Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long is reasonable?  (Read 3631 times)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
How long is reasonable?
« on: January 16, 2017, 05:14:55 pm »

How long would you say is reasonable to wait for an order from a supplier without hearing anything after the initial receipt of your order?

I placed an order on 26th December, I know they probably wouldn't have gone back to work until the 3rd Jan, and they say the plans can take up to 7 days to get, so wasn't expecting it quickly, but as it's now the 16th I'm wondering if my order has been lost?

I placed another order with a different model shop at the same time, and that arrived on the 5th Jan.

I'd have expected it to have been delivered by now, or at least despatched or an email explaining there was a delay...

Would it be unreasonable to send an email asking how much longer it'll be?

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How long is reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »

My mate placed an order just before Christmas and only heard last week from them,
They did apologise apparently lots of emails over the Christmas period placing orders and they were working through them...... hope this helps a bit, you could call them

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:43:31 pm »

I would be contacting them 2 working days after placing the order if they had not acknowledged it ..

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:08 pm »

My mate placed an order just before Christmas and only heard last week from them,They did apologise apparently lots of emails over the Christmas period placing orders and they were working through them...... hope this helps a bit, you could call them

Thanks, I did think that maybe they had a bit of a backlog after being closed over Christmas, but thought they would've been caught up by now. I think I'll send an email just to enquire, as my son is getting impatient now. Don't really get a chance to phone during the day.

I would be contacting them 2 working days after placing the order if they had not acknowledged it ..

I got the automated responses confirming the order, and I do understand that a lot small businesses close for the week between Christmas and new year, so didn't expect a response overly quickly. But 2 weeks seems excessive to me.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:15 pm »

Did they say how long the order would take when you placed the order?
How did you pay?

M

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 07:01:08 pm »

I would be contacting them, however after placing an order with Hobbyking recently from their European warehouse. I was surprised that the confirmation email said "Please allow up to 45 days for delivery"  :o As it was it arrive in 20 days, but it always pays to read the small print.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:19:45 pm »

Did they say how long the order would take when you placed the order?
How did you pay?

M

No, on the page for the plans it says   "These plans are printed to order and take approximately 7 days for us to obtain.",   and the shipping was 1st class post. immediately had 2 emails when I placed the order, first 1 to thanks me for the order and provide me a reference number, and another confirming my email, phone number and shipping address, as well as a list of part ordered and prices etc. I'd assumed it'd be processed 3-4th Jan, at the latest they'd get the plans and despatch, 11th Jan and so be with me by now, and also thought they'd confirm despatch, so assume it's still not been sent yet. I paid with credit card, so can go down that route if need be, but will email them and hopefully will be something simple and will soon be with me.

I would be contacting them, however after placing an order with Hobbyking recently from their European warehouse. I was surprised that the confirmation email said "Please allow up to 45 days for delivery"  :o  As it was it arrive in 20 days, but it always pays to read the small print.

I've always been pleasantly surprised by delivery times from HK, even when ordering from their global warehouse. This is an english company, and 1 that I've always received good service from before.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »

Hello bikerdude,

Ah yes, now I know which company you are referring to.

I placed an order with them 24 Nov 15, the order arrived 30 Nov but some items missing. Phoned and asked for explanation, "I'll get back to you" (no call received) - next day, phoned again - auto answer. >>:-(

Sent an e-mail asking "I'll get back to you" to get back to me. Nothing.

Sent a further e-mail - this time I got a response, "good job you e-mailed again because I lost the other one" <*<

By now it's 03 Feb 16 - email "sorry for the delay, we're waiting for those coming in" %%

Finally got the remainder of my order 25 Feb 16.

This was a shame really, I've been ordering bits from this company for over 5 years and that has been the one and only hiccup.

Strange that it should occur in the "festive" season (hic, hic), same as yours. %)

Regards,

Ray.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:35 pm »

Hello bikerdude,

Ah yes, now I know which company you are referring to.

I placed an order with them 24 Nov 15, the order arrived 30 Nov but some items missing. Phoned and asked for explanation, "I'll get back to you" (no call received) - next day, phoned again - auto answer. >>:-(

Sent an e-mail asking "I'll get back to you" to get back to me. Nothing.

Sent a further e-mail - this time I got a response, "good job you e-mailed again because I lost the other one" <*<

By now it's 03 Feb 16 - email "sorry for the delay, we're waiting for those coming in" %%

Finally got the remainder of my order 25 Feb 16.

This was a shame really, I've been ordering bits from this company for over 5 years and that has been the one and only hiccup.

Strange that it should occur in the "festive" season (hic, hic), same as yours. %)

Regards,

Ray.

It's not the usual shop that gets complained about on the south coast... I might name them, I'll see how long they take/if they fulfil the order. Sent an email last night, with no reply today. Got the day off tomorrow, so will try and phone them at some point and see what they say.

I did get excited earlier, had a slip through the door from UPS saying there was a parcel for me to collect from the local shop. Went and got it and it turned out to be something I ordered on Sunday. Free post and here within 48 hours, now thats good service!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:02:07 pm »

It's not the usual shop that gets complained about on the south coast...

Nope, not that one. Tell you what - to save cluttering your thread, I'll send you a PM.

Regards,

Ray.

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36:07 pm »

Well it finally arrived today. I sent an email on Monday, they replied on Wednesday to say the order had just been sent out, it had been delayed due to waiting for stock of the wood to arrive... If their site hadn't said it was in stock, I would've ordered it from elsewhere!

To be fair though they did send it on a guaranteed 24hr service to make sure it got here today. So initially slow service and lack of communication from Cornwall Model Boats, but sorted and they did go to the effort of making sure it got here asap once it was despatched.

Now to have a bash at my 1st scratchbuild, from plans that include only the lines, no construction details...

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »

Glad you got it sorted Dude, hope all goes well with the build. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

John Stedman

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:12:07 pm »

If you order something from a supplier in the UK to be delivered in the UK, then you are entitled to receive the goods within a 'reasonable' time. Legally, the word 'reasonable' simply means that 'this is what would usually be considered acceptable by a typical person in the circumstances'. No respectable vendor would object to a phone call or email chasing delivery from a customer, as long as this is done in a polite manner. It is always better to discuss this on the phone that wait for an email response. If the order is 'time critical' and you really must have it by a certain date, then it is essential that you agree that timescale with the vendor when placing the order. You then need to use the phrase 'time is of the essence' in your written confirmation. If the goods do not arrive on time then the purchase contract is void. If the goods then arrive later and are of no use to you, they do not become your property immediately and the seller may ask to arrange to collect them, or ask you to send them back at their cost. Your local Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Office can advise what to do if the goods are still on your hands after a month. Frankly though, you normally just have to just accept delays as a fact of life, because they are often beyond the seller's control. If you are confident that the vendor has been deficient it is best to simply take your business elsewhere and write it off to experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.