Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Bird Feeding!  (Read 18856 times)

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Furious Bird Feeders
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 11:09:28 pm »

W've now got a regular flock (about 30 of them) of Green Paraquetes (However you spell it) that descend on the trees at the bottom of our garden, they tear the tree buds to pieces and make a huge din, But they don't go anywhere near the feeders just below them.
Worst culprits for Mayhem here are the Starlings, like a hundred marauding bandits. Most birds, except the Robins like the peanuts, bird seed just rots in the feeder, Blue, Green and Coal "boobs" galore, two tiny Wrens when we're lucky, I put out live mealworms for the Robins and they watch from the fence posts and wait, so funny. Pidgeons, a Sparrowhawk and a kestrel.

Plus of course our resident Heron.....anybody got a gun? this thing has eaten nearly every pond fish in the road, my pond is to deep so I've still got fish so I'm lucky.

Whenever I reach for my camera, the whole lot have cleared off.....

Ron.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:33 pm »

You should set your camera up first - then put the food out. O0

Regards,

Ray.

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 07:54:12 am »

as we are all discussing the birds in the garden   is anyone doing the rspb  bird watch  survey next weekend?
  i have my pack  so doing my bit for the birds

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch?gclid=CMvR19me0NECFQ4TGwodfJEAQg

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Wild Bird Feeding!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 11:03:09 am »

I have that pack too.  :-)

...... Most birds, except the Robins like the peanuts, bird seed just rots in the feeder, Blue, Green and Coal "boobs" galore, two tiny Wrens when we're lucky, I put out live mealworms for the Robins and they watch from the fence posts and wait, so funny. Pigeons, a Sparrow hawk and a kestrel.

Whenever I reach for my camera, the whole lot have cleared off.....

Ron.

Live Mealwords? where do you buy those? I have the dried mealworms, haven't tried them yet, still trying to defeat the squirrels!

My local Bobin the robin is a clever little "xxxxx", he waits until I've got the camera all set up, focused and framed, then flies off!  <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 11:42:09 am »

Any pet shop that deals in reptiles..

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 12:06:08 pm »

I have that pack too.  :-)

Live Mealwords? where do you buy those? I have the dried mealworms, haven't tried them yet, still trying to defeat the squirrels!

My local Bobin the robin is a clever little "xxxxx", he waits until I've got the camera all set up, focused and framed, then flies off!  <*<

Have you baked the cookie's yet!  the bird cake is going down 'with the birds' a treat :-)) 

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 12:47:33 pm »

Living on the edge of a forest, we were plagued by squirrels scoffing from all our bird feeders, until we bought this one which cured the problem in a day and we haven't seen a squirrel in years!
https://www.reallywildbirdfood.co.uk/hanging-feeders/geohaus-nut-feeder/n-ghpll-0

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »

Hi Martin,

After a twenty year battle with dreaded Squirrels - my latest offendants a family of 4 - mum, dad and 2 babies from the neighbouring police station grounds, plus 2 more from the bottom of the garden - the attached type of squirrel proof feeders do work and stand the test of time.
Having said that our furry friends will unhook this type of feeder sending it crashing to the ground - nuts everywhere, therefore you need to fashion a pair of wire hooks to hold the lid on securely.

Squirrels are incredibly destructive, they will eventually gnaw through the plastic of your type of feeder and the thin gauge wire too !
something around an eighth of inch thick seems to hold them at bay, but great fun watching them at work.

Robins are wonderful - after they pass through the fighting stage, happening in my garden at the moment !
when paired up they signal to each other sticking out their red breast waving their head slowly from side to side -
as if trying to hipnotize their partner.

Winter 2016 I made a kitchen window sill feeder for Robins out of an old fridge shelf clamped to the plastic sill,
a pair quickly started to use it and would respond when called,
leaving the kitchen window slightly open, they eventually came in and would sit talking to you from the top of the kitchen cupboards, wonderful !

Now can anyone help me with a Squirrel proof window sill feeder? the little so and so jumps up onto the window sill and scoffs the Robins lunch !

