Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first build - advice needed  (Read 3192 times)

dave parker

• Full Mayhemer
My first build - advice needed
« on: December 20, 2016, 01:33:18 pm »

Right

Some of you may remember me with my constant questions, disappearing for months then appearing back out of no where but yes I am back again, home projects finished, decorating done, xmas hols coming up...

And I am in need of more advice.

I have spent a lot of time (months and months) reading through peoples builds, everything from Glynn Guests excellent Motor Torpedo Boat, Bluebirds Fairey Swordsman, Bluebirds Cervia Tug just to mention a few.

I now need to make a decision on what to build first.

I am a relatively experienced model builder, from plastic kits to wargaming, to a bit of everything just not RC and not boats (although I have been reading the magazine since 2003!!!!!), and I have done sime timber work with regards to other home projects.

So, can I call upon all of you super stars new and experience to help me in my quest?

I would like something that is a good challenge, won't be done in a month or two, has plenty of building and planning, and thinking involved, something I can learn new skills as I go.

However, due to my lack of knowledge on things, particularly electronics I would like a kit I can purchase with everything that is needed to complete the build, correct sized motor/s, props/s, tube/s, fittings etc.

Ideally with recommendations on batteries etc too

I don't mind paying for good quality but it is important that I enjoy this first build or it may stop me from tackling anymore

Yes its really that important.

I have heard of model Slipway and Billings being of good quality but the doesn't really narrow it down to a specific choice of model.

Ideally I would rather have a timber hull to make rather than a fiberglass one but would consider fiberglass if the right boat came along.

Thanks for reading

Please help!!! :-))

PS I have a Planet T5 Transmitter

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first build - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:32 pm »

Mountfleet models have some really great kits too , have a look there .
Hard to get a kit that supplies motor and running gear but there are loads of wiring diagrams and set ups on the Action Electronics website/ Component Shop ! From fishing boats to warships!! And they will supply it all from one place . That's where I go and they are very helpful too .
Also some one on here will offer advice if you require it .
My advice is get one you really like and are interested in , the motors and stuff some one will help you with .

John

dave parker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:43 pm »

Thanks for that John, will have a look

Maybe I was asking a bit much with regards to a kit with everything included, but if I could get something that recommends what to get, even if I have to go elsewhere to purchase, that would be good

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 02:43:16 pm »

A perfectly reasonable question, but can you narrow things down a bit?  What type of boat would you prefer?  A tug, a warship, a fishing boat, a pleasure boat - or does it really not matter?  And how big would you like the finished model to be?  Your workbench and your car are likely to be the limiting factors on that.

There are very few (if any) kits that come with absolutely everything included.  Most will require you to buy the electrical bits separately, although many kit manufacturers will have a recommended motor and drive train and some will sell you a separate package of motor, speed controller, prop shaft and propeller. 

If you want a timber kit then the choice is quite limited.  Model Slipway only do moulded hulls, as do the warship and lifeboat kit producers.  Billings do wood hulls but offer little help in the electronics and power field.  Dumas do some nice wood kits (although more recently they have chosen to do some hull planking in plastic) and do offer power packages but these are now pretty outdated.

From what you say, I would be tempted to suggest the 46" Crash Tender from Vintage Model Works.  You will need to source and fit your own motor etc but I imagine VMW or a supplier like Cornwall Model Boats will offer all the help you need.  Or, of course, you could try Model Boat Mayhem!  There are plenty of boats of that style and size around so advice should be readily forthcoming.  I should say straightaway that I have no experience of the company or the kit, but it looks to be a step on from the simplest balsa models while still being a fairly straightforward build. Or if you want more of a woodworking challenge, planking one of Dumas's mahogany runabouts should keep you occupied.  (You can check my own Dumas build by clicking on the line in my signature block below).

Whatever you choose do keep us informed, and ask away when you need some help.

Greg

dave parker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 03:16:22 pm »

I have also really enjoyed following MarkT's  Billings Fairmount Alpine Build

inspiring

Is this a suitable kit for me?

@SailorGreg

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and write all that, very much appreciated

To be honest, anything other than a sailboat is fine by me, no real preference its more about the enjoyment of the build and the experience of building.

As mentioned earlier, I am quite happy ordering electronics etc elsewhere as long as I can easily find out and purchase the correct ones

I have had a look at the VMW Crash Tender, looks very nice, and is now on my possibilities list!!!!

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 03:19:34 pm »

Thanks for that John, will have a look

Maybe I was asking a bit much with regards to a kit with everything included, but if I could get something that recommends what to get, even if I have to go elsewhere to purchase, that would be good
Have a look on action electronic site under wiring diagrams , might put your mind at rest about motor setups .

