Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What was your first build?  (Read 7056 times)

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What was your first build?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 04:16:56 pm »

Its been too long to remember exactly, but based on what i do remember, it was probably either a Lindberg Blue Devil, or a Lindberg PT-Boat...

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:24 pm »

Well I've must hand it to you...that Lindbergh look quite a build for a first model! I think I'd would not have finished it by today.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 05:42:05 pm »

hi there

If we are talking very first kit build; the very first kit I built was a Billings Zwart Zee - I received the kit as a Christmas pressie.    I didn't do a very good of making the kit up - I seem to recall that the wood which was used for the bridge and superstructure kept splitting - I think to be honest with you the kit was a bit too advanced for me at the time. :-)   

I often think about looking on Ebay to see if I can purchase an 'untouched' plank on frame kit to see if I can make a better job of it this time.   

Just out of interest does anyone know when the Zwart Zee was released by Billings?   Not that I will now be able to make much of a better job of the model - but I suppose I could try and read the instructions better or even better still read them this time :-)
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »

Hello Bluebird,

I made the Zwart Zee as a plank on frame kit in 1978 whilst on Ark Royal on her final cruise. I fully concur with your comments on the quality of the wood. I haven't touched Billings since then. This was my first proper model boat.

Technically I suppose my first model boat was when I was about 8 or 9, some 60 years ago. It was a thick plank of wood with a couple more bits nailed on top to look like an Aircraft Carrier. When dragged fast enough along the boating lake on Lowestoft seafront it would submerge to about 3 inches! My Mum used to call it the Ark Royal as that had just been launched in 1955. Little did we know how much I was to see of the Ark Royal in future years!
John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 02:39:06 am »

Hi i have a Billings Zwartze Zea plank on frame model a gifted restoration project.  Possibly you know already that the PoF is to a smaller scale than the plastic hull version also by Billings.

I agree the wood is a bit dodgy, I had problems with the lifeboat davits now resolved so will finish it sometime soon.  But you find the radio has to be buried in the boat and the rudder servo has caused me problems, I am now using a 9 gramm servo with push rods out on deck.  Hopefully I can 'paint them in' so they are not too obvious.
I used a Marx motor with a 1:2 reduction to a 4 bladed prop but not the one in the kit.
To balance out the model I split up a battery pack to fit between the frames forward, but I might change to high capacity AA cells.
I would worry about how the wood has aged for an untouched kit, I have some old Billings wood and it dries out with rather open grain.  I have tried soaking it and drying slowly but not hopeful of the outcome.

There are some good photos of the prototype on the Internet and a few very detailed models as well.
regars Roy

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:33 am »

Thank you Brian,

I could never remember his surname and yes, he lived in Harlow. I met him many times in fact. It was a funny story about the building of the Chriscraft. I was a young Policeman in Hackney at the time, living in a tiny room at the section house in Mare Street. This boat, to me anyway, was monster and only just fitted across the back seat of my old style VW Beetle. (Open the doors, push the seats forward and manhandle it in, and out, couldn't do it today!)

They closed a Police station at night in the area but kept 2 officers in there every night for security and to pass on emergency calls in that area. I volunteered for the assignment as not many of the others on our shift wanted to do it!

I did the building of the Chriscraft through the wee small hours in that police station on night duty..three week stints at that time. My Inspector didn't mind at all..."At least it will keep you awake" was his only remark.

The members of Victoria Park Model Steamboat Club were a great help to me, as I knew nothing at that time, a lovely group and some fine engineers. Its great to see them still going strong at the ME and regattas, as well as the Blackheath Club.
It was because of them that I stuck with the hobby.......that's what its all about.

Ron

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 09:45:37 am »

Hi my first build was the aerokits RAF crash tender built it over the winter of 1968 Bill..

