Mayhem.
When I left the site some years ago, much of the stuff posted was nowt to do with Model boats. If it was, a lot of it appeared to be written by overage kindergarten rejects. That seems to have been reversed in favour of the more serious posters (?). Long may that continue and well done to the new crop of moderators. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Who builds what?''t
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 03:41:37 pm »

'Each to their own', as the old adage goes. Over my many years as an old time Woodwork/Metalwork, and then CDT (Craft, Design and Technology) teacher of secondary schoolkids, I have met and had the pleasure to teach children who naturally show abilities far beyond those normally encountered for their age.
When we moan about the modern lack of practical teaching in our modern schools, it is interesting to note that when spoken to about their early experiences as I have done over nearly 40 years, practically speaking, the natural innovators, designers, and those with ideas and concepts as well as the skill to solve problems and make objects that answer or solve a problem or perform a task, were nearly all children that had experienced practical toys like, Lego, Lego Technic, Meccano, Fischer Technic and the like.

In the years where we experienced the beginnings of the computer age, they were the first to grasp the principles as well.  All these abilities stem directly from the sorts of things their parents exposed them to in their formative years. So maybe we should be looking at early learning, rather than teenage learning.

Some very good friends of mine in the model world have made a point of involving their children from an early start with their hobby and one of our top offshore champions' 10 year old son has just beaten his Dad's speed record, with the second son coming on fast. (He is actually a scratchbuilder) also most of the elite members of Blackheath and Victoria clubs in London are the children and grandchildren of sadly passed modellers of the 50s and 60s.

The educational boffins of the past called this 'Labelling' and so some misguided child phsychologists decided that we should buy Jack a Doll and Jill a hammer!!!(Madness)...The fact remains that we are all the result of the inputs given us as children and if us oldies nurture our skills and pass them on, then our children will eventually follow,

Whether they become 99% scratchbuilders like me, (My Grandad helped me with my first model ship at 5 years old!) or a bit of Kit and a bit of Plan, or totally kit, it doesn't matter as we know all of us are constantly learning from input and skills we are shown, some of us earlier than later.

It really wouldn't do if we were all the same, and some of the finest modelling I have ever seen has been done by kit builders who added that bit extra..... There is no extra Kudos in being a scratchbuilder or an ARTF or sail modeller.... WE ARE ALL MODELLERS. Good luck to them all.

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.