Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joysway Orion  (Read 2510 times)

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Joysway Orion
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:09 am »

Bought this yacht as my first RC boat and introduction to RC sailing. Arrived on time from the vendors, minor panic when I realised it needed rigging. Photos of the box suggested it came rigged, then I realised they were from different country and 2 years old. Anyway, followed instructions and all went well, easy really, why was I worried? Found out that one of the mainsail luff? Rings was missing, vendor said would post replacement by Tuesday next week.

Been a bit concerned over batteries, (AA required) single use or rechargeable? NIMH or expensive lithium? What mAh? And then found out rechargeables have a different voltage than ordinary AAs 1.2v to 1.5v. Not sure how a drop from 6v to 4.8v would affect the boat, if at all, so erring on the side of caution have fitted straight Duracell's for now. All worked as expected and set up sails as per instructions. So good to go. Just need to get to the local lake and join one of the 2 clubs that sail there.

Been fun to put together, doesn't matter how much you read as a total beginner, no substitute for having the boat and realising you know next to nothing and have so much to learn. Ha, looking forward to the first sail.

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Joysway Orion
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 11:11:13 am »

Hello,

Well done !!!!.
All you have to do now is to go out and enjoy sailing !!.

John  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:06 am »

Hello John. Thanks for your comment, yes just need to get in the water.....One small problem showed up this morning, the plastic "patches" to cover the deck openings are next to useless...They seem to have been shoved into the box and are bent and will not lay flat so will secure them with electrician tape, might have to see what can be done longer term with them as I think they will need to off and on a lot. One observation is that the battery box is a real pain to get in and out....Very fiddly

I read somewhere that you should puts drops of super glue on each knot to secure them, don,t know if this is right?

Martin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »

Use nail varnish to seal your rig knots.
Super glue has the nasty habit of wicking
Along the thread and stiffening it.
Unless you use the super thick stuff.
Anyway SWIMBO's leftovers are cheaper
than cyano %)
Use pound shop insulating tape for the hatches.
Keeps the water out and cheap enough for
single use.

Ned.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »

Thanks Ned will get on with that tomorrow. Unfortunately coming down with flu so can't see me sailing this weekend, which is a major downer, so looking forward to the first sail...Ah well

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 07:15:39 pm »

Absolutely OK to use AA rechargeables, running at 4.8 volts is not a problem. I have used the same Duracell 2000 mAh NiMH rechargeables for the past five years, still going strong. You will have had enough sailing for one day long before the batteries run out !!

Cheers, Terry.

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:53:47 pm »

Thank you Terry, the battery thing has been bothering me, only because I don't want to run out mid-lake and get the best run time to cost. Anyway onward and upward. Thanks
Martin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.