Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where we live  (Read 2819 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Where we live
« on: August 20, 2007, 02:36:06 am »

Tug Kenny started a post in Model Boats about what we look like. This one concerns where we live. Maybe people in other parts of the world may be interested in what our local area looks like, so I have attached some photos of the area where I live, Lennox Head, on the far north coast of NSW, about 80km from the Queensland border.
Lennox Head is a coastal village of about 5500 people, with a great surf beach called 7 Mile Beach, and a fresh water lake, Lake Ainsworth, only 100 metres from the sea. We are about 20km south of Australia's most easterly point, Cape Byron, and in the photo of the cape, 7 Mile Beach is the second beach south, towards the top of the picture. I took the aerial photos during a flight given to me by my family for Father's Day, a couple of years ago. The Mitsubishi 4WD is ours, and is shown at the northern end of the beach. Hopefully we will see some shots of where other members of the forum live. O0
Peter.

AC RAZOR 45

Re: Where we live
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:13:35 am »

very nice place you got there, but what did notice was the lake looks ideal for my gas boats.....Alan

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 08:09:48 am »

Hi Alan, yes it is a nice place, and the lake is great in theory for sail or electric, but a definite no go for IC. It gets a lot of use from swimmers and sailing craft, but a bit too crowded for models. We sail in Ballina, only 10 mins away - no swimmers, only models.
Peter.

madrob

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:52:02 am »

i live in
flat cap wearing
pigieon fancing
whippet racing Yorkshire
and it looks nowt like the pics up there ^^^^^

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

pete ya making me jealous now!!!!! what a nice place to live, I on the other hand live in staffordshire, with a 2 hour drive from the beach, nearest is liverpool (new Brighton). 
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 09:40:23 am »

beach......new Brighton......... you do have a good...memory

peter

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:46:24 am »

its changed a lot now!! (downhill).  it does have one redeeming feature though a model boat pond
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:51:50 am »

Pond 1962 New Biff

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 03:23:40 am »

Does the beach in New Brighton actually have sand?  :o. The "sand" on the "beach" in Brighton, Sussex would turn your ankle if you weren't careful  ;D ;D. Having said that, I did see some lovely sandy beaches in the UK, particularly in East Yorkshire and East Anglia, although the water was too cold to swim.  :( I didn't get any closer to Liverpool than Anfield, so I can't comment on beaches in that area. We are somewhat spoilt here though, with great beaches and water temperature around 22 degrees C for most of the year. 8)
Peter.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 04:14:23 am »

Peter

Yes there WAS sand and still a bit left the pictures are 1962 ish but across the Mersey is southport and ainsdale , miles and miles of sand, so where in the UK are you heading next year?   I am going the opposite way to Perth for a month or two next year..
Peter

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 07:40:08 am »

Peter,
We are going to be staying in cottages in Wiltshire, where one of my brothers-in-law comes from, as well as Somerset, The Lake District, Yorkshire and East Sussex - a week in each place. We will also spend a few days in London before heading home. We are going over on the QE2 out of Sydney, on the homeward leg of what has turned out to be her final world cruise. When we booked, in February, Cunard had not announced her sale, so that will make the trip a little more special. It should be a marvellous experience, one I never thought I would have, and in fact, I can't believe we are actually going to do it. It will be our 3rd visit to the UK, previous ones being in 1993 and 1997. We hired small motorhomes on each of those trips, but decided to stay in cottages this time, hire a small car, and thoroughly explore each location. It is cheaper to do it this way, as motorhomes have become quite expensive to hire, plus they use much more fuel, which I believe is rather dear over there. We won't see as much of the whole country as we have in the past, but we will see each area in greater detail.
Who knows, I may even find a model boat club to visit :)
Peter

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:24 pm »

Quote from Peter:

with great beaches and water temperature around 22 degrees C for most of the year.

Peter,

after reading Bill Brysons book I wouldn't dip my toe in Australian waters - sharks, jelly fish, crocs etc etc  :D :D

I hope you enjoy your visit to UK, coming across on the QE2 you could use one of the pools to sail your boat all the way.  ;D  ;)

All the best

Doug

PS like your Sentinel - mine is nearing (sort of) completion after several years.
Don't Assume Check

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:42 pm »

Peter,

When you are in Somerset have a look at the Royal Navy Air Station at Yeovilton. I found it very interesting with both ships and planes in the museum.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 05:58:52 pm »

Have they still got Concord 002 there and most of the test Harriers as well , is the cheddar club still going at the old site?

peter

swordfish fairey

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 09:16:53 pm »

Yeh Concorde is still there, the flight deck exhibition is very good.  I think the Cheddar club is still up and running, they have had a few ups and down I believe, but are on the mend so to speak. When you come over Pete give me a shout and you can have a guided tour of the Historic Flight over the other side of the Airstation....Smudge

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 02:59:40 am »

Hi smudge, that would be great. I have been to Duxford and been on the Concorde there, and I've also been to Hendon, but both visits were in 1993, so I'm due for another one. I've been to a few here in Australia as well as the one at Wanaka in New Zealand, but I'm always ready to visit more. ;) :)
Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.