Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 53375 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2017, 04:51:22 pm »

Ships boat almost there, just the duck boards & varnish now. I must say I struggled with this one, would not like to build any smaller. Well not with ply, cardboard may be. Managed to push the middle out a little improving the shape. Mine always seam to pinch in on removing from the temporary frames. Float test after the paint on outside.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2017, 08:35:40 pm »

Not been in the shop this week. The cotton bud tip is a good one Brian, sure someone will find it useful.  Still bigger than the flex I have though.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2017, 12:12:20 am »

Flex......you in need of some small flex?

All single core - 99.999% pure oxygen free copper, 2.25 micron of 99.999% pure silver :kiss: plating over the conductor, Teflon coated, 99.999% pure aluminium reverse sheathed, Teflon colour spiral coated outer.....interference supressed to 10,000 МΩ—Ω)].......very flexible........ capable of withstanding 240 degrees C

Brand new, never used except in a simulated Naval War engagement....[it is the wiring loom from a  <*< Harpoon Missile]

I could post over a few yards FOC if needed O0....just let me know the required conductor size & the choice of spiral colours  %%

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:19 pm »

Thanks very much. But no sale this time Del boy.
 Are you the OZ branch of Trotters International Trading.  {-)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »

Replaced the wooden oversize mast hoops, with plastic. Bent the plastic sheet around a dowel over the toaster. When the boss was out.   Note the mistake, had to remove the gaff & replace above the hoops.  :o

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2017, 04:35:21 pm »

Duck boards fitted in punt. Oars, rowlocks & and painter next. The gripes holding the punt in place will be elastic & hook holding the hatch down, Ease to open to get at handle & switches. 
Bowsprit rigging almost compete, just 4 pulley blocks for down hauls. In this period bottle screws (turn buckles)  mostly used to tension fore stays. But just on the corner of one of the photos a lanyard can be seen.
 Irene now has netting to save any one falling. When there was no H&S the ropes across from outer stay & footrope, are not the save the crew but to stop rope & chain going in the sea.
I have not been idle repairing my old paddle steamer GLEN USK for an outing tomorrow. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »

Replaced the wooden patterns for the servo arms. Used 1/16 plated steel edges bent to stiffen it up.
Both the main & mizzen will need more throw. Added two pulleys, outer for the main, inner a little less throw for mizzen. The pieces for the main spread showing construction. Of the fore sails only the stay sail needs more throw. No extra throw required on the  four jibs. They all attach to the brass swivels on top of the pulleys. The plates are also bent up the back of the pulleys to stop the guide lines falling off. When the wind isn't as quick as my finger.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »

I'm really liking all the bowsprit detail, the chains look the part. :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2017, 11:48:32 pm »

Yes Brian60...I think the bowsprit is very realistic too  :-)) and a credit to the builder  O0   

Hadn't posted any comment as I have spent the past 2 days with every copy of Middle Eastern Dictionaries available at the University of Sydney's Middle Eastern Regions Studies Rooms trying to translate the words or symbols as depicted   :-X

There appears to be a few oohs & ahys , but that's as far as I could decipher ....the last longish flat & curly symbol above the anchor chain hawser appears to be a visual abstract in someone's mind of a 2 masted vessel on the crest of a wave [however sailing astern :o]......[an alternate view on this could be a representation of a Shark with 2 fins swimming astern]

There is certainly a lot of images made by these folk over the past 2000 years

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2017, 08:45:45 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement Brian. Derek, I was trying to spell Irene, but thinks I had to much zider. Sobered up making small bully blocks for down halls & top & jib sail halliards. A few tricks I use. A small chisel for cleaning the slots in the blanks. A needle knocked in the end of a piece of scrap wood, cut off the eye & sharpen on a diamond file. For fitting the wheel place on a stub of a dressmakers pin,(arrow) this will hold it wile filing. Knocking the pin through the block get to the stage
in photo, cut off head push right in & cut off. This allows the off cut to be used on the next block.
A finished block the scalpel showing the scale.
Finale photo the hounds & gaff on the main.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2017, 04:05:50 pm »

Having got fed up with making blocks & rope, needed to see progress on the model. So decided to hoist a sail. Made the hanks, by pulling a wire around a small rod in the lathe. Painted black & cot up.
By the way Brian, I failed to make the long up side down ropewalk work, kept getting tangled.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »

Not enough counterweight on the bobbin :-)) If its suspended rather than a 'run along' cart, just add a weight hanging off it, think of a yacht keel, its the same principle, except the weight stops the bobbin spinning around.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:47 pm »

