Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Queen Mary  (Read 79414 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Queen Mary
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2017, 08:51:51 pm »

A stitch in time Ken...

Colin

Yes indeed Colin.  Any further in the build and it would have been impossible to correct.   I was in doubt about the curves etc when building it as the shape seemed  'not right' , and features did not line up as per the pictures I have of her.  She is actually quite a thin ship but very tall.  Mine was 30mm wider in the centre section, which is a lot in modelling terms.

I just hope I can salvage enough of the planking to proceed.

cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:49 pm »

If you have a sanding bit for your power drill, you might be able to cut as much of the old frames away as poss and then sand the remaining frame wood away to save damaging the planking by pulling and levering. Would the planks retain any of their curves once parted?
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2017, 09:34:33 pm »

It should be fun  I'll try the  'Sonic'  cutter  (with headphones on of course)   :}

ken

Stavros

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:51 pm »

WOA slow down and sit and think about this....Right how about this....Why not dremel down to within 1mm of the planks and simply place your new frames either in front or behind the old frames....might be barking up the wrong tree(excuse the pun) could be worth a try

Dave

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 10:26:46 am »

Hi ya there Ken

Sad to see that things haven't worked out as planned - sometimes they don't - but when you do have the right plans and the hull doesn't match, it is best policy to start over again.   

As far as salvaging planks - have you thought about placing what is left of the model in the bath and pouring boiling kettle water over it - obviously careful for your hands.   After a few goes - this tends to soften and break free the majority of glues - I DO HAVE THE TEE SHIRT here :-)   that happened to me on one of my builds a while ago - when I noticed the hull had a twist in the keel even though I put it on the building board - another story.

Having said that hand on heart - even though I salvaged several planks I couldn't get them to lie properly like freshly cut planks - so out of maybe 100 I salvaged I only ended up using about 40 of the blighters :-)

John :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2017, 10:32:26 am »

Morning Dave.  Yes,  I am studying the situation and will be  hoping to preserve the overall integrity of the  'joined together'  planking.   (I agree it should stay preserved  'Ballastanksian' )

Thanks for the idea John.  I had considered soaking them but didn't want to damage them.  I'll try the dry fit first and see how much I can preserve.

I have started to cut the new frames and the difference is astounding.  I was over 60mm too wide amidships and this is what niggling me, as it looked too wide for the real ship. I did at least get the height and length correct.

Hopefully I can refit the new wall of planking in one go as most of it is flat.  I anticipate problems at the (now) straight bow lines, as the old planking glue has set them in a curve.  This will have to be split apart but doesn't seem a major problem at the moment and I have plenty of wood. The enclosed picture shows the two halves close together and even this it too wide ??????

It's great to proceed knowing I'm on the right path now.  Thank you fellas for all your interest.  I'll be back.

ken

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »

A good portion of the sides and the bottom are a flat slab - why not save your planking skills for the curved bits only and make the flat bits out of a thicker wood plank - sort of 50% bread & butter construction?

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2017, 03:29:56 pm »

I guess its a bit late now but you could have bought my waterline Queen Mary at 1/200 from Fleetscale who have all my moulds.I built this years ago for a Canadian client as a w/l model . With this moulded upperworks you could have added the bottom of the hull but I have only just read this thread.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2017, 10:42:01 am »

Thank you plastic.  I hope to save as much of the  'bonded together wood'  as I possibly can.  It's turning out to be a very interesting way of building a boat and I'm enjoying the challenge to the ol grey cells.   :}

It's very kind of you to offer, John. Thank you indeed for your thoughts.  The new frames are in the process of being  'sized up' and it's going together a lot better with not being curved so much.  There will be pictures soon of the progress and I'm really  'buoyed up'   about this model.  I have a wealth of data now, so I'm chugging along at full steam ahead.

I've just finished opening my 75th birthday presents and pleased to get on with the extra glue I received.  (how did they know that's what I wanted   {-)  )

Cheers

ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2017, 11:35:45 am »

The real plans have arrived.  (told you I was keen !!)

