Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who builds what?''t  (Read 3988 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Who builds what?''t
« on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:14 pm »

i've got to wondering again.....
Are there still any scratch builders on this forum? The numbers were certainly in decline the last time I was here. Or has there been a migration towards the cardboard box brigade. I was so disheartened when visiting the TMBC open/charity day recently to see the serried ranks of kit builds looking like suspects in an identity parade. If it hadn't been for the liberties taken with the Dulux I'd have believed that I was looking at one of Mr.Fords original production lines.
No wonder the hobby and all that goes with that is in decline.
Surely to goodness, anyone who is interested in both ships and modelling would aspire to learn how to build his/her own model. A model of their choice and not content themselves with an off-the-peg offering. BY?
Notes from a simple seaman

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Who builds what?''t
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 07:55:22 pm »

Hi Bryan I tend to buy a kit and dispose of most of it and rebuild a large portion of the model.A good example of this would be my conversion of the Robbe Schultzh minesweeper this can be seen in warships and military.A recent plastic conversion of a plastic model to rx operation meant that some very fragile parts had to be made from brass and further detail added.

Stan.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »

Bryan,
I really enjoy scratch building, although my models are nowhere near the standard to which you have built. The most recent two were a small replica vintage yacht "Jenny" from Model Boats plans service and Vic Smeed's Customs and Excise cutter "Guardsman", which I wrote about on the Model Boats site. Guardsman was a joy to build and is a pleasure to sail on the lake.
I am now approx. half way through Vic Smeed's cabin cruiser design "Lorena" and have just bought the plans for another Smeed design "Lorelei".
I like to be able to obtain/purchase materials on an ad-hoc basis, hence the love of this type of modelling and Vic's designs will never break the bank.

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=76412&p=1

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »

Hi Bryan

I've done both but the biggest and best scratchbuilt I've done is my 1/32nd HMS Gnat river gunboat. One of my next projects is a mix of both using a commercially available hull but some pretty serious modifications to change it completely.
My Dad on the other hand builds scratch only. He has built a 1/12th CMB, 1/48th HMS X-1 submarine, and currently he is building a 1/72nd Admiralty Train Ferry.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:32:20 pm »

I have been and still do scratch build tugs, I have been doing this for the last 50 years or so, here are some from the last 10 years or so.most of them are 1/32nd scale but I also build in 1/24th.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:34:17 pm »

A few more.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:25 pm »

Some great models tugmad. I do not completely scratch build but when I modify kit models I have no plans to work off only photographs which can be a challenge.Sadly I do believe that marine modelling may go the same way as the aero modelling.In my local model shop it is very hard to find a model aircraft to build and cover.Lots of aircraft ready to fall out of the box almost ready to go.And of course skills are in decline please do not shot me down my thoughts only.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 09:03:15 pm »

Hi Stan I quite agree with you, it seems that there is a lack of interest in model boats with the younger generation ,out of 80 odd members in our club there are only 5 under 20 and not many more under 50.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »

My recent scratch build...  ok2

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »

Right I build all 3 types....Kits,Scratch and I also build from commercially available hulls.

I honestly Wish I had the skill that you have Bryan and others on this forum.I must admit I have recently finished a Scratch built Air Sea rescue launch built from a free plan that came with one of the Mags,Oh YES I really enjoyed the mental challenge of building something out of nothing so to speak....from the hull to the actual Guns,would I do it again...Heck yes.

Another I have almost completed is a Pilot boat Ok this is based on the Amlwch Pilot boat and Yes the Hull was a commercially available hull modified to suit and it is now nearly ready for painting.

At the moment I am building Tid 172 on a Models By Design Hull and superstructure,Everything on it is scratch built...and boy oh boy am i enjoying it.

I MUST admit one thing I have forgotten when I last built a Kit,One advantage of course of a kit is that everything except the hardware comes in the box and it is very convenient especially when time does not allow you time to build...due to family commitments etc.

I agree with what you are saying that actually building from scratch is a dying art,As you are probably aware I have been involved in Running the Coalville and Blackpool model Boat shows and I must admit There are one heck of a lot of scratch built models out there,yes of course there are a lot of kits being displayed...In this day and age there are some fantastic boats out there whether they are built form a plank of wood or a kit.........

I would dearly love to have some of the skills of some of the members on Here especially working with Brass,one aspect of the Hobby I would love to be able to play with is Steam...but alas I don't have the skill level to build and engine let alone run one and of course one rather little problem of course is having the necessary cash to buy one.

