Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keil Kraft- Titan inquire  (Read 3901 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Keil Kraft- Titan inquire
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:18:32 am »

Hello

Does any one know of any model frame plans for the Keil Kraft Titan tug, or know of any one who has converted a set of plans to build this model out of an actual frame . Or any other plans that are simler to the appearance of this model   Thank you

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Keil Kraft- Titan inquire
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:36 am »

There is a facebook page called model boat plans. I think I may have seen one on there. The problem is they don't put up a photo of the boats, just the names and sometimes just a plan number. SO it means searching through the file section one by one which is very tedious, some of the plans are 3 or more pages long - a lot of the plans are for fast electrics like mtb's etc. Best I can offer is to download them in batches and go through them on your computer, discarding those you don't want to keep.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:27:16 am »

Is that the X plans list Brian?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:55 am »

Vic Smeeds plans for the Buster tug look similar to the Titan tug

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17039/bustler-mm363-tug-plan

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:42:54 am »

Bluebird just beat me to it!

The Titan tug was a kit and not published as a plan. The model was constructed from spindle moulded blocks of balsa so there are no frame drawings either to the best of my knowledge.

I built one as a youngster.

The nearest plan equivalent is probably Vic Smeed's Bustler design which I think was slightly smaller but which does make up into a very attractive model.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17039/bustler-mm363-tug-plan

The photos are by Peter King of his very nice model which appeared in the 2011 Model Boats Special Issue. I don't suppose he will mind me reproducing them here.

Colin

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 05:34:05 pm »

Hello

Thank you guys for the information and pictures very nice work by Peter,  I see this fashion of building rings stacked glued then sand to shape, bread and butter method of building looks like . Does any one know of any plans to build a frame from at around this size 18 to 20 or plans that would be reatively easy to scale down from and still preform well of its size not to run to low in the water for a small steam engine project .

Thank you

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:30:00 pm »

There is probably enough information on the Bustler plan to construct a set of frames which could then be enlarged to whatever size you want.

Colin

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:42:31 pm »

The forthcoming March edition of Model Boats magazine has a very similar tug which could suit your requirements - Rhondda. Ron Rees has designed this tug as a brushless powered expanded foam build, but it may have the frame information you require. Reading the proposed magazine item (from this months magazine) a plan is to be made available to buy.
It may be worth sending a message to Colin Bishop who could have further information.

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 02:37:56 am »

There is probably enough information on the Bustler plan to construct a set of frames which could then be enlarged to whatever size you want. 

Thanks of the information my question, if these plans were design for the bread and butter method, Titan and Bustler and  the plans only show the top deck and a side of the hull, how does one go about constructing a frame for a set of plans with such limited dimensions to work from ?

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:14 am »

The plan does have several hull sections shown and you can use the horizontal slices which are all lettered to build up as many more as you like. This will give you the external body plan from which you will need to deduct the thickness of your intended planking to get the frame sizes.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 09:44:34 am »

hi there

hows about the MSC Archer Tug - it was a free plan in Model Boats Magazine drawn by Jim Pottinger in 2008.   It has all the frame drawings you require and it can quite easily be constructed with the plank on frame method - it is about 23 inches long and if built right and watertight it is quite a sea worthy model.   I have built this model myself a while ago and this build was on this Forum - but it looks like its gone - so here are a couple of pictures of what she looks like and I will also find the link - I will put the link to the plan for the magazine -
Book and plan
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-BOATS-OCTOBER-2008-ARCHER-STEAM-TUG-PLAN-YORKSHIRE-BELLE-HMS-GANNET-/162093404501?hash=item25bd851155:g:m-IAAOSwOVpXU1ce
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 12:31:32 pm »

John,
Attached are some photographs I took of a double sized steam powered MSC Archer tug at an event back in 2010. A superb tug (both yours and the one I photographed).

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »

Hello even one responders to my post

I know have my paper engineer plans, printed out decided to go with an old set of plans for a popular mechanics mag 1950"s
You can build this spunky oscillating steam tug,  plans reworked to be more complete all intended for personal uses only on my [size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%]side of things . Anyway I need some advice on this build proper tools to do the job or in this case hobby machines . I have a small japans made hobby table saw good to go on that, but I need something to cut out the contours for the deck sides and bottom. I have experimented with a flat surface to clamp sanding jig I made to sand out sandwiched sheets for deck, but when I pulled then a part the to sides for the deck were not exactly the same. I though perhaps I could make up a wood templet then cut out the parts with a bearing guide bit via a bench top router setup . Then all would be the same I did some research and I like the [/size][size=78%][/size]Proxxon,[size=78%][/size][size=78%] micro shaper, router machine 400 but was told it was to small to do the job. Design intentions were for dollhouse making small intricate parts do not know if it would fit the 1/4 " shank for bit either, for mini flush timing bit which can be found on Tools to Day. I was disappointed to say the least on this one. I though what about a CNC machine but perhaps I would be going overboard a hole new world I do not know that much about and quite expansive to get into .  Anyway any help would be appreciated  David [/size][size=78%]

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »

Should say Proxxon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.