It seems I've made a few errors on the  length,  width,  and  height,  but hey,  I've got the wood the right colour.

Tomorrow we start again.     8)

ken

Did you get the Underhill plans, Ken?   When I bought my QM hull I got some of the Underhill plan set but was missing the General Arrangement side view.  Does that sheet have the plating details and porthole sizes on it?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2017, 11:37:34 am »

Happpppppppppppppppppppy 75th birthday Ken....from all of us  O0

Making any matchsticks lately?....... {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2017, 11:47:11 am »

Did you get the Underhill plans, Ken?   When I bought my QM hull I got some of the Underhill plan set but was missing the General Arrangement side view.  Does that sheet have the plating details and porthole sizes on it?

Hi TailUK,

Unfortunately no.  I have bought  the  (Expensive) book by Ross Watton featuring the Queen Mary which includes the workshop drawings and scale plans for the ship.  I may be able to answer particular questions of detail should you be interested.  Can I assume you are also building this magnificent ship ?

Cheers,
ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2017, 11:49:43 am »

Thank you Derek,

My.... it's been an interesting and busy morning.  Not one drop of glue has been used yet.    :}     :}

I never thought I'd reach this age, what with all the defects.    {-)  {-)

Off for a celebratory McDonalds now.  Catch you all later.

Cheers

ken

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »

Hi TailUK,

Unfortunately no.  I have bought  the  (Expensive) book by Ross Watton featuring the Queen Mary which includes the workshop drawings and scale plans for the ship.  I may be able to answer particular questions of detail should you be interested.  Can I assume you are also building this magnificent ship ?

Cheers,
ken

I bought a partially complete hull at Whitwick last year and it's drifting slowly to the top of the build list.  It was built as a static model as the props had been glued onto the end of the prop tubes which had been plugged with putty.  The hull had been painted black at some point and I assume that the portholes had painted on as well.
The Ross Watton book is very good especially when you begin to detail but I found it a little wanting some areas.  The only side views are to 1/700 scale which makes figurering the size and spacing of portholes a bit tricky. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 01:39:40 pm »

Happy Birthday Ken!

With regard to the portHOLES. At 1:200 scale a very effective way to simulate them for little effort is to get some Trimline tape, either dark blue or black as you prefer and punch them out with a leather punch.

Run some masking tape along the painted hull to follow the sheer line with the top edge at base of porthole level and mark in pencil the locations of the portholes. Then apply them in groups until you go cross eyed and need a rest. The adhesive is waterproof and the tape is really thin. You will find it looks very effective. The photo below is a scan of a badly faded print of my Empress of Britain model to 1:150 scale which used this technique.

Colin

Trawlerman-Les

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Happy birthday Ken. Mine today too, but I'm just a youngster of 66!  ;)

Les

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2017, 06:56:10 pm »

We share 1942 Ken - what a vintage! Many happy returns. The original QM was 'born' about a mile from where I arrived, in Clydebank a few years prior.  :-))
Bob,

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2017, 07:02:14 pm »

1942 was a vintage year for us :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2017, 07:26:08 pm »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEN 21 AGAIN - HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOUR McDONALD'S HAPPY MEAL
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2017, 07:44:41 pm »

Here's my window shot, TailUK.  Yes there are a few mmmh!!!  A bit more research needed methinks.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2017, 07:45:42 pm »

Happy birthday as well Les.  Not a good year for Kings back then.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2017, 07:49:37 pm »

Hi John,

Just woken up.    It was a great fat gut filling load of calories indeed, so had to sleep that one off.    {-)    {-)   Good job I had the sense to renew my wood stock of planking ready for tomorrow's work out.

Cheers

ken

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2017, 08:53:03 pm »

Happy Birthday Ken! Keep on building those ships and trucks.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »

Thank you Ballastanksian.

The workshop opens tomorrow.  You should see the sawdust on everything.     {-)   The  'Cleaner'  has vowed to go around with the vac first.  tehe

ken

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »

Happy birthday Ken :-))  You're catching up to me, I was 80 on January 25 <:(

I'm following the QM build with great interest, she was a proper ship O0

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.