Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a building cradle/keel clamp useful?  (Read 3494 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Is a building cradle/keel clamp useful?
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:27:13 am »

Just looking at getting some other tools etc. together in readiness for starting the build of a Fairey Swordsman at 33" long.

Wondering if it's worthwhile getting a building cradle/keel clamp to make things easier to build and aligned correctly?

Or is it easy enough just to fix some uprights to a base board and clamp the keel to that?

Chris 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Is a building cradle/keel clamp useful?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:52 am »

Hi Chris,

Having built a Swordsman or three the best tip I can give you is -
when you cut out the keel, extend it to include a half inch strip at deck level and down the transom.

Bulkheads are notched at their tops/centres to accept the half inch strip - you now have a self jigging structure locking your bulkheads vertically and the transom at the correct angle, the strip along with the tops of some bulkheads is removed after skinning.

This assembly requires mounting on a flat surface building board, hull upside down for ease of fitting chines / skins,
I use small 90 degree timber triangles, screwed, double sided taped or hot glue gunned to hold the structure in place.

Also highly recommend a Permagrit Ali framed sanding block - for sanding the keel and chines before skinning,
ie. the block sits on the keel and is wide enough to span across to the chine and sand both surfaces true.

Permagrit are very sharp and require little pressure when sanding - important as too much pressure sanding the chines
could pop glue joints, resulting in chines springing loose and poking you in the eye - speaks voice of experience re that issue !

regards Paul

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:54 pm »

One picture is worth a thousand words -

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »

Hi ya Chris

As mrzippy has said in his posting; it would be beneficial to use a building board and extend the frames - the only thing is - the sanding blocks he refers to can be a bit expensive; what I myself do; and always use; is a bit of timber 3 inch x 1 inch thick - about 12 inches long; and I stick various grades of sand paper / emery paper to this piece of wood using double sided tape.    I have various pieces of timber to help me sand various shapes. 

I have searched for hours for a build on this Forum which personally I think is one of the best - I was searching under heading Fairy Swordsman - when its actually the Fairy Huntsman build - and its built from Vic Smead plans and it is a joy to look at this build - here is the link - I think it may inspire you:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14357.0.html

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:22:08 pm »

Forgot to mention the extended keel strip can be seen in the photo running down the centre line at deck level,
following down the transom,  chines also best laminated from 2 strips of 1/8" x 1/4" instead of trying to bend a single 1/4" square.

Model in the photos is not a Swordsman.  Paul

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »

Paul - thanks for that, extending the keel is a great idea and I will certainly do that.

I did pick up a Perma--Grit from the International Show when I started to get some tools and materials together but I will have to check whether the one I bought is big enough!

John - thanks for the link I shall have a good read of that. I've read your Swordsman (oops nearly said Swordfish, I'll have DM  after me again!) build three times already and will do again.

Chris 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 03:14:03 pm »

John - just looked at the link and I've read that a couple of times, the last being a few days ago.

I think I've just about read all the threads on Fairey boats on the forum now and my brain has gone into overload!  :-)

Yes, it did inspire me, along with other posts and your build thread. Can't wait to get started now!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:10 pm »

Following the excellent advice I've now modified the drawing for the keel to incorporate the temporary spine - see attached.

I've also modified the bulkheads/cross-members for the spine and to extend the cockpit floor all the way to the transom.

The Aerokits drawing that I've used as a basis shows a partial rear cabin that I don't want.

Cheers, Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.