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 04:08:23 pm »

hi ya Dave

You spoke earlier of wanting to build Glynn Guest's Vosper MTB which I myself did the build of - if you go onto my Hobbies store - the model boats magazine website - they do the plans and also they do a 'wood pack' for the Vosper which includes all the wood required to build that model so all basically you need to supply is the running gear, the motor, prop shaft & etc.  This has all been laid out for you in the article in the magazine and in the build which I myself did.   This, in my eyes would be one of the easier options for you, because

I do know you may wish to progress onto something like the Cervia build which is a lot more complicated plus on the Cervia build I used an MFA gearbox belt drive, which is no longer available - so - an alternative driveline would have to be well thought out and fitted - which I myself had already done in the Archer tug build, but, sadly all the photographs have disappeared and I no longer have the photographs myself.   The motor in it is a 555 which I got from Dave Milbourne who at the time owned ACTion,.

To go on to another subject which you are asking about - band saws/tools & etc that you will require for modelling - think about when you first started assembling Airfix/Warhammer kits - you purchased the kit, decided on the paints & tools afterwards.   

Model boats are exactly same - basic knife etc - start with that - decided on kit/purchase kit/ then decide on tools you need to make the kit up.   Finish the kit - you still have tools - next model - if you want extra tools you purchase them - this way, you only purchase what you need for the models you are making - you are not trying to plan ahead/waste money.

it is a lovely band saw you are looking at.
wood pack for MTB

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/323108/mm2062-vosper-plan-woodpack

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 04:30:26 pm »

Hi Dave, i would consider the crash tender, if size and space allow go for the 48" version, twin motors, props and rudders will stretch your skills, without causing to many problems. Fairly simple build but to build it well needs care.
You mentioned the Fairmont tug, beautiful model but very complicated not for a first time model

Mark 
Tugs are for pulling

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 06:02:11 pm »

hi Dave

Here's another one from The Glynn Guest stables - HMS Penelope -

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/34690/hms-penelope-plan-mm2059-warship-plan-

a link to the plan -

I built this model from scraps of Balsa wood and posted pics on this forum - but its not of the full build - but it is a straight forward build which is well within the capabilities of the first timer.    Have a look at some more of Glynn's plans - a lot of them are featured on My Hobby Store.   The majority of them are accompanied with a write up article.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31396.0.html

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »

Dave I would say that a Fairmount Alpine build ticks all of your boxes and yes you could do it.  One of the questions you need to ask yourself is how much time do you want to spend on the actual hull.  I like to make this part of the boat so a wooden hull is for me, but to get them right they take time and planning.  If you would prefer to spend less time on the hull and more time on the detail etc then a built hull would be the way to go.  What ever you do choose good luck and you will get lots of help on the forum if you ask  :-))   I honestly could not have got as far on my build without the help that I have received here.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:35:41 pm »

If you happen to choose Fairmont , there  is no  written instructions just pictures so you have to make up your mind the best way to do things , it just has a picture of glue ,no clue what type . If you are happy to work like that , good luck and as Mark says there is plenty of excellent help on the forum .
David (still building Fairmount Alpine)
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

dave parker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:56:33 am »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer...

@Paragon Yes I will do that today, might help narrow things down

@Bluebird As soon as you mentioned that Glynn Guest Vosper it rang a bell.  I went upstairs in to spare room and on top of the wardrobe I found the woodpack for it that I had ordered last year, moved when decorating then forgotten about  %)

That could be a good start. Now need to purchase a back issue of the Model Boat Magazine with the article and plan

Yes you are right, buy tools as and when I need them, not upfront otherwise cash flow becomes and issue

Thanks

@Jarvo  Yes the Tender is on my to do list

@Bluebird Have had a look at this, needs a bit more research but definitely another interesting suggestion, thanks

@MarkT Thanks for replying, I have recently spent a lot of time going through your build of the Fairmount Alpine and absolutely loved it, you have an obvious skill with these things.  Thanks for your reply

@david48
Thanks for the warning, this suggests thats its a kit for the more experienced and confident modeller

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 02:25:24 pm »

Dave - as per your band saw thread we seem to be at about the same stage.

But for me, which model has been an easy decision as I tripped into the Fairey Marine boats at an early stage and am going to concentrate on those.

For a first build I'm not making it easy for myself though as I'm redrawing some 1:12 plans for the Swordsman 33 and scratch building. Not made any easier by the plans I have being badly traced around the templates! Some adjustment and mock ups will no doubt be required.

But I'm stubborn and along with the excellent build threads and advice on here I'm determined to succeed.

All the best with your endeavours.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 09:06:35 pm »

Good luck with the Swordsman, i started with one many years ago, great model and sailed well, with brushless power and lipo batteries it should give you hours of pleasure

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »

Thanks Mark.

I'm obviously late to the party with regards to model boats and the Fairey range with many fine examples being built over the years and still being built but as well as the sailing I'm enjoying the whole process i.e. reading up on the marque, producing the drawings, gathering the tools and materials together and eventually actually building something!

And of course reading many threads on here to understand the building techniques and technical issues.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.