Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Models Irene  (Read 53378 times)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Art of Models Irene
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »

Just found more evidence on Irene. Harold H. Underhill, in Deep Water Sail said of "Irene" topsides painted white. Will do that should look good. Also she only has 1ft 2ins freeboard when down to her mark. That will be 1/2ins at my scale. So I will require more lead, but not down that low..

bbdave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2017, 05:59:05 pm »

Interesting read I'm about to undertake a pilot cutter build and it's good to look how others go about building and a fellow Teignmouth resident.

Dave

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »

The reason I won't be loading her down to 1ft 2ins is that is above the hole for the carry handle. Although I have a rubber washer to stop any splash I don't want it under water.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2017, 08:38:55 pm »

Finding it difficult to concentrate since my T.I.A. So I have abandoned the clinker punt for the time.
Changed to the rigging & making blocks.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2017, 05:23:24 pm »

Made the hinges for the wash ports, shown earlier how I make my small hinges,(page 4) so no repeat. The size can be judged by dress makers pin & 1.5mm holes.
Painted top sides white need another coat, & rub down, gloss showing imperfections.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2017, 03:26:13 pm »

Still making pulley blocks. One thing not shown, I cut a slither off the end of 15mm copper water pipe. Binding the block & providing a fixing point. This is not my original idea. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2017, 03:00:43 pm »

Completed enough blocks to get the gaffs up. So I was able to make patterns for the remaining sails. Will be making sails one a day, although won't be rigging them as I need proper cord. Instead of the string as now. On order but long time coming, even longer when waiting.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2017, 03:32:52 pm »

Finished the wash ports at last, after much experiment still can't get them to close automatically. Putting the pin out of line won't work as there isn't enough weight. Even tried lead instead of wood still no good. If they stay open after letting out water so what. The hinges stuck on with epoxy, the door nailed & nails riveted on inside. Frame nailed into stanchion. Just a delicate bit of painting now, not my best skill. The load line is the pencil line as 1929. Dr Morrish's plan shows it a lot lower as less ballast was carried. this didn't do the handling an favours apparently.  He also had port holes below the old load line.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2017, 06:16:20 pm »

That's a strange way for the washport doors to operate. I'm not saying its wrong but maybe if you had hinged at the top they would close better?

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 27, 2017, 04:54:23 pm »

Yes Brian top hung would be easy, unfortunately the prototype had them side hung. There's not alot I don't know about hanging doors, regularly hanging 48 per day.( that was 50 years a go) An expectable standard then would be 8 per day. The faster you are the better you had to be as the Clarke of Works would look a lot closer. As I said before the hinges would be thrown to make them shut. That is the top hinge fixed further in than the bottom, as the door opens it will rise, useful when floors are uneven. 

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:03 pm »

One lifebuoy turned off the end of a broomstick.
Ira Arthur Aldridge master1927 (no cert:). was responsible for the enclosed wheel house 1929.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2017, 03:41:01 pm »

Sent away for some rigging cord. After waiting a week it arrived, well I got it wrong far to thin. So I have decided to make a rope walk. Then I can make exactly what I want. 
Found a set of gears from my rubbish, probably out of an old printer. Turned axels to fit the bore with a sharp point on the end. Placed a small gear against the large on top of 3/4 ply. with the axial in each of the two, tap with hammer & gives the spacing. draw a circle & divide by three. Drill the holes starting with a small drill, then one of the correct size. Cut the point off axels & push through the holes. An angel cut on the axels of the  small gears where they protrude through the ply. These will hold the cord, & the tension will hold the gears in mesh. I am using an off cut of decking board for the track. That's the Whorls finished, when I have strapped the drill down, I will cut the ply to fit, plenty of length on top, if I need, just turn it over.  Just the Topper & Looper  to follow soon.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 29, 2017, 11:20:04 pm »

I will be watching RGY...... :o.....do it need a centre core?........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »

I was wondering where you had got to Derek.  :kiss: Keep looking. :o  Three strands twisted right= rope. three rope twisted left =cable. four strands twisted right over a centre core = shroud. This will need another gear in the whorl I do have another gear. the others will have to be re -spaced. Probably to much, depends how I get on. 
Ripe walk ready for test tomorrow, fingers crossed. Seven ft eight ins long should produce about five ft of rope. The pictures should be self explanatory. One thing the weight box stuck with tape as glue not dry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2017, 10:45:20 pm »

Right RGY >>:-(....I have heard of a Penny Farthing bi-cycle O0....but not a Penny Wheeled Rope Walk Trolley    :o

Thanks for the info on construction......your machine looks perfect...& a little less expensive that the US$2800.00 110 volt variable speed version I say on e-Bay....[from memory a link posted by our member Danielle from Switzerland]

Don't dismantle the machinery, as I may need to get some subcontract ropes/cables/shrouds made sometime in the future

[Flattening a penny coin under a train wheel was a pastime for kids......but big trouble :police: if you got caught ..... so just per chance do you know what form of wound construction was the hangman's twine?............]

