Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alva B wooden steam tug  (Read 2464 times)

daves

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Alva B wooden steam tug
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »

i am atempting to build a fully timbered and framed model of this vessel. i started a build log at this link however because this forum actuall has a tug bost topic it might be better to create the build log here.

i do have a number of questions before i even begin to draw the modeling plans. So if i can find knowledgable people i casn continue.

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?27263

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alva B wooden steam tug
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:10:54 am »

Suggest You check out Pat Mathews build of 1932 Ford Tug "Dearborn"; it is a very similar style tug hull;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?775147-1932-Ford-Tug-Dearborn
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

daves

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »

thank you for the build log link i read it from start to finish.

here is a question looking at this drawing of the Alva i got to wonder. The blue line is the waterline why is this built with the cabin level to the waterline but the wheelhouse has such a slant to it? The walls, floor and roof all slant back is there a reason it is built this way?

daves

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »

here is another question
the light blue line is the shaft running through the shaft log, if this is the case the timbers are hollow.
so how is frames 37 and 38 attached. The rest of the 1/2 frames along the deadwood are through bolted.

daves

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:33:50 pm »

this is the big question
if such a hull were built on a level keel, then when the hull is floating all the frames will slant backwards, but if the keel was set on blocks with the rake and the frames were built on the keel with a level waterline than the frames will be perpendicular to the waterline when the hull is floating. so which way was this hull framed in level with the waterline or keel?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 04:45:46 pm »

Hi Dave - I'm no expert but here are my thoughts.  I personally would not be thinking as deeply about my build.  I would build it as per the plans and then worry about how it sits in the water at a later date and use lead to get it sitting right in the water.  My only concerns at this point would be that the prop shaft and possibly the rudder tubes would be well below the water line.  This can be sorted by using Raboesh prop shafts and 0 rings on the rudder tube.  Also my other concern if i was using a steam plant would be how to place it so that it was level when running.  Its just the way I build buts its not for everyone.  Good luck with your build  :-))

daves

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 05:18:19 pm »

actually i did not make myself clear about the model. This is a static architectural type model as a study of the design and construction of such a vessel. The steam engine will be drafted and 3D print files created to show what it looks like. So i am trying to get every last detail into the model if possible.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 11:22:55 pm »

Morning Dave........just a few observations

1. you have a water line for the original 1890 Drawings
[even without CAD facilities it is clear our forefathers had great skills in lofting and ship Drawing skills]
2. many vertical or and horizontal references have imported the Drawings into CAD. Apart from the waterline, many of these line references will continue to confuse you
3. you also mention that you have contacted a Ship Repairer of vessels of similar vintage....and their response will hopefully confirm a few basic building principals

My best guess for construction are as follows

a. yes the keel would have been blocked and chocked so the hull frames would have been in true vertical alignment during the build
b. the boiler bed would also have been at 90 degrees to the vertical........[two water gauges or pipes I have highlighted would require by design to be truly vertical when the vessel was at her waterline]
c. the vertical axis of the engine to be at 90 degrees to the angle lay of the propeller shaft
d. when the vessel was at her waterline, deck and roof levels would be angled to the stern, with doors at that same angle off the vertical

There are also many publications of Wooden Built vessels of similar displacement/design & vintage and would be a valued read they would also allay any fears of the correct method of construction

A number of compromises will be needed with a model build, however a reasonably true model can be constructed when the intention is for display. Many models with one side framed but unplanked beautifully expose the scale internals of both build and machinery

A very interesting project :-))....please keep us posted with your progress

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.