Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: yacht called Maine Chance in 2008  (Read 2508 times)

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
yacht called Maine Chance in 2008
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:21:56 pm »

Hi everyone
I have been delving in the past for a yacht called Maine Chance, and a fellow member called Popeye, in 2008 Popeye put Maine Chance on the forum with some photos of a friends yacht, the friend was M C R, I am interested in how his yacht was controlled, the photo of the servo layout says much but not enough, is it possible that the friend or Popeye are still in the forum, and can explain how it  works.
I have built and sailed a scratch built schooner similar to bluenose 52" length which was controlled using a loop method drum servo, and a servo arm
I am currently building another scratch build along the lines of a VO 60 Ocean racer 58"in length, and whilst I have a system to control the sails I would like see how M C R controlled his yacht if this is possible
regards Howie55

misog

• Full Mayhemer
Re: yacht called Maine Chance in 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:02 am »

You have a PM

Misog

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

Hi everyone
I have been delving in the past for a yacht called Maine Chance, and a fellow member called Popeye, in 2008 Popeye put Maine Chance on the forum with some photos of a friends yacht, the friend was M C R, I am interested in how his yacht was controlled, the photo of the servo layout says much but not enough, is it possible that the friend or Popeye are still in the forum, and can explain how it  works.
I have built and sailed a scratch built schooner similar to bluenose 52" length which was controlled using a loop method drum servo, and a servo arm
I am currently building another scratch build along the lines of a VO 60 Ocean racer 58"in length, and whilst I have a system to control the sails I would like see how M C R controlled his yacht if this is possible
regards Howie55

Apologies for brief reply but I'm shortly off on a prolonged walkabout and am rapidly running our of free time.
In essence, I used two drum winches with the far ends of the closed loops running though sprung (for constant tension) pulleys accessed from the small fore hatch. One winch controls the foresails and fore mast , whilst the other controls the larger mainsail.

Everything works fine, though with hindsight the I feel that sheeted foresails would have been just as efficient if they had had fixed sheets.

Thanks for the interest in 'Maine Chance'.

Let me know by eMail if you want more fotos - though none will further clarify the closed loop system - and I'll forward them on when I return from walkabout mid February.

Regards,

Popeye
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

howie55

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:57 pm »

Hi Popeye
I think we have met before, you sent me details on a servo with two switches controlling forward and reverse for the motor in my schooner " Taste of Freedom" I may have been known then as Flytier07
will send you an email as I have moved to Dorset and changed my email address, its good to talk
Thanks for replying hope you get good weather and enjoy your walkabout
howie55

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:27:36 pm »

good man  martin ,this helps me too .thank you .

stringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »

Thanks for your help in locating these posts, but I am sure there is more, will spend some time on evenings trolling the forum looking for my previous posts
Geoff ( stringer ) ( howie55 ) ( flytier07 ) like I have said before this is what having a memory problem does for you
thanks Geoff
you will never fail as long as you try
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.