Dave

Kipper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Bodgitts Dry Dock Co.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 10:22:37 pm »

Scratch build own design on an old grp RM hull, I carved an extension to the bow to give it a better
profile (a 'nose job' as some might call it  ;) )

Im gonna need a bigger shed.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 10:23:09 pm »

Hello Bryan.
In answer to your question the answer is yes...as i scratch build 95% of all my models the reason is that i build subjects that are sometimes unique one off models no one else tends to do them and you could not buy a kit of such a machine even if you wanted to i have always built models that are not the mainstream stuff ( scale hovercraft in hovercraft section ) and i enjoy scratch building a model and working out how to construct things and to get them operational far more than sailing them.
I have built only a few kits in the past and have been dissapointed with them , bad engineering a lot of money for the kit corners cut on accuracy for ease of kit supply / manufacture etc etc.
I have even gone to the lengths of building a vac forming machine to allow me to make parts for the scratch build.
The cost of modelling construction materials is also far far cheeper than the price of materials in a kit ( please dont anyone go on about development time in a kit wages etc thats not what i am on about just why it works for me)
I also enjoy the research that goes into scratch building you get to really know the subject and the history and development good and bad.
At the end of the day you can truley say the you built that not assembled a kit of parts which is fine if that is what you wish to do or dont have the required engineering skills to make your own. ( which is another story lack of skills in the young )
Regards Sub.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:52:33 pm »

Hi subdriver I have to agree basic skills that were taught in my school days are sadly not taught today.Basic woodwork metal work and technical drawing  skills which put you in good stead for later life.I have done many shows over the years and seen some very good kit models and scratch builds.But no matter how you look at it marine modelers are in decline most clubs have very few juniors members. Juniors that may come back in the future are along way off.

Stan

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 11:03:18 pm »

I suppose that I'm lucky that I was interested in making models at an early age by my Dad and then went into a trade that taught hand skills in metal work using files, drills, taps/dies etc. I was barely taught any real hand skills at school as most of the projects were design work only. I'm 32 and I'm currently the youngest member of my club but haven't always been. My 3 year old niece has a nack for building complicated structures from duplo blocks, and today I bought her a model boat to play with when she is older- she was thrilled to bits to have her own boat!

I must point out that the next few big projects that I'm planning will be scratch built-
HMS Basilisk an 1889 Gun Sloop
HMS Adamant an 1911 Submarine Tender

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 06:27:16 am »

after a long break from my teenage years. I have got back into modelling, and my first build is a scratch build model of a friends boat, from CAD plans I have drawn up from the photos and a few measurements, not the easiest of builds being basically a few bulkheads, stringers and lots of ribs. I am making 2 at once (one for me one for my friend). mine is first as I relearn all the necessary techniques, my hull is now complete and the second one is just going on the building board.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 08:37:18 am »

I scratch build all my models, albeit with some commercially bought parts - why spend time making a propeller when one can be bought so easily? However I do use my computer to draw up parts and cut them on my laser cutter for such things as superstructures, but as I have to draw them etc, the laser is just like an electronic scalpel/craft knife so I consider this scratch building as well.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:37:23 am »

Bryan,

There are still plenty of what might be termed 'scratch built' model boats being made although a lot of them now use techniques which would not have been available to the 'traditional' scratch builder such as 3D printers. Of course they are vastly outnumbered by the multiplicity of variations of other means of construction from straight kits to semi kits and all sorts of things in between but that has always been the case and these days simply reflects the large number of options for arriving at a completed model. This must be a good thing because there is something to suit all skill levels and thus encourage entrants into the hobby.

Recent technical developments are blurring the old definitions of 'scratch building', a subject which was discussed here fairly recently: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55692.0.html

Have a read and see what you've missed!

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 11:00:42 am »

Hi all, I find myself in the middle, I build from plans, I have lots of plans and get a lot of enjoyment from a construction just in my head.  I have built a few kits but mainly for review in IMM some time ago now.  I thought they were too expensive in the main.  My attachment to them has not lasted as I only have one I am pleased with left in my possession.
I get most pleasure from restoring back to life old models, especially if it is a family, built by grandad, that sort of thing.
I happily use commercial fittings when necessary, these days time is of the essence.
My current just finished project was the result an email from a lady who was going to throw it in the skip.  I was intrigued by the photo (1950's) and went to see it.  So I now have a clockwork 'non commercial toy' boat, good exercise for me and runs for about 8 minutes on a winding.  This was more of a resurection than a restoration!
I bought a 13 inch long sailing boat ex Gamages around 1936, in pieces at our club auction.  I knew the owner well and he had had the boat since it was new.  I restored it, new sails etc sailed it a few times and decided the right place for it was back with its original owner, I had had my fun and he was pleased.
I still have lots of wood and bits in my shed and will continue to make models as long as health etc remain good.  It is a great hobby and always has you thinking how to solve a problem or improve an item.
regards Roy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 11:29:33 am »

My passions are for unusual period warships and detailing.  I have built hulls, but find hull building comparatively uninteresting until I get to the deck planking and making the myriad of fittings.  I am not obsessed with justifying the word "scratch" as some kind of laurel of excellence, although my Polyphemus is virtually all "scratch" apart from the hull  - but if I can find a commercial fitting I will not make a point of avoiding using it.

