Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The future of Model Boating ....  (Read 19719 times)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The future of Model Boating ....
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2018, 01:07:09 pm »

"Technicians service and repair those things that Engineers design and build"

Just to complicate matters, I was responsible for all of these disciplines during my career so what should my title have been other than Cantankerous old B****r ?

Regards
Terry H

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2018, 01:15:22 pm »

I am not sure of today, but 20 years ago the IEE and other institutes still had qualifications that would allow those with the older more traditional non-graduate background to move up through the ranks of engineers.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2018, 01:18:37 pm »

I am not sure of today, but 20 years ago the IEE and other institutes still had qualifications that would allow those with the older more traditional non-graduate background to move up through the ranks of engineers.

They do...

https://www.theiet.org/membership/profreg/ceng/

https://www.theiet.org/academics/accreditation/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2018, 02:33:08 pm »

I have to report that my Stanley (18 incher) again came into its own yesterday morning.  I was trying to decide which solenoid to hit to get the hot water back when afore mentioned friend said "that one"  There was a hurrump and all was working again.  My very own Brexit Bulldog!
Well done Stanley,
Roy
P.S. I think I am demoted to deputy assistant Techician (temp).  I can see from the above that a pass in woodwork and English O level does not quite get you to being an engineer , but I do write lovely reports.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:30 pm »

You can even make your own pencil    8)
 I can see from the above that a pass in woodwork and English O level does not quite get you to being an engineer , but I do write lovely reports.
 Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2018, 04:35:56 pm »

They do...

https://www.theiet.org/membership/profreg/ceng/

https://www.theiet.org/academics/accreditation/

Hmmm, back in my time, the early 60s, the IMechE constructively changed the rules each year which prevented any of my era joining up! After taking the requisite endorsements in one year, we found they'd changed the rules ensuring they no longer applied.

After three years of that stupidity I gave up, and I wouldn't join up now if they paid me! Not that I feel any need to do so having been retired for over 10 yrs.
Regards
Kit

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2018, 04:57:23 pm »

The weird thing is that I am referred to as both an engineer and a technician!
As a member of a front line squadron I'm an aircraft technician supervisor but in the past I have built and in some practices designed repair plates for Tornado aircraft. Whilst my trade calls me a Aircraft Technician Mechanical (A Tech (M)), my job description calls me an aircraft engineer working for IX(B) Squadron Engineering Flight! Confusing or what!!! %%

The only difference I have from other techies is my B Tech Eng in Aeronautical Engineering and Aircraft Maintenance but they still have the same trade name and get called engineers!

I'm 33 going on 34 and been modelling for 14 years with model boats, and since I was 10 with Airfix type model kits. For a while I was the youngest member of my club but we are starting to attract younger members again- what made the change?
We supported Wicksteed at War and got involved with the event, and whilst the weather may have helped, we had some amazing weekends over the last two years picking up four new members in one day, some of them had kids with them who couldn't keep their eyes off the big model battleships. One of our older members, Tony, even allowed the kids to have a go with his little destroyers which thrilled them. To get younger generations of modellers interested we have to go to events that they go to so they actually see what model boats have to offer. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2018, 06:52:23 pm »

Was simpler in AAC re the electrical side they were just Yeti's :}

Davew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2018, 08:18:06 pm »

A bit off track now can we get back to the future of model boating.
Davew
I am not sure about this

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2018, 11:17:31 pm »

Davew

Good idea :-))

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2018, 08:03:52 am »

Start them young!
Our son and 2 cousins 1980's

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2018, 12:50:48 pm »

Hi BrianB6
You have planted the model boat seed and they will come back to it, if in later in life with their kids.
It may not be your thing of modelling, but, with all the new tech stuff it will still modelling !!!
One of my grand daughters is boating nut and who started that one ???
Once a week she calls to see what Poppie's up to in the shed !!

Canabus

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2018, 02:36:33 pm »

When I was at Wings and Wheels a couple of weeks ago,  I recognised someone from Broomfield Model boat Club, he told me that the club had been dissolved. I think that's the last of the North London model boat clubs, as Wood green went years ago. Broomfield boating pond is in a right old state at present, full of muck and bullets.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2018, 02:59:18 pm »

When I was at Wings and Wheels a couple of weeks ago,  I recognised someone from Broomfield Model boat Club, he told me that the club had been dissolved. I think that's the last of the North London model boat clubs, as Wood green went years ago. Broomfield boating pond is in a right old state at present, full of muck and bullets.