Happy New Year to all,  regards Paul

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »

This video might give you some ideas... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-d3rZZ-_M

Colin

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 05:07:54 pm »

Very tempting Colin thank you  -  I happen to have 25 yards of shock cord minding its own buisness in the shed !

Problem is my wife thinks Squirrels are cute and fun to watch  -  talented Rat with a bushy tail for my four penneth.

regards Paul

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »

Are your squizzles grey or red? I hope the former as regards the bullet!
Pond weed is your enemy

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:33 pm »

They taste just like chicken!!!

Tugs are for pulling

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 10:40:58 am »

Hi Ballastanksian,

Reds - I wish !  unfortunately in down town grotty Leicester Greys rule,
now retired Red Squirrels are on my bucket list of must see's - Brownsea Island or the Ribble are penciled in for visits.

regards Paul

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 10:55:32 am »

Regards
Skimmer Fan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 05:48:36 pm »

I heard on Radio four some years back that a man had hunted so many greys in the North, that it allowed Red Squizzles to re populate an area. I think he got thousands of them over a five year period.

The Reds are adorable.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 09:35:26 pm »

Found this interesting...

Bread
All types of bread are acceptable to birds, but ideally it should only be just one component in a varied diet. Bread does not contain the necessary protein and fat birds need from their diet, and so it can act as an empty filler. Although bread isn't harmful to birds, try not to offer it in large quantities, since its nutritional value is relatively low. A bird that is on a diet of predominantly, or only bread, can suffer from serious vitamin deficiencies, or starve.

Only put out an amount of bread that birds will eat in a day. Food left on the ground overnight can attract rats. Soaked bread is more easily ingested than stale dry bread, and brown bread is better than white. Crumbled bread is suitable in small quantities, but moisten if it is very dry. During the breeding season, crumble the bread into tiny pieces so that it is only eaten by the adult birds. Dry chunks of bread will choke baby birds, and a chick on a diet of bread may not develop into a healthy fledgling.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/read-and-learn/helping-birds/feeding/whatfood/scraps.aspx
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 12:30:08 pm »

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 10:38:31 pm »

I have stopped putting bread out in my garden, it only ever attracts seagulls, which I hate with a vengeance. As a party trick I would do throw a whole crust of bread out back door and see how long it would take before it disappeared. Average less than 15 seconds. Yet prior to putting it out not a bird could be seen. Where do they hide and how do they communicate? I hate seagulls (not allowed to call them their common name on forum)
M

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 10:55:29 pm »

Do you mean 'Poo Buzzards' Martin??
Pond weed is your enemy

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 07:17:04 am »

More like s***hawks
Tugs are for pulling

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

Hi, Well when we moved in here bird feeders had been left behind so we are using them. Gardman found some replacement trays and their non germinating mixed seed feed seems popular with the visitors as well as me. Despite having a cat we now have a regular bunch visiting. The cat is too old and fat to bother with the birds. (A bit like me really  {-)). The biggest bully is one of the many blackbirds. Starlings also seem aggressive but when things calm down the Robin visits the fat balls. We also have a crowd of white doves that seem to clean up everything. All very entertaining.  Graham

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 06:52:35 pm »

The cat is too old and fat to bother with the birds. (A bit like me really  {-))
Graham

{-)   {-)  Know exactly how you feel Graham!   ok2

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 12:05:56 pm »

Our garden is mainly to attract birds, bees and butterflies (when it isn't under the snow). We have resident doves, starlings, red wing blackbirds and more. We also have this one, who helps to keep some of the other numbers down. This is the first time I have been able to get a decent pic of it as it was devouring something.

Tom

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:21 pm »

We had a Buzzard or Kestrel hopping about at work on Sunday. You got an great image there, and he/she is just acting natural and culling the weak and vulnerable birds.

Pond weed is your enemy

Deadbattery

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:56 pm »

I have to admit that the hawk upset us the first couple of times that we saw it, but it is nature and the hawk needs to eat, just like we do. It was here again this morning but I don't think it got anything. I was lucky that I had the 300mm lense on the other day and not the 50mm.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.