Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you remember when........  (Read 5279 times)

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Do you remember when........
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:36:11 pm »

Sorry people but Do you remember when..... Mayhem was a friendly place to come and talk model boats and even other
general chit chat with a friendly atmosphere???

Recently there has been a rush of people shooting people down or complaining about posts, a few examples:
today we had the F1 Thread, someone asked a question and got shot down that this is a model boat forum an he should go elsewhere... why it was the chit chat section, we have had lots of F1 posts
OR 
the RIP 2017 thread, yeah RIP 2016 was depressing and we didn't really need another for 2017 but you know we are all adults we can open the thread and read it or we can just ignore the thread and move on, we didn't need numerous people decrying the person for starting it
OR
the Sales threads where if someone makes a mistake such as posting both here and on Facebook people are extremely quick to shout them down or complain of double standards as a moderator hasn't said anything   

Mayhem, for some can be a life line to the outside world. Some remember DickyD, many posted recently on the anniversary of his tragic death. He still has the second highest post count on the forum over a year after his death. Dicky was very ill and for him Mayhem was his way to interact with the outside, yes when he was fit he went to his boat club but mayhem was how he met up with some of his friends how many other people are in the same situation? Also look at some of the long time members who have not posted or rarely post now and wonder why is that they are still around on other forums and post there but not here.

Someone referred Mayhem to me recently as a forum that is full of good meaning people with some obsessed people ruining it trying to be top dog, which is not how I remember mayhem being when I started posting over 10 years ago.

So perhaps for the rest of the year, we can try  if we don't like something either ignore it or if its really that bad report it to a moderator.....but most of all get the friendliness back in mayhem!

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Do you remember when........
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »

Concur.

LB

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »

BO'''''''''DY GOOD ANSWER. . i got shot down because i called guy gibsons  dog n@@@@@ which is the docs name talk about a riot got banned for a time  %% %% %% %% %%

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:10:07 pm »

That is why I took time off from here and the local club, it seemed people were just out do get one better over you, there is more to life......

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:07 pm »

I Posted the F1 Thread, really it did not bother me about the 2nd reply post but thought I would remind them it was the chit chat thread, I will be dealing with the person with the 1st reply later  :}

I once posted on here that I had acquired the Graupner Whaling ship, some one posted that if they saw it they would come over and smash it up !! so you can never please anyone.. <:(

I don't much like War, so anyone with a Warship had better watch out.... %) :-)) :-)) 8) 8)
Especially them ones way up North, far to nice and big so need to go....

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:36:46 pm »

I don't much like War, so anyone with a Warship had better watch out.... %) :-)) :-)) 8) 8)

{-) {-) {-) {-)  Luckily we know each other too well.....  I knew you wouldn't be too bothered but what signal does it send to new members or look like when we do seem to have lost our friendliness..... :-)) :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:02:05 pm »

In the last couple of days the knives were out over a certain thread relating to a 12' warship. looking at the facts posted and the extra details provided by the 'Jim Rockfords' on here, it looked entirely feasible. Despite that, the poster and his ideas were dismissed as fantasy, resulting in him leaving the forum as quickly as he came in. In eighteen months some members on here may be looking very stupid..I am counting the hours :P
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:17 pm »

HI you may want to look at this
unbuiltnautilus

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=124233

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 06:18:18 pm »

An old Tom Courtenay film springs to mind %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »

I have asked him to establish his bona fides. He has given no details of himself in registering with the MB Forum and despite a lot of looking I cannot find any evidence of him online.

He has an opportunity to respond if he wishes.

Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »

Hi there

~After long thoughts I personally think this could be a 'money' scam - I wonder if there are more than one behind John Stedman - if we had allowed him to finish his threads I believe after a couple of days they would have come back and said they were starting another company along similar lines of films ect.  I think they would be looking for sponsorship and would members like to sponsor - this is my theory anyway :-) .   I may be a mile off the mark.  But, who knows.

What does Mayhem think?

It may be like my wife thinks - he is a lonely begger like me - no friends apart from Mayhem  %% %% %%

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:23 pm »

HI you may want to look at this
unbuiltnautilus

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=124233

john

Ahh, bless his cotton socks, at least he's a trier, and others never cease to amaze me by their continuing gullibility.

They'll be telling me next they believe he's going to make a superfast rocket SHIP to go harvest blue cheese from the moon. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Jim.

ps..........nice avatar, bluebird.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:27 pm »

and despite a lot of looking I cannot find any evidence of him online.
Colin

it would seem that this man might fit the bill......high up in Portsmouth museum, with plenty of access to historical info, plenty of time to concoct  story and well educated.

PORTSMOUTH CITY MUSEUM AND RECORDS OFFICE

Main Contact:Name: Dr. John Stedman
Job title: Local History Officer
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 07:02:11 pm »

Well, only time will tell. As for rocket powered boats..talking out his ar@@. But if members look at some of the final posts by mayhemmers on that subject, they do not relate to information put forward by him in early posts. We seemed to be grabbing at information that either wasn't there or was mis-interpreted by us or poorly presented by him. Regardless if he was a Walter Mitty type or otherwise, I think the members could have handled themselves with a bit more decorum.

As for Portsmouth City Museums John Stedman, he probably knows an awful lot about Portsmouth, but little about Naval matters, that is handled by the National Museum of The Royal Navy, half a mile down the road. Not Portsmouth City Museum, which could talk Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Isambard Kingdom Brunel till the cows come home.

We have encountered con merchants before, remember the HMS Astute model from a few years ago..I met him on a number of occasions, without a doubt delusional. However, in this case, much made sense, until the jet boat! Maybe he had received some sort of commercial interest in the Hood/Bismark story, and was running before he could walk with other projects that were coming to mind, as I say time will tell.