Above all else, we are dependent on members and water, not always in that order. With council budget cuts and the rise of this 21st century weed problem, boating waters are, at best seasonal, at worst, unusable.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2018, 05:58:59 pm »

Davew

I thought talking ourselves round in circles, going completely off track and going off at a tangent talking nonsense most of the time WAS  what model boating was all about...………...well at least it was in the two clubs that I was secretary and vice commodore in..……..our chairman used to round off AOB  and the meeting with "right, do what you do best, talk amongst yourselves, i'm off't tut pub"

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2018, 07:29:02 pm »

Well Neil you can't win that post was supported with ''A good idea''and the guy that posted that previously posted
''In North America train drivers are called engineers''. Whilst in all the other sections some degree of order needs to be regarding  the topic but good grief this is a Chit Chat section

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2018, 08:19:52 pm »

Well Neil you can't win that post was supported with ''A good idea''and the guy that posted that previously posted
''In North America train drivers are called engineers''. Whilst in all the other sections some degree of order needs to be regarding  the topic but good grief this is a Chit Chat section

you got me beat there, Jaymac……...I didn't understand a word you said there, sorry.. %% :embarrassed: 

sorry mate...…...I re-read it and with a pause here and there, I now understand fully what you say...……..yes...….the good idea of going to the pub was the best idea of each boring meeting once a month, lol.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2018, 11:37:40 pm »

now, talking about going to the pub, I bypassed that this evening...……...and this one is for you Derek Warner and Raarty……

I haven't tasted a Barossa valley wine since I left OZZ  40 years ago..……….but found this one........a catchy name for the young at mind, in a shop the other day...….,

And after letting it breath for an hour or so in our wonderful summer that we are having....[similar in fact to those I spent in OZZ on the beach, ...………..I can tell you guys..……………..It was worth the 40 year wait to  taste a wonderful full bodied fruity Barossa valley red Shiraz again.........….i'm going back for a few more bottles tomorrow.

you guys certainly DO  make the best wines in the world.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2018, 03:33:28 am »

Sorry Neil......unable to comment on this Australian Uncaged Shiraz, as it appears that the entire vintage has been shipped to the UK......not available in OZ & they don't know when or if it will be available >:-o

Not to worry, when next passing the grog shop I might get a 6 pack of Old Vine Shiraz....it's only $80.00 per bottle   O0

I do think this wine would certainly be in line with the thread .... as contemplating the build or the future of model boating would certainly be accompanied with a glass or two of this nectar of the Gods..................  :P

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2018, 08:49:52 am »

Is there a link between cost of the model and the age of the modeller?

Do young people ever buy big, expensive models?

Do parents (GOGs) spend huge amounts on models as presents for young Johnny for him to get fed up & dump the debris in the loft?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:49 am »

Think it boils down to wealth of the modeller(or their parents), plus the amount of cash they're prepared to sink into a hobby.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2018, 10:15:15 am »

It just depends on how you prefer to spend your disposable income - what there is of it. Everyone is different.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2018, 11:06:58 am »

Is there a link between cost of the model and the age of the modeller?

Do young people ever buy big, expensive models?

Do parents (GOGs) spend huge amounts on models as presents for young Johnny for him to get fed up & dump the debris in the loft?

If I could speak on behalf of the "O F " generation; I buy kits  or hulls that will give me cerebral exercise in building them , I don't buy kits that are a straightforward stick together but things that will exercise the grey matter as well as giving satisfaction when completed. To this end I tend towards the upper end of the market and also the more complex in the hope that this will maintain faculties of the mind and also take longer thus providing the incentive to hang on to achieve completion. To this end I overlap projects thus keeping the grim reaper at bay.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »

Sorry Neil......unable to comment on this Australian Uncaged Shiraz, as it appears that the entire vintage has been shipped to the UK......not available in OZ & they don't know when or if it will be available >:-o

Not to worry, when next passing the grog shop I might get a 6 pack of Old Vine Shiraz....it's only $80.00 per bottle   O0

I do think this wine would certainly be in line with the thread .... as contemplating the build or the future of model boating would certainly be accompanied with a glass or two of this nectar of the Gods..................  :P

Derek

you have me drooling Derek...…….and as you say, one has to give one's palette and brain food in order to stimulate thought........that wine surely does look the biz...……...just as a matter of interest, what is the average price of a bottle of baccus's best these days out there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.