Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: mistakes we have made  (Read 16243 times)

kurt cave sikk 27

mistakes we have made
« on: August 19, 2007, 05:23:08 pm »

hi all,this is just for a bit of a laugh,i would like to know what mistakes you have done or made when building your boat or what went wrong on your first test run,you know the stuff,the things you know you should of done or checked but just did not do,lets see whos man or woman enough to admit to it,if you know of something somebody else has done lets have it,it should make for some funny reading............................

AC RAZOR 45

Re: mistakes we have made
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:01:49 pm »

Well kurt before you can get you 2 pence worth in i will own up to going to the lake today with my stunning new build razor 45 only to find i had put the internals of the collet in the wrong way round and cut the flex shaft to short...there that wasnt to bad,,,,al

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 06:05:47 pm »

The members of this Forum do not make mistakes. We have frequent intense learning experiences.... :embarrassed:

madrob

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:12:47 pm »

oh ho i must be on the wrong forum then ;D

i dont make mistakes, i just have errors to redo later ::)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 06:14:25 pm »

always a silly one to make, put boat in car drive to lake then go to find transmitter, only to realise that its still sat at home on charge!!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

pete_486

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 06:19:28 pm »

i agree colin but i call it a steep learning curve but i think Kurt would call it a gormless error.
i turned up today with my newly built makara and id put the brackets for my stinger strut upside down = stuffing tube too high up and very little adjustment = blip the throttle and it jumps out of the water  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: ha ha ha........Pete

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 06:35:09 pm »

i must admit to starting my boat up putting it in the water ,grab the transmitter only to realise i did not turn the radio on in the boat,took me 1/2 hour to get the bloody thing back from up the river.thank god for muddy river banks,oh .and i have started a nitro boat up backwards only to have the thing try and take my legs out when i throtled it of and it came towards me in the water,,,,,,,,,kurt

pete_486

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

ha ha ha Kurt thats funny ;D ive known of someone wiring and electric motor in a plane the wrong way round he sent it off and throttled up it came back and smacked him in the forehead, he was lucky it was made out of foam...........Pete

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:05:32 pm »

1. Start motor, throw in boat and watch it sail away, receiver power off ::) Likewise a half hour or so to row across the lake. Fortunately it was a jet drive so even stuck into the bank it had cooling.
2. Transmitter safely in hand, battery pack safe at home ???
3. Engine running badly on the water, squirt of throttle to clear it out and watched the spark plug detach, perform a beautiful arc and smack a hole in the new paint. Moral: tighten spark plug  O0

pete_486

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 07:20:24 pm »

i had another and im still not sure what happened with my arrow shark it was running fine the it wouldnt turn then i couldnt cut it and took 3" off the nose in a concrete bank thats why the nose is silver in the pic it hit the bank doing about 25mph..........Pete

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:28:22 pm »

my all time best one was when i had a 5 foot boat with 2 zenoahs in it side by side,me and my best mate(now no longer with us,r.i.p)was down our river when the boat started to miss fire,i got it back,started it up and asked my mate to hold on to it at the end of a wooden jetty while i gave it a few small burst to see what was going on with the engines,well,you can image what happened.first blip nothing,second blip abit more throtle and there was this big splash with my poor mate trying to hang onto the back of the boat as it pulled away.he was not happy,but boy i could not stop laughing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,kurt

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 07:30:12 pm »

how about me having a go with your newly acquired bat boat pete,and stuffing it upto the coppit into a wall

kurt cave sikk 27

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:37:37 pm »

i have another mate called mark,Al and Pete know him,hes my pit man when i am racing,we went down to the river after we had all the rain and the river was way up the bank,we parked in the car park and walked up a small bank onto the top path,when we was walking back mark decided to walk down the steps that looked like muddy grass at the bottom of the steps(wrong)3rd step down what mark thought was mud was 5 foot deep water,over and in he went,and hes not a small lad,but at least he came out laughing and saw the funny side of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not sure about the drive home from chester to stockport wet through ,,,,,,,,,,,ha. ;D ;D ;D

pete_486

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 07:41:08 pm »

yeah i do remember ill bet there's still a few splitters left in the wall yet, it was a rubbish boat anyway ;).......Pete
ps what about your brother with your miami 55?

