Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F1  (Read 4306 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
F1
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:41 am »

I thought Bernie Eccleston owned F1, or at least was a majority Shareholder, so how was he basically ousted ?

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: F1
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:38 am »

Longbuild
You may be better asking this question on an F1 forum or web site. O0 :-))
Regards
Skimmer Fan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:21:04 am »

As the previous said, this is not related to model boats.
However it is explained all over the new channels.  eg:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38721123
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:21 am »

.... but I like Formula 1....  <:(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »

However it is explained all over the new channels.  eg:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38721123

Hi
As this is the chit chat section,  it does not have to be about model boats , hence the term Chit Chat !!, when F1  starts it is always brought up on the forum, I do not wish to join an F1 forum but thought I would ask here as there is always an opinion here  :police:  and I have not found a definite answer.

And as the Site Owner says " He likes F1 ", Thanks Martin..

So My question stands, how has he lost control ?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »

Bernie was actually a minority partner in F1, the majority partner being CVC Capital. He sold much of it off back in the late 90's early 2000's

Liberty Media who have bought the majority holding from cvc have basically pensioned off Bernie, making him chairman emeritus. He can still attend as a figurehead but has no day to day input on running stuff.

On a brighter note Ross Brawn has been brought back by them as managing director - to push F1 into new markets. They see a great opportunity through online media that the old crew failed to exploit. Also expect to see monumental changes in the whole operation this coming season. They want to make all the remaining teams shareholders in the operation.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »

Thanks for that, I had looked but I still thought he was the major Shareholder.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:20:21 pm »

Oh forgot to mention, Bernie's share of the sell out is close to half a BILLION dollars :o :o so he won't be crying into his porridge. This does not take into account his personal shareholding that he still controls which is worth as much again.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:15:03 pm »

and I thought that chit chat was all about anything.....anything means anything, not just model boats, and lets face it, an F1 car does have a wooden plank under it's tub. {-) {-) {-) and basically mothballing the poison dwarf gets a big thumbs up from me. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 04:18:50 pm »

Oh forgot to mention, Bernie's share of the sell out is close to half a BILLION dollars :o :o so he won't be crying into his porridge. This does not take into account his personal shareholding that he still controls which is worth as much again.

Only half a Billion, He will be signing on soon !!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 04:35:56 pm »

Not much scope for spending it if you are 86....

jimmy2310

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:31 pm »

It's a problem I wouldn't mind having.
also I agree anything should be allowed to be discussed in the chit-chat section so long as it is not defamatory or ridiculing other members.

Jimmy
“Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!”

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 05:57:31 pm »

Chit Chat

Almost anything you like in here  :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:12 pm »

Apart from sizes >>:-( >>:-( :D
Ned

Print sizes and instructions removed occasionally, when I have the time.     {-)

ken

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 11:00:51 pm »

Not much scope for spending it if you are 86....

I believe his wife(?) might be a bit more capable! :)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 02:44:26 am »

I wonder what % in the actual cost  <*< of a Honda domestic motor vehicle is attributed to the spending by the Honda Corporation allocated budget in funding for their F1 motor sport involvement?

Now I have only used Honda here as the Marque also covers the typical domestic motor vehicles that the general public drive....so keeping this posting in a nautical flavour...... we must remember Honda also produce motor vessel outboard motors  {-)

If we go further into Motor Sport in general......this then brings in a multitude of manufacturers ....so a similar question could be asked of the purchase price of an Audi, Mercedes, Porsche, Renault, Citroën, Subaru, VW, Toyota, Ford. Mitsubishi & GM........the list is endless

So if I were contemplating the purchase of a new motor vehicle.....would I be within my moral/morale :P rites to suggest to the Sales Executive that I am not a fan of F1 and would like a $xxx discount on my purchase 

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 05:46:54 am »

Ah! but there are counter arguments.
The R&D benefits for new technology tested in extreme conditions means that automotive technology has improved faster than it might have done if it was left up to the drive to meet statutory regulation only. Racing has probably done more to increase fuel economy than the oil lobby was ever able to block. As such our fuel bills are lower (save money).
There is also tyre technology. Tyres with more grip but that also give higher mileages (save money).

Another benefit is that if the manufacturers public profile is increased and marketed, leading to increased sales, then the economies of the increased scale also come into play. This is hard to measure.

An intangible benefit comes from the fact that for most people buying a car is a lifestyle choice. In its extreme, why else would you buy car like La Ferrari with performance beyond the legal and practical limits of modern roads, and unable to deal well with speed bumps and potholes? Or why is the Chelsea Tractor so popular? Winning big titles, or even just participating in sporting events feeds the dream that feeds the lifestyle choices for many. On the flip side, how often have you heard people say, "I wouldn't be seen dead driving one of those."? People still say things like that about Skoda, which is now a very good make of car.

Just my 2c.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:23 am »

Did you know that Bernie lives in Brazil and owns a huge coffee plantation? This is run day to day by his wife.

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 07:52:04 pm »

Other subjects on the Chit Chat list include Muntjacs, Car fires and Iron Cross Medals so why not F1 ?

I'm sure there are quite a few modellers out there who are not restricted to one mode of transport.

If a train modeller and a boat  modeller both decide to build a model of the boat train from The Heroes of Telemark are they only allowed to build the part that they are interested or is a cross over allowed?

The same could be said for a sea plane. Does he boat modeller build the floats and then give them to the plane modeller who then fits them to a plane?

Then do they have to go to different forums to talk about them and show their photos?

I'm joking of course but, there are cross over areas in all interests. Even the reasons that people got into their hobby in the first place will be different for everybody, be it an interest in history, military, nostalgia or just wanting to learn new skills.

Ian.     

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »

Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull
All have marine connections.

Ned

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 02:56:26 am »

As well as bikes, Kawasaki produce (among other things), ships, airplanes, and trains.
There will always be crossover.

As long as things are on their proper boards, we avoid certain topics (religion, politics, smut), and the chat remains friendly, no problem.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 06:06:44 pm »

Yamaha produce car engines and motorbikes, but are mostly known for musical instruments, producing a very fine line of piano's since the 1800's - hence the 3 crossed tuning forks in their logo.

But I digress, getting back to formula 1. Who remember Martin Whitmarsh? Used to run McLaren until ousted by Ron Dennis(who has been himself deposed over the winter) Anyway Whitmarsh seemed to disappear over the last 3 years keeping a very low profile.

Well he popped back up today in charge of the UK's America's Cup team!!! Who says F1 has nothing to do with boats :}

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 10:10:34 am »

I think it will be a good thing for F1 but time will tell, they are saying the British GP is safe, but whether it will stay at Silverstone or not they haven't said.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 01:57:12 am »

Love him or hate him, Bernie Ecclestone did a lot to advance F1 and elevate it as a sport. I am not sure how much higher it can go or whether it has peaked. One more thing to consider is that now Bernie has gone, it is owned by a faceless corporation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.