OK Brian you think the weight not heavy enough. I will experiment later as I have made enough on the short original for Irene. GEOFF

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2017, 06:35:30 pm »

Not a lot to show other things are getting in the way. But I have sorted the control lines ready to connect to the sails. Will have to reduce the length of arms on the rudder, more movement required.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2017, 10:21:07 pm »

All the fore sails connected up & operational. The three jibs, when the starboard side lines are at there shortest, as in photo above. The clew is just pulled over the lower shroud, as the sail moves over the line increases in length allowing sail to brail out further. The say sail is pulled to the centre line, with the same results. Port side works the same obviously.  This is the first time I have used this method. Only having a single line on previous models.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:38 pm »

Ships boat finished & mounted on its skids. Oars carved from coffee stirring sticks. Rowlocks copper wire soldered together.
Two more sails to set. Stitching to boom & gaff by just poking a needle through the cloth, the thin coating of PVA applied when making them, holds the holes open.
Hopefully sea trials next week, if I get more time than I have had this.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2017, 05:25:01 pm »

The observant among you will notice I have used two different methods to lace on the sails. No particular reason, I do prefer the method shown on the stay sail boom, as the sail can be tensioned as you move along. However it didn't look right with the wooden jack stay on the main boom.
A couple of tips, I expect you all know but may be one person doesn't. The cord is to thick to go through the eye of a needle, supper glue on the end of the cord slice to a point with a scalpel, use cord as a needle. I needed to drill holes deep inside the hull, epoxy a drill into a tube, job done.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2017, 05:12:36 pm »

Almost ready for launch, need to complete the shrouds first. If you can remember I rested Irene upside down between two benches so I could paint bottom of hull. Unfortunately she self righted rolled off,  snapped the mizzen mast. The repair has withstood me working on it, but sailing with out shrouds??? :o.
All sails in place, just research the correct belaying points. Made a mistake with the mizzen top gaff sail didn't fit well. Cut off the bolt rope on the luff, moved it over glued it over new position. Glue spread on the outside of rope & just under. Dried with wife's hairdryer (couldn't wait) then cut off the excess. The cloth lines are wrong so will make a new one later.
No more shop this week have to play bowls.
I have noticed about 80 of you are looking in a day. but no one is saying any thing.  :kiss: :kiss:

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2017, 12:29:20 am »

It is probably that no input has been posted , is the fact that you are making a very good job and we are all admiring the work ,and can not find anything to nit pick . You are on top of the  build .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2017, 11:35:18 am »

I love to read each update, and am following your  'build'  with interest.  I rather fancy building one of these  (if I can find the time) as it reminds me of my yachting days sailing the Bristol channel.

Just remember that  'no news is good news'.  You're doing a splendid job and I look forward to seeing her on the water. I hope I'm not  'nit picking' when I notice your photograph numbering system is duplicating itself.  %)   oh er, that's torn it.

Well done on your build.

cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2017, 12:02:53 pm »

RGY......on page 1 of this thread .....I suggested we were watching %)....so be sure this never changes my friend

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:23 am »

Thanks for the posts boys, cheered me up on end. Tug Kenny, that's looking. But I can explain, I but the photos in the computer & delete them from the camera. The camera then repeats the number.
I was getting a bit worried I thought I had upset you Derek. I know you can vouch for the fact my photography has improved 100%.
Off bowling now.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2017, 10:31:50 am »

I tend to load my camera pictures into a file on the computer and re-size them from megabytes down to 100K.  The new images are then stored under that boat's name in a new file with alphabetic names.

ie,  Model boat 'Titanic'  1,  then 2  etc.

Hope this helps.  (and save AGRO from these external holding sites)     %)

Once again, well done with your build.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:08 pm »

:o ....'I thought I had upset you Derek' ...wot me?...in OZ with the blazon sun beating down every day  {-)...we develop our backs and shoulders to be as tough as Crockadiles skin 

No...I know a little about some things ....and not a lot about others.....'mizzens, shackles, fathoms, yards etc' so I am just keeping my mouth shut lest my foot slips O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2017, 10:15:32 am »

Kenny, after I have posted construction photos I delete them. No interest to me but if I need them I can down load from here.
Derek we have the sun at present 31 degree in Teignmouth yesterday.
A lot has happened to family. Son went Aezberg Rodeo Austria, (have a look youtube) racing his motor bike, fell off broken collar bone so no racing.  My wife (cook, cleaner, gardener, shopper & carer) had a big operation. So no bowls, all those jobs down to me & I have to wear a nurse uniform. The good news if she goes to sleep I may get into work shop.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.