Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC breakfast news  (Read 4987 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
BBC breakfast news
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:03:21 pm »

Has anyone else ever noticed, on the breakfast news (BBC1), whenever they go "live to our London studio", the background footage of the "live studio" is on a loop and has not been changed for years? Yes, the person being interviewed is live, but that background most definitely is not - is this what you might call "programming on the cheap"?

I've also noticed the same thing with our local news (BBC Look North) when they cross over "live to our newsroom in Cumbria". >>:-(

(with apologies to members who don't get those programmes)

Regards,

Ray.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: BBC breakfast news
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:17:36 pm »

Well spotted Ray !  I have often noticed on 'live' interviews on location there is a faint line around the presenter which looks suspiciously like a green screen projected background.

What bugs me is that after the National BBC News they say "And now the News where you are" . . .  and switch to central London.  I live nowhere near London.  Even if I could get a one day car permit online there is nowhere to park.  By public transport it takes two hours.  I could drive to Bristol or Birmingham quicker.
There are not even any decent boating lakes there, as far as I know.  We should go to Southern News, more relevant.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:48:56 pm »

Yeah, I see where you're coming from Bob. We get "local" news items concerning Scarborough, which is 100 miles away. But, I suppose it would be a bit much to expect any television network to give us a studio in every town.

Regards,

Ray.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 12:13:49 am »

I like it when there's 'breaking new story' and the stock footage, in the background,  loops round and round, usually every four minutes!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 12:31:19 am »

You're right there Martin. Particularly when it concerns disasters, multi fatalities and the like.

That's bad enough but, some of the outside "correspondents" ask the most stupid questions of passers-by, residents and so forth - it's really irritating. >:-o

Are these people told what questions to ask ? - and as for those camera "vultures" who seem to want to get close-up shots of a pool of blood on a pavement..... :-X

Rant over, time for bed.....

Regards,

Ray.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 12:32:23 am »

they don't call it the British Brainwashing Corporation for nothing {-) {-) {-)

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:58 am »

{-) {-) {-) nice one Jim. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 07:05:17 am »

What annoys me is going to a reporter stood in the rain outside Buckingham Palace to tell us the Queen has a cold.

The outside broadcast adds nothing to the story.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:27 am »

With regard to local news, most local
News is only broadcast on the SD channel
The HD channel has London as default.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 08:50:03 am »

I also get very annoyed when these `reporters` pontificate.   We want to hear the news, not their opinions.   Pete

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:14:56 am »

The outside broadcast adds nothing to the story.

Maybe not.
This is speculation on my part, but at the end of the year they will probably look at how often the outside broadcast unit was used. The more it is used the less likely it is to be axed. The people wielding the axe won't understand, or need to be told, the nature of the broadcasts when the unit was used. If the outside unit is axed, there is less coverage for when something interesting happens (where it could add to the news story) and one less outside broadcast unit available for sports and other events.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:38:45 am »

In Northern Arizona (a few years ago at least) the breakfast news was on from 6 to 8. The second hour was a recording of the first hour, including the time shown in the corner of the screen! Fortunately I realised quite quickly and didn't miss my appointment.  O0
Don't Assume Check

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 01:05:00 pm »

I hate to say as it's a British Institution but the last couple of years the quality and standards of the BBC have significantly decreased, and whilst I can understand having some budgetary efficiencies on the likes of the background views, the actual content of programmes I'd consider to be interesting are either so poorly constructed or annoyingly inaccurate. And when they do have a brilliantly good programme they sell it to the next channel or destroy it if it doesn't always agree with the company's views (British Bake Off and Top Gear are two that jump to my mind at the moment). :((
My Dad lost faith in the BBC news section after the 1982 BBC Falklands war reporter reporting from an Argentinan airfield stating "it's a wonder the SAS haven't attacked the aircraft lined up in a neat row!". This was conjecture and it wasn't news and what was more disgusting that the SAS were flying in that night to destroy those aircraft on the ground and it would have prevented the losses on both sides if only the reporter had kept his mouth shut and his opinion to himself! The raid had to be cancelled on route because the BBC had let the cat out of the bag!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 11:26:10 pm »

