Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Cymran runs aground  (Read 2941 times)

Stavros

Smit Cymran runs aground
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:43 pm »

Today's Liverpool Daily Post check this out,what a Navigational boo boo

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/dailypost/news/wales/tm_headline=boat-runs-aground-off-anglesey%26method=full%26objectid=19664876%26siteid=50142-name_page.html

Also check brill video !!!!
http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/dailypost/ then click on video link by photo of vessel,what an excellent video !!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Smit Cymran runs aground
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:32:46 am »

Stavros,

I would suggest someone is going to get a nice kick in the backside over that little mess.......... ::) ::)

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:22:25 am »

This was certainly interesting to see. Thanks Stavros for posting it

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 07:53:22 pm »

nice one stavvie, that lifeboat was not doing bad pulling the striken smittie, looked like it was giving it all it had to give as well!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 08:30:31 pm »

according to local paper she is now in Holyhead been removed from water and investigators from Southhampton are loking into it !!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:48:32 pm »

and I bet the life boat is having her engines serviced after having had the guts revved out of them towing the boat!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

ddraigmor

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:13:55 pm »

I worked for this outfit (Deep sea tugs) and on the previous marine support unit boats when they were the ex RAF pinnace types.

Someone mentined bottoms being kicked? For sure - apparently the boat was abandoned when the incident happened.....what ever happened to damage control / staying with the ship / saving her? I really do believe standards have slipped since I was at sea!

Now civilian manned, they have been questioned by MAIB and as I know one of the lads who was on her at the time, I'll get a heads up when (as he says) the 'storm dies down'.

The lifeboat will not need her engines overhauled! They are built to tow and the 'Smit Cymyran' would be an easy pull - she was also assisted by the 45' Nelson Pilot cutter who did the pushing into the shallows - another vessel withengines that wouldn't miss a beat (usually Volvo TMD Turbos).

Last reports have the 'Smit Cymyran' drying out on the hard in Holyhead Inner Harbour.

She would have had pumps aboard and apparently only one compartment was breached.....oh there will be many, many questions asked about why they did not appear to try to save her or at least make the effort.....!

BTW, the photo of the 'Smit Cymyran' was taken  by a friend and used by the BBC. he is now chasing royalties!

Jonty

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 10:22:11 pm »

Advert seen today in local rag Master needed for a 150t vessel that is leased to the MOD ring any bells,me thinks Smitt has sacked the old Master for slightly scratching their pride and joy.

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.