I am currently building a Dean's HMS Royal Marine, and adding extra detail of my own.  My wife got me four part completed boats which I am figuring out what to do with.  (See "Four boats arrived" thread ).

I am now planning to start HMS Agincourt, despite it being far too big for either my car or workbench.
I like a good challenge  %%
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 03:03:36 pm »

Right I build all 3 types....Kits,Scratch and I also build from commercially available hulls.

I honestly Wish I had the skill that you have Brian and others on this forum.I must admit I have recently finished a Scratch built Air Sea rescue launch built from a free plan that came with one of the Mags,Oh YES I really enjoyed the mental challenge of building something out of nothing so to speak....from the hull to the actual Guns,would I do it again...Heck yes.

Another I have almost completed is a Pilot boat Ok this is based on the Amlwch Pilot boat and Yes the Hull was a commercially available hull modified to suit and it is now nearly ready for painting.

At the moment I am building Tid 172 on a Models By Design Hull and superstructure,Everything on it is scratch built...and boy oh boy am i enjoying it.

I MUST admit one thing I ave forgotten when I last built a Kit,One advantage of course of a kit is that everything except the hardware comes in the box and it is very convenient especially when time does not allow you time to build...due to family commitments etc.

I agree with what you are saying that actually building from scratch is a dying art,As you are probably aware I have been involved in Running the Coalville and Blackpool model Boat shows and I must admit There are one heck of a lot of scratch built models out there,yes of course there are a lot of kits being displayed...In this day and age there are some fantastic boats out there whether they are built form a plank of wood or a kit.........

I would dearly love to have some of the skills of some of the members on Here especially working with Brass,one aspect of the Hobby I would love to be able to play with is Steam...but alas I don't have the skill level to build and engine let alone run one and of course one rather little problem of course is having the neccessary cash to buy one.

Dave
What an interesting reply. Have you posted any build logs on Mayhem? In days of yore when I was building,
i did a few of those, but the idea was not to just highlight the model but some of the materials and methods I used that could be utilised by others no matter what Model the reader was building. It always paid off and made all my sleepless nights seem worthwhile. Bryan.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 03:21:47 pm »

I'm really quite chuffed at the responses here. You've all restored my faith in the merits of independent thought and the "joy" of problem solving.
There are still those however, that say they'd love to scratch-build but "haven't got the skill". Tosh. Skills are not granted or inherited...they have to be learnt (mainly by making mistakes)....and surely this "advancement" is what should be at the heart of what Mayhem should be about. Not totally, but one of its basic tenets.
Model shipbuilding is, by its very nature, a pretty solitary occupation, so posting stuff like build logs or posts on particular aspects really do help to generate a more communal spirit. BY.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

There are still those however, that say they'd love to scratch-build but "haven't got the skill". Tosh. Skills are not granted or inherited...they have to be learnt (mainly by making mistakes)....and surely this "advancement" is what should be at the heart of what Mayhem should be about. Not totally, but one of its basic tenets.
Model shipbuilding is, by its very nature, a pretty solitary occupation, so posting stuff like build logs or posts on particular aspects really do help to generate a more communal spirit. BY.

Well said sir, but a lot of modellers do have to start somewhere in order to give them the confidence to try a scratch build. And a kit or semi kit is a good place to start if they have never had a background or upbringing by the sea and ships.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 05:35:59 pm »

I am new to the hobby and went straight in with a scratch build, I could have took the easy route and bought a kit, but most of the fun is learning ' how to build it '. Still a long long way to go and many more mistakes to make but it is fun and a sense of pride when it turns out well.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »

Bfgstew

Well done Sir..

Why do we fall ??

To learn to get back up !!

Regards Sub.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 08:20:16 pm »

I am new to the hobby and went straight in with a scratch build, I could have took the easy route and bought a kit, but most of the fun is learning ' how to build it '. Still a long long way to go and many more mistakes to make but it is fun and a sense of pride when it turns out well.
Well good for you!
Now, without being trite about it....you will have problems of one sort or another. Some people with very trivial questions post  questions that they could easily answer themselves....and that demeans the honest "seekers of knowledge" to the detriment of all. These people should be firmly told to just get on with it. You sound serious. An answer to a serious question will always be given by someone who knows without belittling your lack of knowledge. BY.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.