Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 53397 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2017, 05:20:17 pm »

Thought I would have ago at the fittings for the booms. The bands around the mast made as before ( bore a bar to fit & part off). Solder a lug on place on a mandrill together & drill pivot hole, so they are the same.  The barrel, drill down the centre of a 3/16th rod to fit a 3/32 rod. Solder on a lug wile soldering the rods together. Notice the small rod protrudes farther out at the bottom. This is so as I take the tension of the sail the top can pull out freeing the barrel, allowing the sail to be rolled around the boom. The lug is drilled 10BA clearance. The rod in the centre of the boom is turned from hexagon bar, a saw cut down the centre of the remaining hexagon. Drilled & tap 10BA & clearance one side. Now looking in my old gears, thinking of a size to make the reefing drum a stroke of luck. I found the wheels from a correction tape dispenser just the job. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »

What am I going to use part of milk container for, Answer soon maybe tomorrow.
Finished the goose necks, or are they cranes, something like that. The mizzen shown as operating, the main shown released so the sail can be reefed. In the passed I have removed the 10BA bolt to achieve this, but small bolt small hole cold fingers not ideal. 
Both jack stays are on the booms, hope they are strong enough, very thin. Also in the photos can be seen the start of the topgallant rail.
Temporary string for stays, so I can make patterns for the sails. This could be a long job if I stich them when sat watching rubbish on TV. But I do have another cunning plan. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:05 pm »

RGY....maybe just because I am in OZ, or your images have crossed the International Date line  :-)

But.... as shown.....does the Mizzen Boom clear the top of the [Aft] Deck House/wheel helm roof?

....or is it time I went to Spec Savers  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »

Howzat!! not out Derek. Sloping down just a touch, the topping lift will rise it over the crutch, rest to you. No one had a guess at what the milk container was for.  The handle cut at the top makes a good ventilator. I have used this method before, strong & light. Most important of all, cost nothing. In this case had to make it smaller. Slit down the front overlapped & melted back together, with that pencil blow torch. Look close just 2 little ripples on the join. The one I have soldered all the mast fittings with. Brian & Derek so there.  :kiss: Hammer. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2017, 03:37:29 pm »

Here is a trick I am proud of. The cast hawser hole in the bulwarks can be difficult to carve. This is the easy way. Drill a hole down the centre of a dowel, of a suitable size. Cut off the end at a sharp angle, then a slice at a slightly less angle. Then cut in half across the shortest point, turn one piece over & glue back together.  (right hand side No 4) A bit of sanding jobs a good'un.
 Chain plates back on bulwarks finished, even around the stern.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »

Milk bottle, I know I know :embarrassed:

Cut a diagonal from the handle to the opposite bottom corner. You then have a handy scoop for filling plantpots with compost. If you leave the cap in place it can also be used to water the same pots  O0 %) %)

Ot take the cap off and use to mix small amounts of paint on the top or upside down to have a small amount of thinners in to clean brush.

Or cut off across the bottle below the handle and you have a container to mix polyester or epoxy resin in, when any remainder sets, the bottle can be flexed and the dried lump falls out so it can be re-used. :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

But I don't think you meant any of these.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »

Yes well done Brian.
Other things are getting in the way now. But managed to finish both gaffs, with all metal work. The pully for the gaff sail sheet, the smallest yet. Sheve only 1/8th

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2017, 05:16:43 pm »

The cunning plan for the sails. Heming & stitching is difficult to get anywhere near to scale, unless the scale is large. So I experimented with the flying jib, worked very well. Except I have the bolt rope on the wrong side. I had tried this on glass before but the glue puddled showing badly.
Using the Paper pattern cut out the cloth ( I use ticking) With at least 1/2" all around. Mine was washed & ironed. This was because it has been folded in a drawer since the last boat.
Cut 4 Teflon blocks & drilled 2 holes ( Teflon cut from an old chopping board). A panel pin through holes one up one down. Place paper pattern on a board, nail the blocks so the nail sticking up is on the point. The other nail is clear of pattern, this will allow the block to pivot. Wind a string that has been soaked in PVA (water resistant type) around the nails.
The cloth is slightly dampened with a spray, not to much or it will be to heavy & also the glue could run.  Push the nails up through the cloth letting it sag again not to much.
When dry remove it from board, cut off the excess cloth as tight as possible to the string. I then mark the panels with pencil. I do this on both sides, after the first side I tape it to the window so I can see & get them the same. Then give sail a coat of very watery coat of PVA, some mixed with acrylic paint.
Seen on my model Flying Foam I had over done it a bit.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »

The photo yesterday with no comment. Is a hit & miss vent, cut to make gratings, painted streaky brown. This is not my idea, its a good one.
The hawser hole finished & the stern ready for filler & paint. Will finish hull paint before completing topgallant rail.   
Although I have a stand still using the pillow, as it makes a good pin cushion.       

