Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What was your first build?  (Read 7058 times)

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
What was your first build?
« on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:07 pm »

Looking through the boat kits on offer, and there are so many, I wondered what models you picked, and the reason you did so.
It might give me ideas for my second model.

Happy sailing, Glyn

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: What was your first build?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »

1st was abait boat closely followed bt a refurb of a sea queen....must get  that out one day

Dave

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »

i have been into warships for years so it's mainly warships, submarines or auxiliaries

Myself and some club mates are building 1:32 scale armed trawlers just now
All different but it's a talking point sharing information and seeing how each other's ideas pan out.
It's been a really enjoyable build as we are working together but different at the same time

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:36:44 pm »

My first boat...a Lesro Sportsman Mk1, about forty years ago.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:44:37 pm »

my first boat was a freelance balsa wood war ship - similar to Glynn Guest's builds - powered by an Orbit Motor and an Eveready cycle lamp better (those with the brass clips on )  :-))  does that count :-) and that was back in the 60s

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:49:43 pm »

My first build was a Mobile Marine Models Canning and found it a wonderful enjoyable time. wish there would do a 1:32 scale Ryhope one of the first diesel tugs in the uk.

Regards Howard.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:03:05 pm »

My first ship was a three food wooden hulled HMS Cressy with a Mamod Marine steam engine, but that was over 40 years ago.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »

My first build was a Billings Progress trawler closely followed by a Robbe Pilot boat for my then 5 year old daughter. A few months after them the council decided that they didn't want boats on village pond so both were abandoned. Motorcycles and rc planes took up the next 30 years. Now I have retired a mate gave me a free plan of a narrow boat so I modified it and made it look like one I have been looking after for 10 years. That got me well and truly smitten hence now I'm attempting to build a MMM Ayto Cross, and learning a lot from this forum. Thank you.
Martin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:35:48 pm »

My first was built with my Dad he had seen copies of the plans in the sixties.

It was an old Nexus plan of the Walton Thames ASRL which we built to 1/12th scale and later corrected to an accurate model after we saw real photographs of the original boat. She still sails to this date so for a 12 year old model built rather differently to what we do now it's doing very well!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »

My first was the Guardsman customs launch circa 1920 from plans by Vic Smeed. Built under guidance from a workmate way back around 1984. I've only ever built from plans since, never bought a kit yet.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 09:12:48 pm »

Around 50 years ago my Dad took me on a day trip to London to visit the "Schoolboys' Exhibition" - remember those anyone? As well as having a great day out and hearing a Hammond Organ for the first time (that was to set me on the path for my career in music!) I came home clutching a box containing a plastic, clip together kit of a 'Fireboat Tug' - bright green and with a 'working' fire monitor. It was powered by a 1.5v motor and I think I put it together that evening. Does this count as a 'first build'?

It soon became clear that the motor was too weedy and that the 'pump' for the fire monitor was never going to produce more than a dribble. So I put in a beefier 1.5v motor, got rid of the pump and the complicated coupling that operated the pump and/or the prop. I put in a stuffing tube, prop shaft and a brass prop from an friend's broken and unwanted wooden tug, with a flexible coupling. This was enough to have her haring around Hove Lagoon and she had more than enough oomph to pull my model yacht (sails furled, of course!). First 'rebuild', perhaps?

She was 'lost' for some time but turned up when my parents moved from a house into a flat and had a mega clear-out. I refurbished her again, but as a static model this time, replacing the now missing masts  and adding a bit of detail like lifebelts and doors. She was also painted in something rather better than bright green! At the same time I 'found' my Triang 'Dawn' tug that my grandmother had bought me when I was tiny. That too was refurbished to replace broken and missing parts. Both models are now in pride of place in a display cabinet with other mementos of my childhood. 'Dawn' still gets the occasional lube of her clockwork running gear and a gentle wind up to see if she still purrs - she does!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 09:17:35 pm »

First build was a Keil Kraft eezee build MTB sometime between 1958 and 61. Moved on to aircraft rubber powered and gliders. The control line Spitfire never really got airborne. I think the steel lines are in the garage somewhere. The .75cc Mills certainly is. Got back into boats about 15 years ago building an American Harbour tug from a free plan and a Brittany Trawler from and MMI plan. An average of one build every 12-15 months ever since. Couple of kits, mostly from plans one from photos (not to be recommended for the faint hearted).
Don't Assume Check

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 09:31:32 pm »

My first model boat was an Artesania Latina Amsterdam tug, completed in March 2004. I had been model building for most of my life, either plastic aircraft hits, RC aircraft or OO gauge railways, and became involved with model boats in 2003. The Amsterdam was suggested to me as a good first kit, and I thoroughly enjoyed building it. It still has the occasional outing at our club sailing days, although would benefit from some refurbishment. The photo was taken by my wife during its maiden voyage in March 2004.