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 12:50:14 pm »

Seeking a new hobby, having given up full-scale yachting, I (innocently!) sought the help of the model shop owner who 'sold' me a Billings 'Osberg' Longship kit. Only when I got home and opened the box did I see the instructions - 'For Experienced Modellers'!  It was quite a challenge but I finished it in 3 months - and it is still in residence in my study. It remains my only entirely wooden model and took me into the deep-end of working with small wooden parts and gave me a good grounding in adapting the model which won't fit the plan!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »

Gg paladin built in public at my first st Albans model show back in 2006....

But I did build a billings kadet with a friend back in 1987. Still Want to buikd another one of those. That's why I stay away from deans marine....I have enough to build and finish already
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Captin Kipper

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »

Hi Ron
Very interesting story. They were the days Ha Ha.
Back to the original Thread
 My first boat was a Veron Police Launch with a Frog 150 diesel engine.  Both purchased from Craftex in Leytonstone. I used to run it in the pond on wanstead Flats . Set the rudder to run in a circle until it either run out of fuel or hit the bank.  all good fun I stuck with the hobby and still get great enjoyment out of both building and sailing all manor of model boats

Brian H 

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

For me as a mere cabin boy, totally uneducated in the model boat world, What goes on in Warwick? Apologies if it's obvious and I should already know.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 02:31:51 am »

For me as a mere cabin boy, totally uneducated in the model boat world, What goes on in Warwick? Apologies if it's obvious and I should already know.

Well it's a matter of conjecture.  Allegedly it is a 3 day model boat show. But on numerous occasions I have been it seems more like a pie eating contest,  tea drinking and pranks going on. Pictures being taken surreptitiously of peeps doing the above. Cake eating or stealing.....and a few model boats on show
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 07:48:04 am »

Hi,

Back on topic I built a Fast Electric 'Flatso' back in 1978 for my CSE Woodwork, just found the plans:

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16805/flatso-mm795

:}
Regards,

Rich

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 10:36:12 am »

My first boat build was a Fairey Huntsman, the larger all wood version, in 1970 something. Powered by a 10cc glow motor, that performed very well. I was at the time using a smaller all wood version, powered by an ED diesel ( built by a fella called Stan) that was even nicer to drive.
in my own little world

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 06:56:11 pm »

when I was 10 yrs ,a friend of family ,he was the foreman moulder at the manganese bronze ,took me to one side  and 2 nights a week showed and helped me build the sea commander ,the cabin cruiser ,I made it ,and yrs later my mother said she gave it to alder hey hospital ,I was at sea ,,,its still there last year when the place had a huge change over ...that is my small claim to fame ...and the kit was from the shop in bold st ,,,Liverpool ...

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 04:25:03 pm »

Hi there, you never know who reads our postings - you sometimes think they go on - unread - but just to let everyone know that I am now the proud owner of a plank on frame Zwarte Zee Kit by Billings along with the fittings to go with it.   The kit is basically unstarted, apart from a few bits cut out.   It was supplied by an ex-member of this forum - and this has shown me that kindness does still exist in this world.

Thank you Martin for passing on my email - all transactions done.

Thank you so much my friend for posting the kit to me.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 08:46:48 pm »

My first build was my model of the Schooner, Bluenose.
 First sail was 27 years ago - - - and is still going Strong !!!.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 01:20:45 pm »

My first build was when I was about 11 years old so some 50 years ago. There was a small motorboat plan in an Eagle Annual which was to be made of Balsa wood. About 10 inches long if I remember. It ran on a 4.5 volt EverReady torch battery with a small electric motor. Hours of fun as no radio control.

I used to sail it in Hornchuch, Essex - there was a small round pond in front of the swimming pool in those days with dozens of kids all doing the same thing.

I then built a large yacht all 18" and then moved on to a huge J class yacht 2 feet long - all balsa and this one still survives as a much favoured/remembered toy!

The rest as they say is history and my Iron Duke is 78" long and I may have reached my limit!

Cheers

Geoff

glyn44

• Flying Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Pass the grog!
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »

You mean yours actually got larger as you grew older! I wish....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 22 queries.