Derek

PS 1....is it a two person operation ?...one to roll the wheels & walk the walk & the other to press the Patented Speed Controller?......if so just give me a yell & I'll pop over with a few bottles of Cider for morning Tea  {-)

PS 2.....from a constructional aspect, if we produced a rope, cable or shroud of 6' 6" in overall length and found it was 1" too long, would we reinstall it in the machine and the person in charge of the Patented Speed Controller reverse the mechanism to unwind the 1"...or do you just cut it off? :P

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:54 pm »

Q1 One man operation (person), sorry Derek couldn't afford the air fair. Nor could I afford pennies for the wheels, only Half pennies. On top of all that nurse band cider  :embarrassed: after my problem.
Q2 As you know rope is whipped on the ends to stop it unwinding. I just dab the end with super glue, where I want to cut it. I am a bit disappointed as I only get 4ft from 7.5ft. I have another length of decking board, could cut that down the middle, that would make 23ft.
As for the hangman's noose it did one of me ancestors no good at all. He didn't leave a note. Your  ancestor got off,  light just deported.   The English aristocracy treated us peasants worse than anyone.   :o
One mod on the walk, three saw cuts in the top, of the looper post & a nail at the bottom. saw cuts hold the treads until tied & the nail stops the looper falling to the floor. Works very well, at first nothing happens then all of a sudden the topper rushes up to the end, and have to stop it quick.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2017, 02:53:31 pm »

Back on the ships boat. I hold the next plank up against the last. (difficult to photograph need more hands.) Mark where it needs to be shaped. A touch of super glue at each end & join opposite side plank.(The ends cut off later.) In the vice & shaped with a spoke shave. When it fits mark how wide it needs to be at stem ,transom & temp frames. Join the marks by eye & trim down. Cut off the ends separate & glue on the boat. Leave till next day even with quick drying glue, as quite a pressure has to be applied.  See how bent the planks are. I am propping down from the ceiling as the squeeze on the planks pushes boat off the temp frame. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »

Pretty sophisticated rope walk! when I made mine I never bothered with the clamp for the drill, just hand held it. I also found that to get decent length I went the whole length of the hallway - 10 metres. Then I moved into the garden to get longer rope  %) with a set of pulley's to get the weight to swing correctly at the other end. My bobbin was free hanging with a small weight underneath to stop it twirling around.

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2017, 12:10:42 pm »

Thanks Brian, I have never done anything sophisticated before. Making 4ft is a wasteful way to make rope.  You have given me a good idea, I don't have a10 meter hall. I don't think it would go down well across the lounge into the kitchen.  But under my sun deck & conservatory will give me 35ft. I will dispense with the plank and fix the drill whorl unit & looper upside down on the joist. The topper can stay on the carriage hopefully the carriage will be heavy enough. I can leave it in place in the way of nothing.  :-))  Than you Brian.
R.G.Y.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »

A wile ago now Brian of Humber Trawler fame http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46369.0.html
asked if I was stitching the sails or relying on the glue only. All this time I have waited for a windy day, sure it came with rain also. I fixed the sail ( reject the bolt rope on the wrong side) to railings. Left there all morning no problems at all.  This was a sterner test as the railings don't give as the model will. So no stitching hurray.  {-)   The blue rope in background is washing line, most important to the wife. ;)

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:32 pm »

Ships boat planking completed at last, one problem it seems to have stretched on the jig. Could have left it hanging over the hatch, but no decided to cut off the back & add a new transom. The old shipwrights would cut a ship in half pull the ends apart & fill in the gap, so why not the other way around. Fitting out next.
Finished the pin rails on the bulwarks & the mast. cocktail sticks on rail & T pins on the mast. 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:01 am »

Coming along well mate, next time I build a ship with sails I'm going to pinch this idea! The novel approach to the planking on the small boat is novel, however looking at it in the photo's it seems to be a bit 'stubby' at the stern, out of proportion sort of. What I mean is, shouldn't it have a slight taper making it narrower toward the stern? Something just looks off?

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2017, 03:44:46 pm »

True Brian the consequence of reducing the length, well it certainly didn't help maters.  I think it has improved with the ribs pushing the middle out. I hope to push it further out with the thwarts.
The ribs are split down  bamboo kebab sticks. Boiled & soaked 24 hours & boiled again just before use.
Something else I am not happy with are the mast hoops. Way over scale, as I said before the pit fall working with out a plan. I have an idea, but the new will have to be made on the mast.   

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »

Made the parrals on main & mizzen gaffs. Small bits of plastic covering off electrical flex, strung on cord.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2017, 01:42:22 pm »

plastic tubes from cotton buds are the same size as the flex hammer :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.