Peter.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 09:37:42 pm »

Model sailing boat - Matchbox Flower corvette - acoms RX and fuelled by of a couple of D sized batteries (yep that's right, entered into the Horwich model boat club at Haigh Hall with the 2 D cell set up - came second to last), then it got uprated to a 6v decaperm and gel battery, oh how times have changed.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »

Hi RAFlaunches.
I got hooked by the Walton on Thames ASRL but never completed her.  Had you picked up the article in Motor Boats and Launches magazine in 1943 (during WW2) about the boat?  Apparently the engines, Perkins I believe scheduled for fitting were lost in an Atlantic convoy, so smaller ones were fitted and she became a training boat based in Scotland.  Lovely looking boat though, I went to the place where she was built and then they were making kitchen units, no one there from the boat building days.
Nice reminder, thanks.
Roy

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »

A per-spec Springer, of course, in 2007.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:29 pm »

Hi all, I started with saving the good bits of firewood my father chopped up and made little 6 inch long hulls with matchstick for masts and paper sails and waited for it to rain!
A bit over 70 years ago now.
I graduated to plans with a Vic Smeed one, a launch I think was called Chiquita, sadly built from 1/16 balsa with a mighty midget motor, clearly never destined for success.
Then I built a balsa boat kit for a Jetex 50, I had sidled off to model aircraft for a while, this went very well.

Then came a Veron Skeeter, that went well too.  I used to use the Taycol permanent magnet motors.
I remember a balsa Felcraft MTB in which I put a Taycol (magnet) motor but on 9 volts rather than 6 and it planed, most of it's life was on holiday in Clacton and in a recent thread the picture of the Boating lake there in 1946 brought back happy memories.  It ended its days there as an elderly aunt sat on it! Only the motor survived.
regards Roy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »

My first build (mainly my Dad with me helping) was a balsa hard chine cabin cruiser from a kit. It was about a foot long and had a small hard chine jolly boat to go with it.

We spent hours applying sanding sealer and sanding between coats before applying a coat of dark blue Humbrol Enamel on the hull and superstructure while the lift off roof was painted black. It came with a brass/iron rudder and a prop shaft and tube plus a little bit of rubber tube to attach said shaft to a drive motor. Sadly we never got round to fitting the motor etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 11:14:08 pm »

My Dad and I (although mostly my Dad) built a Wavemaster on the kitchen table about 1955.   He also repaired radios and T.V's on it so we often had to eat on a small table, much to my mothers annoyance.
My first build on my own, was a Sea Commander, about 1958 and then a cabin cruiser to my own design based on an enlarged Fireboat hull about 1960 which I showed in the 7th. Boat Show, whenever that was.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 04:44:24 am »

Italian Grecale class destroyer, Scirocco.

:-)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 11:24:30 am »

Hi, my 1st build, a model slipway Conserver,then Metcalfs empire Ivy,then a Speedline
1/12 Trent then countless others.

John

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 11:41:05 am »

Some great memories here. I bet some of you now realise how long ago it was! I've really enjoyed reading your memories and looking up the models on the internet. There is no trend, that I can see, re all your models.

Don't think this thread has helped me in selecting a second model to build, probably made my choice even harder. Any way thank you all.
Don't stop, keep posting them.
Regards, Glyn.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 12:32:19 pm »

In 1953, my Grandad helped me carve a Galleon from a piece of Oak. (He was a ships master carpenter and the Oak used to be a railway sleeper!..hard or what!) it floated on its side around the pond on the Ryde esplanade Isle of Wight so was not a great success.

Next came 1968 when I built the Eezibilt Triton in balsa. Joined the club at Victoria Park in Hackney, London. (V.M.S.C)

Bill Reynolds and Norman Phelps (God rest them) co-erced me into having a go at a 'Proper' Boat, which was a ChrisCraft Corvette. 48 inch GRP hull by Eric someone...They found me a 22cc Jap lawnmower engine to power it, so it started as a straight runner. Later fitted FM Matador 10 channel Reed radio to it....lovely boat, sold it to pay the deposit on my first house in 1970.....The die was cast!!

Been building models ever since, came back to boats when I retired in 1998....loving it.........Secret is...build whatever you fancy, there's loads of help on this site.

Ron.

Captin Kipper

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:47 pm »

Hi Ron
The Eric you refer to was Eric Allen. He moulded a great number of GRP hulls large and small many of them still in use at Victoria Park.  Eric was a long time member of the Victoria model steam boat club he lived in Harlow and I beleive he was a founder member of the Moorhen model boat club when they operated on a lake where the Marina is now situated. A fine man unfortunatly no longer with us.

Brian H
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.