Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: prop shafts  (Read 3315 times)

ttony47

• new to all of this buiding
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
prop shafts
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »

Hello all is any one able to tell me the diffrence /advantage ? if any of a fineline propshaft  against a standard propshaft ,as im constucting my power train in thought and in the basket on cornwall model boats site

Thanks Tony
a m ledster

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: prop shafts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:32:00 am »

Tony......could I suggest you search ....fineline propshaft  .....in our MBM search function

You will find a number of comments ....one of which discusses an eccentricity or quality issue

Prop shaft is another good subject to search on...we have quite a number of excellent discussion posts on lubrication

The Fineline product is listed as with a stainless outer tube, whereas other brands have brass or nickel brass outer tubes

If you were to covert a prop shaft by adding an external oiling tube, certainly the brass or nickel brass outer prop shaft tube would be far easier to solder than attempting a welded joint to a stainless tube.............

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 10:04:48 am »

If you were to covert a prop shaft by adding an external oiling tube, certainly the brass or nickel brass outer prop shaft tube would be far easier to solder than attempting a welded joint to a stainless tube.............

Derek

Why not just soft solder it using the correct flux phosphoric acid is one.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

I enjoy soft soldering like [similar] brass/bronze/copper....or any RED metal and use Bakers zinc chloride based liquid flux  :-))

Gas flame heating of like RED materials all have similar characteristics in absorbing heat, whereas any of the 300 Grade austenitic series stainless metals have opposite heat reflective tendencies ....all of which do not engender for maintaining the fluid or unburnt state of the flux

From this, I find considering the soft soldering of composite materials such as stainless and brass as a process best not attempted if at all possible

Another consideration would be the cost of the phosphoric acid at 32.50 Pounds UK for as a bottle a little expensive   {-) ....and would I ever use this flux again?  >>:-(...........

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:18:02 pm »

The fineline propshafts allow you to have an outer shaft up to the "A" Frame and still retain an almost scale appearance.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:25:11 am »

I used the fineline type on my last build and I am using them again on my current build for the reason above, they look more scale than the standard type.

But they do seem to flex easily because it is also thinwall tube. But if the outer end is supported by an A or P frame or indeed the bracketry of a kort nozzle and the inner ends are also supported then there is no problem with them.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:49:17 am »

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 03:16:44 pm »

coca cola contains phosphoric acid, great for removing rust.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »

My Graupner Lotse came with a fineline prop tube and had a lubricator included.  This was a clamp-on and screw down fitting in plastic.  I don't know if it still exists in Graupners inventory. 
Why solder to the tube?  Why not slide a brass sleeve over the tube and solder to that?  The brass sleeve with its lube tube attached will be happily fixed using a smear of epoxy.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:26 pm »

Tony......could I suggest you search ....fineline propshaft  .....in our MBM search function

You will find a number of comments ....one of which discusses an eccentricity or quality issue

Prop shaft is another good subject to search on...we have quite a number of excellent discussion posts on lubrication

The Fineline product is listed as with a stainless outer tube, whereas other brands have brass or nickel brass outer tubes

Derek

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:54:14 pm »

Welding a ss tube could distort it.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »

There is no need to weld stainless when you can use a suitable soft solder. While looking at some of the suppliers at the Model engineering Exhibition at London I found this.
http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/soft-solders/index.asp
2207 silver tin flux cored suitable for stainless steel. £5.29 for 1 metre which should do a few shafts. Look at the bottom of the page to find it.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 10:04:59 pm »

That looks good stuff  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.