Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spilt CA on mahongany fixable?  (Read 2850 times)

ahdguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Spilt CA on mahongany fixable?
« on: January 26, 2017, 10:16:17 pm »

I'm doing (or attempting to do) a Dumas kit, and whilst trying to sort a loose plank out (another story), I picked up the wrong bottle and basically flushed the side of my boat in ultra thin CA. So now I have a big dark stain on the wood even after spending ages trying to sand it off. 

Being as this is going to have a covering of epoxy - will the stain still show? Any tips on how to get rid or make less obvious?

Many Thanks in advance!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Spilt CA on mahongany fixable?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:08:22 am »

Your question......"will the stain still show?"....unfortunately YES

The thin CA will have penetrated the fibrous structure of the wood.......sand until the cows come home <*<, or you will sand the thickness of the plank to near ZERO & the darker wood colour will still be there

If this is a plank on frame build, or even just a planked deck......you can never have too many spare planks :-)) .......try your local Model Shop & get a plastic sheath of a few spare planks........

Good luck %) .....keep us posted with your build........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ahdguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:26:58 am »

Cheers Derek, I'll look into scarfing (?) in a new planks where it's the affected area - Its the first build i've used CA stuff and the ultra thin is a bit of a handful - well that and I'm rather rusty!

Thanks again - I'll start a build thread and post some pictures - I should have come on this site for advice before diving straight in! : )

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 02:23:19 pm »

It's probably worth a little experiment before you attack your planking with a sharp tool.  Get a few of your planking offcuts, accidentally spill some thin CA on them, wait for it to dry, sand a bit then put some thinned epoxy onto the wood.  That will give you an idea how prominent your stain is likely to be.  In my experience, epoxy and varnish darkens the Dumas mahogany considerably. 

(A thought - had you stained the wood before the accident?  Do you intend to stain it before epoxying?  The CA will almost certainly change the effect of stain applied over it.  Another little experiment perhaps?)

Good luck

Greg

ahdguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 05:05:37 pm »

It's probably worth a little experiment before you attack your planking with a sharp tool.  Get a few of your planking offcuts, accidentally spill some thin CA on them, wait for it to dry, sand a bit then put some thinned epoxy onto the wood.  That will give you an idea how prominent your stain is likely to be.  In my experience, epoxy and varnish darkens the Dumas mahogany considerably. 

(A thought - had you stained the wood before the accident?  Do you intend to stain it before epoxying?  The CA will almost certainly change the effect of stain applied over it.  Another little experiment perhaps?)

Good luck

Greg

Thanks Greg - it's still all bare wood (I did attack the stained area with sandpaper (but as Derek mentioned the wood is probably getting a bit thin)!)
I'll try the test as suggested, it's not been stained, so I wanted to see how the epoxy on wood would look anyway

When I work out how to upload the photos and I'll put some up!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 07:30:49 pm »

I'm probably being a bit of an idiot but if the new colour is consistent, why not treat the rest of the hull in the same way? :embarrassed: That may be an extension of SailorGregs comment?

ahdguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:19:05 pm »

I'm probably being a bit of an idiot but if the new colour is consistent, why not treat the rest of the hull in the same way? :embarrassed: That may be an extension of SailorGregs comment?

Hey Tony, the issue is I spilt the thin CA glue down the planks so have a dark stain where it soaked in and (assumed) that the stained area would remain after epoxy.  It it was my brother doing this build - he probably would have painted the whole boat in CA glue - this is the same guy who spilt house paint on his car, so then proceeded to paint the whole car in it lol!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:23 am »

Great Minds %)

ahdguy

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:05:14 pm »

Thought I would put an update - after a bit of sanding and re-applying the stain to the mahogany, and covering with epoxy, the ca 'stain' blended in really well, so much that you can't even see it.  - Thanks for the input
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.