Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad and CDs.  (Read 4216 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
iPad and CDs.
« on: December 19, 2016, 01:16:16 pm »

The iPad Pro is a wonderful device. But has no easy way of downloading CDS made on a standard PC.
I know that there are various adaptors available but they all seem to be a real pain in the tripes to operate.
I recently heard of a "stand alone" CD player that plugs directly into the iPad and converts the PC OS into the Apple iOS. Apparently an advert for this thing has been seen on some TV channel.
Does anyone know anything about this gizmo? Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: iPad and CDs.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 02:18:26 pm »

Bryan,

I don't have the latest version of the iPad but
Was under the impression that you could do the same as
Other mac PCs and connect to drives remotely.
In the case of my MacBook it can link to my blueray player over
Wifi to view CDs and DVDs

I may have the wrong info but another good source of information is the Mac forum

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:14:46 am »

http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Files-to-iPad-from-a-Computer

There are solutions for music and NON music files on here. It might be easier than buying a separate device.
Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas Bryan.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:46:34 am »

Don't forget this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGY2T9r1Ok

Ideal for model boaters due to water proofness.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:32 am »

http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Files-to-iPad-from-a-Computer

There are solutions for music and NON music files on here. It might be easier than buying a separate device.
Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas Bryan.
Thank you Tiger,. It appears that all I need to do is download iTunes on to the PC, download a CD into iTunes, using the iPad charging cable download the CD contents on to the iPad ....apparently the photos will appear automatically in the iPad picture library....and Bobs my uncle! Sounds easy enough. But that's been said before.
I'll let you and the rest of the world know how I get on ! Thanks for the heads-up. Bryan.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 02:07:34 pm »

Depending on upload speeds that could take a while, and will use up some of your allowance, twice, if you aren't on an unlimited tariff.
It might be worth checking if there is something for ipads similar to Airdroid for Android which allows you to link directly from/to a PC via the WiFi, so avoiding the internet connection.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 02:45:13 pm »

Once you download the iTunes application to your PC, you just plug in the charging/data cable that comes with the iPad, to a USB port, and Bobs if your father's brother. No further internet connection needed. :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:18 pm »

Once you download the iTunes application to your PC, you just plug in the charging/data cable that comes with the iPad, to a USB port, and Bobs if your father's brother. No further internet connection needed. :-))
Ah. I thought iTunes hoovered everything up to the cloud.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »

Ah. I thought iTunes hoovered everything up to the cloud.
      I note and agree that downloading CDs to an iPad will eat up the iPad memory faster than a swarm of locusts eat a field of corn. But I'm not looking to download entire CDs of photos, just selected ones to add to emails.
So far I've managed to confirm that iTunes is on the PC and have the PC connected to the iPad. I stopped there (dinner Tim). Now the next stage....I presume that the CD will have to be downloaded into whatever
Photo-editing programme one uses, not directly from the CD. Now that bit about Bobs my uncle thing.
You sort of indicate that everything from then on happens automatically....is that really so? If it is, where does the iPad display the transferred photos?
This is my dotage showing me its malign side I'm afraid! Nowadays new (stuff" has to be in the simplest steps possible....not like 10 years ago when I could probably have worked all this out for myself. As I get ever older so my sense of embarrassment diminishes, so I'm no longer constrained by a pointless sense of pride. Thanks for all the help offered to date. Bryan.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 09:05:44 pm »

Once you save the pictures you want from the cd in a folder on your PC the easiest would be to email them to yourself and then save them on the Ipad.
You can also try the photos tab in ITunes and sync the folder you made with the pictures. Sorry I have a Macbook so I'm not sure if ITunes is the same on Windows.
A third option would be to use a free photo storage site (I use photobucket) but there are others like Dropbox. Then you upload the photos in the folder you made and then you can download them on to your devices.
There are also pay-for programs that are supposed to transfer from a pc to ipad directly.
Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 04:50:06 pm »

After much research, consultation and conferences at the highest level...a decision has been made.
   The answer is, as usual, the simplest, least convoluted and fool- proof one.
     To create a second email account and send myself emails that will automatically (magically) appear on my iPad.
Whoopee! !!!? Are all my problems solved and I've escaped the trap in one bound? Bryan.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 07:19:01 pm »

Absolutely, I also email myself pictures sometimes when I'm having trouble re-sizing them. Cheers!
Brian

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 08:43:57 pm »

Absolutely, I also email myself pictures sometimes when I'm having trouble re-sizing them. Cheers!
Lovely! This has the flavour of a DadsArmy rerun if you can keep it going. BY.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 10:26:31 pm »

E-mailing has the same problem as I noted in #5 above - it goes to 'the cloud' and then comes back. Whether that is acceptable depends on your line speed and data allowance. Some e-mail systems also get bolshy if the attachments are very large.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 12:22:38 pm »

E-mailing has the same problem as I noted in #5 above - it goes to 'the cloud' and then comes back. Whether that is acceptable depends on your line speed and data allowance. Some e-mail systems also get bolshy if the attachments are very large.
Rats! Is that back to the drawing board again?
The iPad For Seniors (or Dummies) book recommends downloading from the computer to a camera SIM card via a hub, replacing the card into the camera and then directly from the camera into the iPad. All seems a bit of a claret. Could a memory stick be used instead of the SIM card?
And just to prove that my family thinks that I'm a real Dummy, one of my Christmas presents is a chocolate adjustable pipe wrench. That tells me a lot. Bryan.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »

Rats! Is that back to the drawing board again?
Not necessarily, it depends on your connection.
If it's not fast the time taken to get photos from A to B may be excessive, especially if it's more than a few or they are hi-res.
If you have a monthly data limit with your supplier then this will use part of it up and possibly push you over by month end and result in extra charges.

None of it is black & white. If it's something you will only do once then the above may not bother you. If it's likely to be a regular exercise it may get annoying. Only you can decide - I'm merely covering the possibility of you finding out (too late) that there was a gotcha lurking in the shadows.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 11:02:23 pm »

I use my Apple email and Gmail and have no issues, It would take quite a few photos to put you over any data limit with a hardwired internet connection. The size of photos required for viewing on a computer or mobile device is far smaller than the original size taken with digital cameras.
Brian

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 09:23:10 am »

Agreed, neither would I but I have a 40M down/10M up, unlimited data connection. Bryan may have something very much flimsier.
The requirement appears to be a CD which potentially is 650MB. (If it's actually a DVD then several times that.)
Sending 650MB up a typical UK connection will take a little time (probably all day), not so long getting it back down again.
Sending and receiving it will use 1.3GB of any data allowance. If you have for example a 10GB/month contract that is a big bite (byte?) out of it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.