As far as being a friendly place, Mayhem is still much quieter than when I first joined. I don't know when the last time someone was banned for thirty days, or booted off permanently ( Mr Caswell :} )..

Personally, I like to help out where I can with enquiries, however, like another fellow (ex) trader on here, the constant questions on the same subject regarding, radio controls, paint, filler and speed control set ups can tax the patience of a saint!

Still, keep smiling, it's only a hobby, if it wasn't, I would have been out by now for good behaviour! wishing peace and love to ALL our fellow mayhemers, I need burgers, good night :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 07:07:19 pm »

there's also a certain moderator on here with one eye permanently on his screen his finger on the button at the slightest forgetfulness to post a picture up or responds instantly to something he doesn't like I'll probably get this post removed or objected to thinking about it!  %)   

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:53 pm »

Hi,

[size=78%]I love my boats, my hard work they de stress me and I enjoy every minute at the lake side, funny but 35 years ago someone said my models were inaccurate, hence I've never joined a club in the 35 years since.[/size]

I've learnt a lot on this forum and admire those who take time out to answer forum questions with respect to those wishing to learn, probably going off topic but cheers guys and gals.

Rich
Regards,

Rich

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 07:50:30 pm »

I think John is right as in his first post on the Model boats site he states and i quote
If funding is available and in place...we shall watch in glee

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »

I did find it odd that a professional modelmaker would ask such questions especially as any research on the subject would/should have been factored into the job price. A professional modelmaker has to be at least competant in most areas of modelmaking and could find most of the construction information they require from a few good books or from the Internet. Indeed, just reading this forum would have provided loads of the info.

For me this forum has become the only one I devote my time to as it does include a breadth of modelling subjects and in many ways the skills are cross transferable. Weathering is the same wether you are rusting up a Tug or ageing the exhausts on a Tiger tank, heck, the medium used may well be the same!

What I say on new members introductions is said from the heart. Mayhem is an inspiring forum. No one and nothing is perfect, but we seem to rub along together very well  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »

Sorry people but Do you remember when..... Mayhem was a friendly place to come and talk model boats and even other

Hi gingyer,

This is a little spooky as I was thinking along very similar lines the last couple of days. I was on here originally around 2008/9 under the name of "gibson" and was building a Caldercraft Milford Star (my first boat build) I had tremendous help back then from many on here and in particular from Richard (DickyD)... I even managed yesterday to find my old build log!!After a break of some years I now have the bug  back and am building again, so naturally looked up this forum. For some reason (probably me) I was unable to resign in as gibson and so am now under Daleb and have only been back a couple of weeks. I have to say that generally things appeared to be as they were back then but I too have noticed a different attitude in some posts. Hey ho maybe it's just the way things are these days. All said I'm enjoying being back and on the whole it's still a great forum with a wealth of knowledge. I was very sad to hear about Richard though.Sorry for rambling on.
Cheers for now, Dale.

Text fixed - Martin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 10:14:59 pm »

My modelling skills are not what you call perfect - managed to pull off a few crazy ideas, proud of the LCM, reasonably happy with the sovereign, and dream of completing repairs of the others and victory, oh and all the other plastic fantastic I have to build yet, all languishing in the loft.

That said, I am always checking Mayhem out, noticed some 'opinionated' people (usually rivet counters - I wonder if that includes me  %)) and others who just like to help, I wouldn't feel complete without mayhem. all groups have spells of discord - maybe its one of those cycles, what we need is a feel good project, the 12' model subject peaked a lot of intresting debate and suggestions - in its self a good thing, may have been a walter mitty event but it captivated a lot, I gave up on it after half way down the second page as reading it made me spend to much time not checking other things out.

So I agree, make a comment if its missing something or it's not on topic as such, F1 in chit chat is fine - but get a life if you thing you need to comment as it not being boat related or better still ask for it to be moved into other hobbies.

Another point, above it mentions that repeating the same question over and over again seems quite valid - its something I struggle with - now whether its my pc not using the search function correctly (or me) but trawling through several pages looking for the right info buried in a long ago thread is tedious, only adding a couple of folders in each topic folder covering a compendium of the most relevant info would be time consuming (but a task for a rivet counter  :embarrassed:) like a folder for just humbrol paints or acylic or epoxies or colours of a particular ship like the corvettes etc - oops gobbeledygook again :}
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:37 pm »

Hi all we are a motley crew and the better for it, all my queries have had good sensible answers and it is always nice to help someone else if you have the 'knowledge'.
I have tried a model railway forum (another startup for me) but it is not the same somehow.

I have always felt there was 'honesty' in model boat building,talk to the guy there is his boat etc.
As a club Secretary I am always trying to get people interested in the hobby and Mayhem is a shining light.
regards Roy

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 01:03:49 am »

Thanks for sorting that Martin  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 01:11:25 am »

Someone referred Mayhem to me recently as a forum that is full of good meaning people with some obsessed people ruining it trying to be top dog, which is not how I remember mayhem being when I started posting over 10 years ago.

So perhaps for the rest of the year, we can try  if we don't like something either ignore it or if its really that bad report it to a moderator.....but most of all get the friendliness back in mayhem!

Great post and message Gingyer, bang on message!

I know it's post Christmas blues season and all that but lets hope that's the end, for this year's,  over zealous posts, the 'calling you outs' posts, the 'my opinion is  the correct opinion', storms in teacups,  and the well established, "freedom of speech" cliche.

Anyone remember  /   know Mayhem's ethos?!

Sigh....... Happy model boating everyone!    :-)

Martin - Admin

PS: Gingyer promoted to to Mayhem's Chief Moral officer.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 02:48:05 am »

Gingyer

Yes,

O0  O0  O0 :-))   :-))  :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:57 am »

Didn't know he had any morals.... {-)

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.