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 07:52:32 pm »

Submarine cock-ups... Dump sub in test tank, dive boat, surface boat, boat won't surface....... fault: left waterfeed pipe off and pumped radio compartment full of water! Conclusion:-  PILLOCK!

As above, wont surface but not feedpipe problem. Drag boat out of water Fault: bellows not seated as they were pulled back off the nipples the night before. Conclusion: Total PILLOCK!

Tell everyone else to check and double check and don't heed own advice............. PILLOCK!! :P

pete_486

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 07:55:18 pm »

and another time when Al re enacted a scene out of james bond on queens park boating lake last year when we were running a pair of small electric bat boats, maybe thats why he called himself 007 on rcu he he he.............Pete

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 08:06:25 pm »

sailing on lake, phone goes off, phone answered, in mean time espirit d'atlantique decides it has a magnetic attraction to lake wall at 3/4 throttle, crunch!!!! ^&*%^* ^&*^* &^*(^* !!!!!!!!!!!! damage- split hull/deck join conclusion dont phone and sail!
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 08:10:12 pm »

Always judge the distance between obstacles and the water bank.

My C.C.LEE bat boat flat out i miss judged the distance between lake and obstacle ::) result hit a floating haystack head on, ripping the motor mounts clean out the hull leaving BIG holes for her to sink (luckily got it back thanks to the styrene block in the nosecone).

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

pete_486

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 08:12:27 pm »

Submarine cock-ups... Dump sub in test tank, dive boat, surface boat, boat won't surface....... fault: left waterfeed pipe off and pumped radio compartment full of water! Conclusion:-  PILLOCK!

As above, wont surface but not feedpipe problem. Drag boat out of water Fault: bellows not seated as they were pulled back off the nipples the night before. Conclusion: Total PILLOCK!

Tell everyone else to check and double check and don't heed own advice............. PILLOCK!! :P

that reminds me of another one i did some work on Al's cobra and the next time he put it on the water it pumped half a gallon of water into the hull, id caught the water outlet pipe and pulled it off, i said god thats getting low in the water.........oops.................Pete

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 08:36:12 pm »

and another time when Al re enacted a scene out of james bond on queens park boating lake last year when we were running a pair of small electric bat boats, maybe thats why he called himself 007 on rcu he he he.............Pete

i have been asked whatthis is about in a phone call, what happened is i broad sided petes boat and jumped clean over him,but ask pete about the wooden post if they are there he does and will crash into them he he he ;D ;D

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 08:47:21 pm »

on one of the local lake pete and myself go on, we boat stalled our boats and they ended up getting stuck against an island in the middle of the lake, so we decided to through  some rocks/stones near to the to make a wake thus floating them away from the island, this worked for petes boat so i carried on throwing rocks, in the mean time petes had cleared the island only to be stoned by an old lady that feeds the ducks, she thought i was stoning the ducks so she did petes boat threw rocks at his boat he he he ;D ;D

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:54:04 pm »

I don't know how you can turn up at the lake and leave your transitter at home on charge, I have never done this, I took my 6 meter yacht to the lake and left the sail box at home though.
Alan

pete_486

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 09:08:45 pm »

the wooden post that Al was refering to i did glance of it but half an hour later he did the same thing haaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa, but between you and me those posts were magnetic to boats ;D........Pete

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 09:38:53 pm »

that incrop was a magnet too, a few near misses there to,thats a great test for tight turns great time looking back,danger thin ice ,,,middle of summer

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 10:15:02 pm »

All boats are magnetic.  No matter how big the lake, they WILL find each other.  Unless you are trying to shove one back in.
Boat at lake.  Batteries fully charged.  Transmitter with charged batteries.  Red crystal in boat.  Yellow in transmitter.  Crystal box at home.  Bother.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.