Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow thruster / Main thruster  (Read 9103 times)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Bow thruster / Main thruster
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 10:17:00 pm »

BFG, when you have sorted the leakage, i will be in line to buy at least 2, what sort of price are you paying shapeway?

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:15 am »

Hi Mark, at the moment I am on version 5 of the pump body. I keep finding slight flaws and areas I can improve on, the latest is adding guide veins at both inlet/outlets. Also trying to keep the price down on manafacturing costs is another reason to keep adjusting the design, the original version cost over £80 from shapeway, I have it now down to just over £60 but that may have to change if this version doesn't stand up to full power testing.
I am in the middle of purchasing my own 3D printer so I may be able to bring the price down even more once I work out how to use it and how well the PLA or ABS stand up to tests.
I should have version 5 submitted for pre print report by the end of today and if all goes well and funds allow I shall have this printed up so can test with the newer motor and sealing arrangement.
So to be realistic, I cant really give a price just yet, but I really do hope I can knock these out, fully built for under £100 bearing in mind the cost of quality brushless motors and Raboesch props this may not be possible........Let's see how the development goes and take it a step at a time. Thanks for showing an interest in my attempts and is heartening that someone is willing to pay for it, just hope I can succeed.

Regards

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 08:57:31 am »

HI Stewart, R&D costs money and heartache, all is well till it fails somewhere else, thats development at its best/worst!!!! i will pay for good gear, look at the price of Raboesch bow thrusters, you are not far out in pricing yours.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Mark 
Tugs are for pulling

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 05:09:36 pm »

Use cheaper Brushed Motors and Plastic Props.

Len.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 05:20:48 pm »

Use cheaper Brushed Motors and Plastic Props.

Len.

I think the idea is to develope a
Product that is quality and will
be durable.
Cheap components won't last the distance.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 06:47:19 pm »

The idea is to put out a quality product that will last (hopefully). Plastic props have crossed my mind also 3D printed props, but at the moment I shall keep it as a quality item until such time when I am on the deck of my super yacht, I shall do a cheapo version...... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

Finally finished the design on the pump body and cap and now well within a fairly decent price at Shapeways.
My only concern now is the actual motor casing design, I have a slight nagging feeling in the back of my head that is going to leak, so I am going to continue with a newer design before I commit to getting this printed up, a shame really as I was making inroads and was looking forward to another bath tub test session!!!!
Some more thoughts on this design for use on a model boat is instead of the normal installation at the bow end going across the beam of the ship, because of it width (100mm), it could be installed midships and plumbed in with hose pipe to the outlet nozzles installed in the bowor stern. Outlet is 30mm dia, if need a smaller outlet simply print up a reducing bush and use 20mm dia pipe. May have a bash at drawing that up so you can decipher my Heath Robinson ramblings............. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{  Oh well, some more hours burning the midnight oil.

Thanks for looking and putting up with my ideas!

Regards

Stewart

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 03:42:22 pm »

Hi Stewart, 2 thoughts, 1, what about an Oring seal round the case, and, 2 the outlet tube size with a collar, 20mm or 30mm would work for most models.

Heath Robinson has been responsible for some great products, dont put your efforts down, you have come a long way in a short time!!!!

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »

Will the motor need maintenance Stew??  If not can it just be glued/moulded in place??

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 06:25:26 pm »

Cheers guys for your input, much appreciated.
I think I may have come up with a simple solution for sealing the two halves of the body together that will work. The only thing now that can fail is the shaft seals on either end, so to overcome that I think I may need to fill the body with an oil, this not only insulates/lubricates the motor it acts as a pressure barrier against ingress of water. I seem to remember years ago we trialed an oil filled submersible pump and it worked, so I shall go down this route. Just need to sit in front of the PC now and study the 3D images and see if it is doable, if it is doable, will people want this type of maintenance/installation............ {:-{
The joys of developing a crazy idea into something of use...... :-)) :-)) :-))
Cheers guys, keep you posted.

Stewart
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.