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2017, 03:53:23 pm »

On my larger model the halyards have been done as the prototype. This leaves a lot of string to coil at the pin rail, very fiddly. The cunning plan this time, disguise  a block as a bowsie.  Have done an experiment & it works. Not done much else.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »

No play again, getting serious.
 Hopefully to morrow I can start on the punt (ships boat). I have made a dozen or so before, but this will be the smallest yet. Only 5.5" long 2" wide 1.5" deep.
 Picture shows one off my pilot cutter 12" long. It is true despite the photo & it floats.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2017, 04:22:57 am »

I like the pin idea for the bolt rope. I'm assuming you do overclocking stitching and not just rely on the glue.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »

Thanks for the like Brian. Stitching not yet, all part of the experiment, we will see. Looks strong now what happens in a gale how knows.
 Found a jig I used before to make a 6" clinker boat, can be altered to fit 5.5" clamped in vice. The stem & keel made from 3 thin strips of mahogany. The centre piece standing proud of the two thinner outer pair, forming a rebate. In larger boats I normally cut a groove. Cut out the transom glue together & pin on the jig ready for the planks.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »

The garboard strakes fitted on the ships boat, only one each side per day. Blue tape on temporary frames to prevent boat sticking to them.
The hatch cover finished. Just the pumps to complete the deck fittings.
Hull looking resplendent with grey topsides. To stop paint running under masking tape, I balanced the boat upside down between two of my benches.  I had to do this as I had glued the mast in prematurely. To get from one side to the other, I had to crawl under My back hit the mast  bout self righted BANG on floor. Lucky the only damage snapped the mizzen mast in half. managed to glue it back, but will have to really on the shrouds.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »

Managed to mend the broken mast, won't have to rely on the shrouds.  Because it had splintered over about an inch, managed to push it back together with glue. A tap on the top with a hammer, can hardly be seen & as strong as before.
Fitted the topgallant rail, first I fit a strip against the out side, then mark the width by finger & pencil. Cut on band saw round off the corners done.
 Two more planks on the punt. Using very thin ply about 1.5mm.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2017, 10:19:10 am »

No workshop, no cider, no racing, no bowls. Had two days in hospital had a minor stroke.
 Back soon. Hammer

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2017, 10:22:49 am »

RGY..... >>:-( there is nothing minor about a stroke ....so take care my good friend...........& leave those pretty nurses  :kiss:...alone

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2017, 09:48:40 am »

As so you had a TIA then (transient ischaemic attack) yes its a minor stroke BUT treat it the same as you would a full blown one! Take care mate, as a long term nhs employee I've seen plenty and dispensed medication for plenty. At the end of the day, a stroke is a stroke, take the relevant precautions and recover your health, do not treat it lightly - take it as a warning that a major one could follow if you don't look after yourself.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2017, 11:02:44 am »

Derek and Brian thank you both for your concern. If it hadn't been for my wife I probably wouldn't have known I had had a T.I.A. In my shop my left eye felt strange & I had a head ache. So I went & made myself a cup of tea. Just then my wife came home, said she had seen a couple of our best friend. I didn't know who she was talking about. She asked me to name our children I could not for about 5 mins. So straight of in the ambulance, sirens going.  Yes I do know about strokes my fathers death started was T.I.A.s. Horrible and worse for a partner. I have no physical signs at the moment, so that's good. I will be doing as I am told because I am being waited on hand and foot now. Just going to hospital. :-)) :-))

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2017, 11:23:09 am »

I managed to get down to my workshop this morning. Forty five minuets was enough. Wile I have been resting the last ten days did a lot of thinking, always dangerous. One of the conclusions, ships boat to big on the old mould.  So I have made one 5/8th lower & 1" shorter. Improved the design by slotting the frames over the support, so the position can be adjusted.  Altered the start I had made by cutting an inch off the keel & re attaching the transom, after reducing its height.   Removed the 4 planks, scrap.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2017, 01:08:09 pm »

Managed an hour to day. I have said before the big danger building without plans is getting things to BIG. Along with the boat above, the ventilator I made, the same to BIG. Now made one of metal. Flattened a square of copper from a 15mm water pipe. Drilled a larger hole in an old strap hinge, there was a good chamfer on the hole already. Rounded off the end of a 3/8 steel bar. Annealing the copper twice, after forming trim with snips, completed the dome no problem.  The hard part was hold it in the correct position to solder it to the down tube.
Also fixed the first strake on the new ships boat.   

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2017, 11:17:20 pm »

Ah......we can see who excelled at trigamawatse at school...all of those truncated cones & thingies  %)

From what we see you have used that age old standard...

A <d B <O C >b / jk ......[pretty smart were those old Roman pyramid builders  ok2 ]

...Clearly with the intention to capture air at atmospheric pressure and increase the velocity is a laminar manner, thus increasing combustion air pressure in the engine room by 0.00000005 PSI and dramatically improving efficiency  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2017, 09:28:43 am »

That's exactly how I worked it out Derek.  {-)   :D   Finally decided on position for the switches, radio & motor.  As I will need the hatch open to lift the handle. 
One thing I forgot to mention the mast hoops have to be on before fixing the mast.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2017, 04:10:57 pm »

The engine hatch, pumps & the ventilator in place. I have drilled up through the tube into the bowl.  Need to decide where the exhaust is going it looks like its almost adjacent the mizzen mast. don't want the main sheet getting tangled. 
I am showing a patch on the tarpaulin on the main hatch, an accident the ply used had a label stuck on it. When I covered it with fine nylon it showed through. So it became a patch.
 Also need some small hinges for the wash ports. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »

Continuing slowly with ships boat. I saw an article in model boats mag on building a clinker boat. The modeller had used straight planks, in reality only two planks are straight the first & the last. They have a more pronounced curve as they get to the bilge and then straighten as they neer the top. Photo of the third planks ether side.
I found a model of the motor fitted in Irene 1930, seen here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pa7K287VlU   An ELLWE 2fb.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.