Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Darn muntjac  (Read 2714 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Darn muntjac
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »

Hi all my missus was going to our daughters today when a muntjac jumped out, no one hurt (muntjac excluded) which was my only concern anyway on assessing the damage (we have a 350 pound excess) the parts come to about 270 and I think I could install them  (basically  a new whole front end, plastic wise) should I try and fix it or go through insurance.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Darn muntjac
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:07:56 pm »

Hi all my missus was going to our daughters today when a muntjac jumped out, no one hurt (muntjac excluded) which was my only concern anyway on assessing the damage (we have a 350 pound excess) the parts come to about 270 and I think I could install them  (basically  a new whole front end, plastic wise) should I try and fix it or go through insurance.

what is a muntjac please.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:24:15 pm »

A little deer from Asia introduced by the Victorians
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:24:42 pm »

It's a small deer it was introduced to England a ears ago and is overtaking the local deer, fully grown it about the size of a medium sized dog

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:36:17 pm »

If you go through insurance, even if you have a protected no claims bonus, they are likely to put up your future premiums because they regard you as being accident prone.

It counts as an 'event' the cost of which cannot be recovered from the other party - not fair but they have to get the money out of you somehow. Technically you should also report it even if you have the repairs done yourself so they can put up your premiums because it might happen again, a whole herd of them maybe?

I would get it done yourself even if you have to pay somebody locally to help. Cheaper in the long run.

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:00:34 pm »

thanks guys. I've never heard of one before.

you learn something new on mayhem every day.

Jim.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 01:44:39 am »

A lot of people don't know that the muntjac deer is a major pest species. They breed all year round and do a lot of damage to woodland habitats by eating the plants that other animals need for breeding and shelter. They have also entered many urban areas, and have decimated gardens. They have found footprints and areas where they have never even been seen. Because they are small they are very good at hiding.
They are spreading north through England an Wales could easily reach up into Scotland.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:16:35 am »

I once had a less than 5mph collision - damage a broken numberplate, broken grill and a tiny dent in the bonnet - they said car beyond economic repair, I got a second hand bonnet which included the grill for £40 5 miles from home - in the right colour, that and a new numberplate and the car was fixed, then had to get the repairs inspected at a local dvla centre to get it back on the road as they had (wrongly) classed it as catagory B write off not category C. I only put it through the insurance as the car I hit was a post office van that pulled across a junction from behind the bus I was passing in the other direction.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:44:40 am »

I work as a gardener at a big hall and muntjac cause loads of damage, as has been said they are a real pest, there are so many of them now they seem to have no fear, they will wander through the garden 10 feet away from you, and even if you shout or wave your arms about they take no notice.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16:18 am »

We get lots - very bold - they come right up to the house to eat the best plants.

Had a friend who had a Wallaby jump out in front of him just near Whipsnade Zoo. It smashed the front his car to bits - The zoo said none have ever escaped so it came off his insurance.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:09 am »

I was going to ask what one looked like when I got up this morning. and there one is.

Wonder what they taste like.mmmm.

Thanks, Jim.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 10:05:48 am »

Not like chicken, very nice ,the liver is very good ,all venison is really tasty.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 10:37:57 am »

Bottom line - don't do what you're supposed to - ie. report it to your insurers. At least, not at first.

First thing to do is consider what your insurer's 'approved' (ie very expensive) repairers would do. My car received a ding in the supermarket car park while I was inside doing the shopping. I thought it was another vehicle, but a later check revealed the damage to match the height of a trolley. So, I initially reported it and discussed it with the very helpful lady on the phone and my neighbour, whose garage does my servicing. Wing was dented and bumper scratched. They would: remove wheels (and maybe suspension for 'better access'), remove bumper, remove light assembly and wiring, remove wing. Supply new wing and bumper and spray to match, then reassemble everything. Garage estimate - many hundreds of pounds = write off car.

Checked on ebay. Matching wing available less than 20 miles away, £32. Even better, matching wing, plus two doors, £50. (Plan was to buy these, sell the doors later at £50 each). Tools required - socket set and a couple of screwdrivers. Time to swap - around an hour. In the end, as the scratch on the wing hadn't exposed any bare metal, I decided to just leave it and wear the battle scar.

So I spoke to the same helpful lady at the insurers and got them to cancel the whole thing, and send me a written confirmation that it would not affect my NCD or future premiums. They did. When renewing insurance the next year I changed company and duly informed them of the incident, as you're supposed to (and it was indeed logged as a no-fault incident with no claim made) and they said it would not affect the premium - it didn't.

My son and I share an MX5. Our standing joke is that it's used for target practice, as it's been bumped into six times while parked (twice by a rather embarrassed neighbour!). We kept quiet!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:16:06 pm »

Some people are lethal in cars even at slow speeds. I watched an elderly person in the process of manouvering out of a space the other day in South Petherton (Somerset) who managed to bonk both the vehicle in front and the one behind, all the while ignoring the increasingly preturbed owner of said latter vehicle stood to the side. I am not sure if the driver even noticed the preturbed driver as he/she drove past me but seconds later. I assume they did more noices than damage and the owner just let it pass.

I'm pleased that your wife is back on the road after her injury ken  :-)) It is amazing how such injuries are treated these days.

As far as Muntjac, does your employer cull them?
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.