Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imara  (Read 4646 times)

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
Imara
« on: January 28, 2017, 11:31:26 pm »

So, come the beginning of next week, I might have an virgin Imara twin screw tug kit to occupy my time for the next year or so. I have read a ton of posts on this kit. They range from nothing to worry about to nothing fits and it is a piece of dog dirt. I don't see how a supplier can be so bad for so long and still stay in business so I automatically discard the bottom third of the opinions. Of the rest, I would take 50% with a grain of salt. That leaves the few that admit to the kit being a challenge, but being doable.

I have found many part build threads, but not a complete one. Any help out there on that?

I have a mill and a lathe or two and can certainly clean up some fittings or replace them if necessary.

I will be back at the beginning of the week.

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Imara
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:37:53 pm »

I did the original review of Imara for Model Boats. I think I still have a copy on my PC. If you pm me your email I will send it to you. I don't think there have been any significant changes to the kit over the years. It did have a few pitfalls but still made up into a nice model.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:49:48 pm »

If memory serves me right Brian Roberts form Wrecsam has built one...why not send him a Pm and I am sure he will help you

Dave

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 02:06:27 am »

I was told by a friend in the business that the Imara kits had sold at least 3500 and then they lost count so there are a lot out there.  If they were not so good I think there would have been more than a few on ebay etc.
All the completed ones I have seen looked good to me.
regards Roy

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 08:24:24 am »

Thanks for the replies.

Colin, I have your article and a good one it is/was. Very honest but fair I thought.

Dave, I will get hold Brian Roberts. I have seen many of his pics, but not a build.

Roy, I agree that with numbers like that, there can't be that much wrong with the kit ... or ... there are a few thousand sitting on shelves somewhere.

I have found a complete and finished one not far from me and it was done by a very good builder. I can get all the pics I like of that one.

Tom

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:44 am »

We have one as a club boat, Very nice model.

picture of it breaking ice last weekend.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 09:42:33 am »

:-)) Very Nice model ... although she would have a bit of trouble with the 12 to 16 inches of ice here at the moment!

Is she steam powered or is that a smoker? I would love to do a steamer, but I would have to re mortgage the house to get a steam plant over here.

Thanks

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:47:50 am »

My original twin screw version ignored the rudder so back in the day I needed tank steering to make it go round corners. No doubt a mixer would sort that out now.

It was a lovely boat but just too big to store easily which is why I sold it.

Colin

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 11:04:37 am »

Colin, I have an Active twin controller and mixer that should work just fine on this. What would you say would be the max size of brass propellers one could use? I have a pair of 90mm ones looking for a job, but I suspect that would be a tad of over kill.

It looks to be a bit of a brute, being only slightly (3" shorter in length, and 1 1/2" shorter in width) smaller than the Mr Darby hull I have, but it should weigh nearly half of what the Darby will be.

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:05 am »

Tom,

My model had 45mm brass three bladers which gave plenty of thrust but of course it depends on your motor setup. Plenty of room to go bigger with slower revving props and geared down motors and hopefully there will be others on here who can point you in the right direction.

Colin

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 12:29:49 pm »

Thanks again Colin. I have a pair of Pittman motors that are extreme high torque, low rpm (1400 rpm on 12 volt). They are also very low amp draw, so they might work as well.

Tom

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 12:35:11 pm »

Hi Tom,

I have built the Imara and it was a great build that got many admiring glances..

She took a fair time to construct and came out very well.   I have been looking back over the forum and discovered I built it in 2009 but there is no build blog on here  ???        However .......  I did do a YouTube film which can be seen here ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56lQr0rwzYw

If you get stuck, then you only have to ask on here and we'll do our best to help you.

All the best

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »

:-)) Very Nice model ... although she would have a bit of trouble with the 12 to 16 inches of ice here at the moment!

Is she steam powered or is that a smoker? I would love to do a steamer, but I would have to re mortgage the house to get a steam plant over here.

Thanks

Tom

twin smoke unit.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »

The smoke looks very realistic.

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:58:38 am »

A question for Ken ...

In reading what I could find on your build, you mention that you used 70mm brass props. Did you find they were too big? I watched the vid and they seemed to be cavitating a bit. That being said, was there any room left for a larger prop? I have a pair of 90mm here that I would like to put to use and I am wondering if they would even fit.

I noticed in all the threads I read, that there are many sizes of props used.

Tom

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »

Why not drop John at Jotika a quick email asking for his advice on prop sizes etc.  He is a very approachable chap and should point you in the right direction.  Get the gen from the horses mouth so to speak!

caldercraft@jotika-ltd.com

Carl  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »

Carl, the Imara is (or was) already provided with a couple of large four bladed white metal props. Look OK but don't work too well.

Colin

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:39 pm »

Why not drop John at Jotika a quick email asking for his advice on prop sizes etc.  He is a very approachable chap and should point you in the right direction.  Get the gen from the horses mouth so to speak!

caldercraft@jotika-ltd.com

Carl  :-))

Carl that makes way too much sense O0   

Email has been sent.

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 05:06:26 pm »

In my searching around, I found some pics that a builder did of a working stern winch and a working anchor windlass among other things. Of course, I didn't bookmark it and now I can t find them.

Does anyone know where they were or who built that one?

Tom

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »

I have heard back from John at Jotika and the 90mm props will be fine as long as I have motors that will turn them. A pair of MFA 800's with belt drive reduction should work just fine. They were going to go in the Darby which is on hold for the time being.

Tom

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:22 pm »

The 70mm props did the job very well.  I should imagine 90 mm props would be overkill, even if they fit under the hull correctly.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:25 pm »

Hmmmm ... Well, It wasn't the Imara I got so all the wonderful information you folks provided was for naught.

The gentleman decided that he wanted to keep the Imara after all.

I did, however, come home with a virgin Envoy Class Admiralty tug from Model Slipway.

I need to read the book several times and start searching for information all over again.

Thank You again for all your help. I will likely need it again for this one.

Ken you were right and 70mm props would work better on the Imara.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.