Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Queen Mary  (Read 79413 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Queen Mary
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »

looking superb, and sublime. Amazing attention to detail, and a lovely model.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2017, 03:32:58 pm »

I love this build Ken its looking great and looking forward to the next post  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:17 pm »

You will be the star portrait in the model shops 2018 calendar at this rate Ken! I am sure even the most diehard of railway modellers would baulk at buying ten feet of fence! That is serious layout modelling quanitites we are talking here:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2017, 08:41:33 pm »

Thank you for the kind comments.   :-))

No pictures today as there's no difference at the moment.  The extra fences are on order so I'm working on the davit's rigging in readiness for the lifeboat to be attached.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
Queen Mary - wartime dress
« Reply #304 on: May 22, 2017, 12:42:47 am »

Looking through some old photos with a mate yesterday and came across this. Not the best quality snap of the Queen Mary sometime during WW2.

Queen Mary
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: May 22, 2017, 03:02:35 am »

Here is another image of TMH Queen Mary [1942 period]......anchored off Garden Island Naval Dockyard just down from the Sydney Harbour Bridge

The RED oval is a building at the very western end of the GID ferry wharf

She would have required both a bow and stern anchor to safely moor there O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Queen Mary - wartime dress
« Reply #306 on: May 22, 2017, 08:43:05 am »

Looking through some old photos with a mate yesterday and came across this. Not the best quality snap of the Queen Mary sometime during WW2.

Queen Mary

That's a great picture.  It must be quite early in her military career as she's not fitted with the de-gaussing coils.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:07 am »

I remember reading several years ago from a second hand book shop the Pen and Sword book 'Queen Mary and the Cruiser'. If you can find the book it explains the incident very well and how secret it was mainly for moral purposes but it covers the events that led to the collision of the Queen Mary into the HMS Curacoa or the other way round depending on the opinion given. But I seem to remember seeing some pictures in the centre of the book of both vessels during the war. When I get home I'll fetch the book out and upload the pictures.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2017, 09:16:30 am »

I remember reading several years ago from a second hand book shop the Pen and Sword book 'Queen Mary and the Cruiser'. If you can find the book it explains the incident very well and how secret it was mainly for moral purposes but it covers the events that led to the collision of the Queen Mary into the HMS Curacoa or the other way round depending on the opinion given. But I seem to remember seeing some pictures in the centre of the book of both vessels during the war. When I get home I'll fetch the book out and upload the pictures.

Look out for "Warrior Queens" as well.  A very good account of the military service of both the Mary and the Elizabeth.  The photo above must be about 1940 when the QM became the largest ship ever to sail into Sidney harbour.  Interesting trivia; The forgings for the Queen Mary and much of the steel for the Sydney Harbour bridge came from the same foundry.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »

The lifeboat davits are all strung up ready for the little boats.  These are waiting for the 10 foot of railings on order at the local model shop.  They have to be fitted first before the side decks get crowded.    %)

Whilst I'm waiting, I decided to fit the 4 drive motors and steering servo and get it all lined up.  It took all day to get the angles right. I have used a flexible pipe to cut down on vibrations.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: May 29, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »

Fantastic job Kenny :-)) All in a few months, and we are in awe of your skills. It would be great to see her afloat this year, the 50th anniversary of her last voyage to Long Beach.
Bob.

T33cno

« Reply #311 on: May 29, 2017, 08:38:08 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Curacoa_(D41)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: May 29, 2017, 08:41:16 pm »

Thank you the kind comments,  I'm heading for that anniversary Nemo.    :-))

I have been working with the fiddly bits and mass production sections and am pleased to show all her lifeboats now on board.

I am concentrating on the Bow section at the moment as the railings are still on back order, so took a chance with the lifeboat assemblies.

As the weather has improved, I have taken her outside for her first float test in the pool.  I am pleased to report there are 'No' water leaks into the hull.  It was glassed on this precaution in readiness.  She floats fine without the top section fitted but  (same as the Titanic I built)  when the upper works are fitted she rolls over as expected.

I fitted an assortment of heavy lead batteries to the hull to test for  the 'tip over'  factor and determined she will need ballast in the keel totalling over 15 pounds and fitted as low as possible.  (phew).    Failing a successful balancing act then I will go with Colin's suggestion (for my Titanic) of a removable drop keel, like a yacht.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

T33cno

« Reply #313 on: May 29, 2017, 08:44:39 pm »

Amazing  8)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »

Thanks for the information T33cno.   :-))

There is a film  on Youtube about the incident.  I do have the damage pictures in my records and she's quite a sturdy ship, the  'Ol mary'.  She held the water back until she got back home.  All credit to the internal watertight bulkheads.

Did anyone see the TV last week about her.  An hour of praise and details about the construction.  All very interesting stuff. I would advise seeing it on 'catch up TV',  as every time you look at, you can see something different in details.

Cheers

ken

ps        I have fitted nameplate on,  and started on the funnel rigging.    :}

T33cno

« Reply #315 on: May 29, 2017, 08:51:39 pm »

There was a documentary on TV a couple of months ago that was so interesting from her start stop build to present day.
Incredible history

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: May 29, 2017, 08:57:16 pm »

The more you read about her, the more you fall in love with her.  There's so much detail that people just do not know of or appreciate.

I plan to add the tiny details that  'clogs' the decks.  Anyone know what colour the tennis court was please ?

ken

T33cno

« Reply #317 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:17 pm »

Last aired April 3rd. Pity they won't sell a DVD

Try this resource Kenny

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/visions/decks.html

T33cno

« Reply #318 on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:50 pm »

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: May 29, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »

Cheers Andy,  you're a mine of information.  Fancy coming up with that picture so quickly. I appreciate colour photography wasn't around in those days but it really is a valuable resource.

I have the construction book already, as it would not be possible to build her otherwise. Thanks for the information as I am always grateful for more details than I ever imagined would be needed.  I have noticed the she is even on Facebook as well as the other well know sites.

Cheers

ken

T33cno

« Reply #320 on: May 29, 2017, 09:25:51 pm »

Glad to be of help Ken

I would say from the description that it is just regular deck "Teak" it says

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:33 pm »

The picture above shows the  'courts'  on the stern of B deck.  You can see the wash from the propellers behind it.

The original first class court was between the first and second funnel on A deck and wasn't very large so it may have been just for Badmington.  (until the wind caught it  !  tehe).   It's shown  (in black and white) as marked out, so maybe your suggestion  is correct and it was original wood colour.  (not to worry as the people that would have played there are long gone).

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: May 29, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »

Teak weathers to a silvery grey colour.

Colin

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2017, 09:47:45 pm »

Hi Colin.

The change of deck colour would look good on the  'courts'  and make it stand out.   :-))

ken

T33cno

« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2017, 09:50:22 pm »

Britannia weathered

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.