Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: T.A.R.G.E.T - Rotating Seven gun turrets?  (Read 250904 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
Re: T.A.R.G.E.T - Rotating Seven gun turrets?
« Reply #325 on: December 01, 2017, 11:55:56 am »

Been following BobK's Agincourt build.......what a beast.
Would love to do a large scale Hood or KGV myself so have a slight vested intrest in this.
Will get the old thinking cap on while i am decorating my mother in laws spare room this afternoon.... :-))

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:08 pm »

Will get the old thinking cap on while i am decorating my mother in laws spare room this afternoon.... :-))
Stewart

Stewart,

It's the only reason I got involved - to stimulate the grey matter - I often find myself turning over a problem in my head seeking a solution whilst doing the mundane things - so I am now off to fit 3 radiators - great joy...

Re the smoke - I know Geoff has come up with a great solution on his build - just seeing if I can get more smoke without loads of batteries...

So far so good but testing in its early stages

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: December 01, 2017, 12:38:35 pm »

Stewart:  it is indeed !   Am I crazy?  Quite probably.  By all be tempted into a giant 1/96 warship.   %%

C-3PO has kindly been giving me technical assistance on controlling turret rotation for all seven turrets.  I will defer to his electronics/Arduino expertise in developing the technology for this.  I believe it will look really amazing on the water, something of a model boating first.  Once operational I am sure others will then want one.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #328 on: December 01, 2017, 06:48:57 pm »

Can I ask how the turrets are to be controlled? Is it going to be as simple as flick a switch and the turrets will dance a tune pre-programmed, then return to home position, of several switches with differing programmes? Or a custom control deck with pots for each turret, turn the pot, the turret turns.

I like the idea of the custom deck..........really got the grey matter going now.

Stewart

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2017, 07:04:11 pm »

Stewart:  C-3PO's system uses an electronic compass to find due north.  You rotate a knob on your transmitter to set the desired bearing angle, and any guns that can train on it will do so.  The clever bit is when your ship changes course the guns will continue to bear on that target, provided they can train onto it.  Natty  O0

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »

Can I ask how the turrets are to be controlled? Is it going to be as simple as flick a switch and the turrets will dance a tune pre-programmed, then return to home position, of several switches with differing programmes? Or a custom control deck with pots for each turret, turn the pot, the turret turns.

I like the idea of the custom deck..........really got the grey matter going now.

Eight people sat pond-side, seven with their own turret control box, eighth as fire control officer, passing them (electronically) targetting and fire instructions! %%

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2017, 07:07:12 pm »

I don't build warship models but am still very interested in this period of naval history.

I think that the hardware/software solution that has been arrived at for model use is a huge leap forward in achieving realism. Well done!

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:53 pm »

Now that is one sweet piece of kit.
Going to tag along on this, very very interesting.... :-))

Stewart

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2017, 08:23:11 am »

Or a custom control deck with pots for each turret, turn the pot, the turret turns.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

Custom Deck - This might interest you - https://youtu.be/4gAW0vQ24z8

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56800.msg592985.html#msg592985

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:07 am »

Smoke Generation - proof of concept #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXExgFkZVxM

C-3PO

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2017, 03:07:59 pm »

Now that is some serious gear.
Lots of work going into this, doff my cap to you sirs.

Not ventured down the Arduino route, stayed with Picaxe, the language is slightly easier to work with for me anyway.

A normal capital ship with 4 turrets will be slightly easier to manage rather than the 7 on BobK's leviathan.

Are you going to have some sort of valve arrangement on each barrel to simulate firing and then breach opening. It always makes me chuckle when you see these big guns hurl out massive projectiles with a huge bang and a mass of flames and when the breach is opened this whisp of smoke comes out the end of the barrel like in the old westerns with the old six shooters.

Stewart

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2017, 03:46:34 pm »

Stewart:  Getting 4 or 7 turrets turning, the only difference is in repeating the small electronics board and stepper for each.

The actual gun fire system will be based on Geoff's awesome Iron Duke model.  A small piston pushes a measured quantity of smoke fluid up through a Thermistor heating block inside the turret.  Very effective.  (photo: (c) Martin MBM).

On the actual ship, after firing, compressed air was blown up the barrel, so only a very small amount was visible when opening the breach.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2017, 04:42:15 pm »

Ooops

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: March 04, 2018, 11:26:22 pm »

After many iterations it looks like this will be the version that gets built for real for Bob K's HMS Agincourt- 11 microprocessors in all

C-3PO

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #339 on: March 04, 2018, 11:50:07 pm »

I think that  probably has more  functionality than the whole of the original ship, officers & crew!   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2018, 07:39:05 am »

I greatly appreciate your development work on this.  The overall effect will look awesome  O0

It seems you have been able to greatly simplify the system workings.  One module per turret + MCU master and slave.  Audio units a bonus !
Each turret system will have its own program to take into account different maximum bearing angles and whether park positions are fore or aft.  The programs are essentially very similar but with a few variables changed.
Stepper motors are essentially far more accurate than other means of rotational drives.

For those not into electronics, think of each module as a programmable ESC driving a (stepper) motor.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2018, 08:43:53 am »

The 11 little microprocessors may seem overkill at first glance.

There are multiple benefits from distributing the processing across units, as however good these little boards are they can only ever do one thing at a time.

But the most significant reason is simply cost - the little Arduino Nanos are sub £3.00 - the ones I bought recently where just £1.53 each

C-3PO

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2018, 11:07:40 pm »

I can't wait to see the methods of fitting and programing to come Bob.
Pond weed is your enemy

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2018, 05:06:02 pm »

TARGET update...

This will be the layout of components for a firing turret

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2018, 05:12:10 pm »

Most excellent C-3PO.  Nice Vero layout.  The non-firing turret boards will be similar but without the relay.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2018, 06:13:53 pm »

Lovely layout 3peeo, Why the 5v regulated tranny? Is that just for the nano board? From the specs for the nano it will take 20v to it Vin, I would have thought if you wanted to drop the voltage and make it regulated then a transistor down to 8v from 12v would be better, less wattage to lose as generated heat. Its not bent back so far that the heatsink is shorting the legs is it? What is the solid state relay for as well?

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:59 pm »

Hi Brian,

The 5v in the main is for the servo power supply which will pump fog fluid into the chamber heated by the thermistor (Geoff's gun smoke/fire system).

The relay board and stepper board are both 12v as are the stepper motors which is a little bit unusual for the 28BYJ 48 steppers.

I will run the Nano @ 5v regulated as I have seen articles about issues running Nano @ 12v as it's own voltage regualtor may well run hot - 12v is fine to run the Nano ONLY but you can't draw any current from the Nano 5v to run sensors/LEDs etc

New territory for me so may have to revise my plans.

C-3PO

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2018, 08:15:22 am »

Gotcha, thanks for the further explanation.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2018, 12:03:43 pm »

Bob,

You may need a bigger boat!!!

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »

Bob,
You may need a bigger boat!!!
C-3PO

It does look intensive as 10 boxes and 12 Arduino's.  I will only need 4 relays of course.
A good job I am installing this in a 2.2M battleship, 30cm wide and 17cm hull depth.

The thought of wiring up the box internals is a little daunting, but the wiring between boxes is fairly minimal.
What we will have is each turret with its own fire control system, plus master and slave director controllers, and a digital compass.  All operating from one Planet receiver.  No wiring between hull halves, director control commands are transmitted independently to each turret with its own rotation arc/firing zones programmed in. 

I have to say C-3PO this looks one awesome set up, and technically complex as it involves seven turrets.

Bob K
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.