Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bank  (Read 5077 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
bank
« on: January 28, 2017, 03:33:13 pm »

received a letter from my bank lloyds  today shutting up shop in july  so no banks in perranporth now just in case any body is thinking of a holiday here

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Re: bank
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:43:38 pm »

Join the club. Newhaven's not a small town, around 13,000 people, and has plenty of local businesses (nearly 400 at the last count including a few major factories), but that didn't stop every bank from closing, or moving as Barclays euphemistically called it.

And this week we've heard that they want to close down the Post Office, leaving the town without even a sub-post office. Mailing anything other than a letter would involve a journey of several miles, plus parking charges.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:59:07 am »

Same in Hull, city of 300.000 residents.  HSBC has closed all its branches except 1 in the town centre, this is a walk in with atm's, if you want to speak to a person face to face, you need to book an appointment online. Yorkshire bank has closed its branches full stop.

It seems you have to be internet savvy to get at your money nowadays.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:37:31 am »

Gents....it appears to be world wide universal trend for financial institutions   <*<....our local Credit Union [I have been a customer with them for 50+ years and originally liked the friendly personalized service they provided over the National types of Banks].........

The Credit Union branch office was located in a large shopping complex with plenty of vehicular parking & only a minutes walk ...so what happens?....they relocate to a new smaller office on the high street O0.....No Parking and a 15 minute walk......next will be, they will close that location down justifiably as they will have no actual customers visiting  %%

[I do remember John Cleese talking about Customers......you know, those horrid little complaining people who enter a facility.....wanting to talk with someone, leaving dirty fingerprints on the glass & sometimes dirty foot prints on the carpet]   {-) {-) {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:44:48 am »

received a letter from my bank lloyds  today shutting up shop in july  so no banks in perranporth now just in case any body is thinking of a holiday here
Do you still have Santander ..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 10:40:43 am »

My own bank local branch closed recently but I hadn't been in it for years.

Unfortunately for some we are living in a transitional period where the majority of people don't need a local bank branch but there is still a significant minority such as small cash handling businesses and the elderly to whom it remains very important. The banks would like to do away with cash (nasty stuff which carries germs and is used for buying drugs etc.) which is why they are pushing contactless and all forms of internet banking and payments so hard.

Guess it's called progress.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:20:37 am »

For more than twenty years we had a local friendly HSBC branch less than a mile from home with easy parking, but they closed it.  Now the only one is opposite Windsor Castle, a mile from the nearest pay car park, with a hill so steep that my dodgy legs cannot climb it. 

But, let us not forget local banking was all in the days of much higher interest rates, and huge profits.
Plus most do much of their banking online nowadays.  Gone, like the corner grocer.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 08:08:32 pm »

My Lloyds has just closed down so I don't have a local branch anywhere and what is my closest 5 miles away is not open Saturdays not a lot of good unless your retired, banks gone, butchers gone, milkmans gone but my area is fine for takeaways,24hour Turkish shops, estate agents! and councils wonder why all the shops in the high street are closing.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 09:12:53 pm »

Shops on the hight street are closing because when the rent review comes up they cannot afford the increase which is why the premises are either left vacant or taken over by multiples such as Subway.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:19 pm »

The problem is going to be for new customers, you need to provide 3/4 forms of identification in person to open a new account, you can't do that without a bank

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 10:26:29 pm »

Not only that but the ATM's will be charging  soon unless you have an account with that machine's bank .

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:26 pm »

It's a case of if you don't use it you lose it and people are doing on line banking and don't go into banks. The last time I went into a bank was to pay in a cheque i got into line to pay it in and someone came and asked me what I was therefore and said I should pay it in via an ATM, so the banks are replacing staff with machines.

I don't use ATMs to get money out I always get cash back at a supermarket, don't trust ATMs any more due to so many of them being fiddled with.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »

I went to the bank the other month for £6000 and was told they didn't have that type of cash to hand I would have to order it when I went back the next day the cheeky cow asked me whats it's for.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 09:40:31 pm »

:} :} In fairness I think they have to ask by law, money laundering and all that, also I would have checked first for that amount..
My bank know I withdraw 10k petty cash each week for myself so no probs..

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »

Not only that but the ATM's will be charging  soon unless you have an account with that machine's bank .

We're way ahead of you on that score, most financial institutions here charge a fee for using their ATMs unless you're a customer. In my experience, the fee varies from A$1.50 to A$3 per transaction >>:-(

Peter.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 10:12:18 pm »

and the elderly to whom it remains very important.
Colin

I class myself as one of those, but sadly the Natwest don't think the same.
First they advertise that we will keep banks open for the public no matter what.....using the local quaint bank in Knott End to publicise and advertise their promise.
Within two years of using that bank, they shut it up.
So it was a ferry trip to Fleetwood, because I would rather speak to a real person than a computer screen.
I got a letter just after Christmas saying that the Fleetwood and Poulton le Fylde branches would be closing in June.
So now it is a £3.00 return trip on the ferry to Fleetwood and then a £6.00 return trip on the tram to Cleveleys just to do any dealings that need doing.
Sadly those in high chairs just couldn't give a poo about the elderly who do not like the modern ways of banking. >>:-( <*< >:-o

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 10:27:06 pm »

We had a strange incident which resulted in our HSBC bank closing in the nearest town to me.
The cash ATM which was in the front wall of the bank was ripped out of its position by a JCB in a robbery!
As a result the bank said that the repair to the building was too high to cover the costs of reopening the bank so they shut it down. It's now a Cantonese takeaway restaurant- strange how they could afford the repairs but a multi billion pound bank couldn't! >:-o
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 10:50:57 pm »

Probably found that a few containers of Brickin Curry were enough to make repairs...

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 10:53:18 pm »

Probably found that a few containers of Brickin Curry were enough to make repairs...

Colin

{-)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 01:15:49 am »

This is just one reason why we need to resist, however we can, the banks' desire to do away with cash.
The banks tried to do away with cheques a couple of years back, and due to action by lobby groups and NGOs, the government stopped the banks from doing away with them.
There are many on low incomes who do not have a bank account, for many different reasons, and without cash they would find life much more difficult.
Closing branches, is easy if there are no cheques, this is no cash, and people are forced to bank online. The other nasty alternative is that all cash is electronic, people never check the online bank account and the banks can then do what they like. Doing things like changing interest rates downwards on savings accounts, and slipping in additional bank charges. Things they have done in the past. The savings made never seem to find their way back to the customer.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 01:54:26 pm »

My lovely old Grandad always passed on bits of info he thought would be handy for me to know.

In all seriousness one day he looked me in the eye and said.."Never, ever trust Banks'

This was from a man who kept a few quid under the mattress and finally retired after working for HSBC in the City of London!!!

(And so....I never have......and...as it turned out, he was right!)

Ron.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:52 pm »

Tell us where you live Ron and we will come and pick up the mattress....

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:25 pm »

Here's something else, today opening a mountain of mail, we have a refund cheque from the Inland Revenue (no its real :} ) As a couple we overpaid for 2014 and so the refund. How do you pay  a cheque into your account without a branch to walk in to? In our case it now means a trip into the city to pay it before going for our flights back to Spain.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »

You can't have the mattress, Colin.....I'm still using it!!!

Cheers.........Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.