Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: more pilot cutter questions  (Read 4112 times)

jax

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
more pilot cutter questions
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:38:43 pm »

Didn't manage to make a real start to work on my pilot cutter over the holidays but I have a couple more questions that occurred to me while looking at the plans.
 (A) I am puzzled that there is  a sheet running from the sail arm out through the deck aft of the cockpit to the boom, surely the tiller will interfere with this.

(B) length of hull is about 510mm, the hatches are small what battery would be best.

Hopefully these will be my last questions (at least for some time!)

misog

• Full Mayhemer
Re: more pilot cutter questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:29:06 pm »

Hi Jax

I use 6 volt reciever packs in my case the humpback variety which are quite compact.

Depending on which servo you use, it may require the full 6 volts rather than the 4.8 volts supplied by a 4 cell holder that is normally supplied with the radio sets.

With regard to the main sheet fouling the tiller. you could run the sheet to an eye on the boom located above a convenient point for access through the deck out of the way of the tiller.

Hope this makes sense.

Misog

jax

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »

Miss

Thanks for your reply just one point, and maybe I'm being thick but could you clarify 'humpback variety'

jax

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:17:21 pm »

Sorry Misog, should have noticed, predictive text must have decided you preferred to be called called Miss!

Sparky

• sparky
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 03:44:21 pm »

Looking at the side view on the plan, it looks like a rigid link between the servo & rudder, which would be offset to one side.
Hope this helps !

Sparky.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »

Humpback
Four in a square block with one sat
On top giving you 6 V if you are using
NiMh rechargeable.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 10:30:34 am »

Hi Jax

Pretty much as Ned said, mine are 3 cells with 2 on top. Got them from modelsport at Otley.

If you go down this route, you need to connect it all up using a Y lead to get the benefit of the extra volts. I'll try and put up a diagram.

I assume you're building the small Katie from Traplet. What's the moulding like?

Misog

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 12:29:06 pm »

Alternate battery pack choice, if the humpback is too large.
A square 4x AA battery holder.
Using rechargeable batteries, this will give you 4.8v. Unless you are sailing in heavy winds this will be enough voltage, as you are not sailing a large model.
Using regular batteries you will get 6v.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »

Hi Tiger

If Jax is building the model I think he is then you're probably right about the 4AA holder as it's only 20" long.

Not sure how a small model like this will sail with only internal ballast, but looking forward to seeing how this model performs (hopefully he say's).

I forgot that you'd get 6v from regular batteries, but without the Y lead it wouldn't be passed to the servo.

Misog

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 01:51:52 am »

I have no Y leads on my models. But no motors, BEC or speed controller either. The battery pack and servos  plug directly into the receiver

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 08:56:11 am »

I have models that are exactly like yours, but I also have models that use large greedy servos with sail arms that just don't get enough current to operate properly without the Y lead.

A small model like the one in question will probably be fine with the set up you describe, just advising what works for me. It's up to the individual to make thier own mind up.

Misog

jax

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 03:07:02 pm »

Thanks for all your replies, helpful as always.

Misog, As I'm a beginner to sailing models I've never handled a grp hull before so nothing to compare it with. It seems well finished to me certainly much more solid than I expected. I think I will have to be careful attaching the fittings for the rudder though.

For a variety of reasons I wanted to build a smaller model just now, (I intend to start something bigger when I retire) I expect there will be lots of days when sailing it will not be advisable. (should maybe look out my fishing waders)

I bought a grp hull to save me construction time which is just as well as my wife has now asked me to produce a piece of artwork for my son's birthday present so the boat will be on the shelf for a bit. (She is also hinting that she is compiling a list of tasks to "stop me getting bored" when I retire)

I'll let you know how things go with the build (if you don't hear you'll know I've failed and gone back to painting small soldiers!!!).

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:16 am »

A well balanced model will sail well. Although in theory a larger model sails better, that is not always true.

I have a Thunder Tiger Victoria, 780mm and I have a Victor Models Mary J Ward 860mm.  I have sailed both in very strong winds and rough water. In moderate winds both sail very well and don't take on water. I have also had a Chinese sailboat of about 1m, that only sailed in very light winds, and took on water.
[/size]The big difference was the first two were well balanced and designed with adequate ballast and keel depth. The later was perhaps just copied dimensions with no understanding of design.

[/size]There is no reason why your 500mm boat should not sail well, even in a good breeze. My only advice is, don't be tempted to try and improve on the original design to 'improve' performance. A pilot cutter is not a race boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.