If you look carefully on one of the 'backdrops', you'll see buses, cars and lorries crossing the bridge near Westminster, birds flying in the sky and even waves on the Thames, but the programmers forgot to animate the flag flying from the Houses of Parliament. It's not hanging limply but just stationary to one side. I want a refund!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:48 pm »

{-) {-) {-)

Must admit I've never noticed that one - I'll be looking out for similar things in future though. O0

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 12:44:10 am »

In OZ, one of our national carriers TCN Channel 9, uses a live WEBCam backdrop for their News Readers......yes a live continuous Cam view of Sydney  Harbour....complete with the Opera House...Circular Quay...the Overseas Terminal & the Bridge..... :kiss:...with the News Readers face  {-) superimposed over the water

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:42:54 am »

Two points -
1. If the BBC 6 and/or 10 pm news covers a Scotland-located story it will frequently use a reporter sent up from London ("our Scotland correspondent") for the piece to camera. The following BBC Scotland news will then cover the same story, from the same location and with identical camera angles. It doesn't need a mathematical genius to work out that the duplication of effort is passed on to the license payer and using the local team alone would be cheaper.  Is it the same in Wales and/or N. Ireland?

2. When did background music start creeping into the News broadcasts and who decided it was a 'good thing'? Background music is designed to set a mood or amplify emotions experienced by the viewer and is inappropriate to a medium that should be reporting facts or giving opinions broadcast as such without embellishment. What does it say about contemporary society that it has to have news delivered like a Hollywood movie?

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:25 am »

BBC Breakfast seems to be mainly a medical programme these days. Not a cheerful start to the day discussing horrible ailments and their effects.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »

There are not even any decent boating lakes there, as far as I know.

Round pond, Kensington. Highgate Ponds, Broomfield Park, Victoria park, Blackheath, Gunnersbury Park. That's a few I can think of, probably a few others I've missed.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 08:15:07 pm »

I hate to say as it's a British Institution but the last couple of years the quality and standards of the BBC have significantly decreased, and whilst I can understand having some budgetary efficiencies on the likes of the background views, the actual content of programmes I'd consider to be interesting are either so poorly constructed or annoyingly inaccurate. And when they do have a brilliantly good programme they sell it to the next channel or destroy it if it doesn't always agree with the company's views (British Bake Off and Top Gear are two that jump to my mind at the moment). :((
My Dad lost faith in the BBC news section after the 1982 BBC Falklands war reporter reporting from an Argentinan airfield stating "it's a wonder the SAS haven't attacked the aircraft lined up in a neat row!". This was conjecture and it wasn't news and what was more disgusting that the SAS were flying in that night to destroy those aircraft on the ground and it would have prevented the losses on both sides if only the reporter had kept his mouth shut and his opinion to himself! The raid had to be cancelled on route because the BBC had let the cat out of the bag!

The assault on Goose Green was announced before it went in also alerting the Argentinians. Bloomin heck  >>:-(
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 08:44:39 pm »

The assault on Goose Green was announced before it went in also alerting the Argentinians. Bloomin heck  >>:-(

Yep. Then a certain "gentleman" correspondent had the audacity, to declare himself as, being "the first man to enter Port Stanley, at the end of hostilities", with his bowler hat & furled brolly, thereby upstaging the Para's, who were lined up around the final bend, preparing to march into town in a smart and soldier like fashion.

When I read that, it really made my blood boil. >>:-(
...and then the B*****D went and got himself knighted. >:-o

Regards,

Ray.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:08 pm »

They didn't sell Bake Off - it was made by an independant production company Love Productions (the Government decreed that a certain percentage of BBC content must be bought in to encourge independant makers) who got to the end of the contract and decided they had the Beeb over a barrel so demanded a massive increase in the price. The Beeb for once said no so the producers took it to Channel 4 who were willing to stump up.

Top Gear had to be changed because the main present assaulted a member of staff, he got fired for this and the other presenters decided to go at the same time. If you think that's acceptable, imagine it's your son or daughter getting thumped by their boss and see if you'd be so happy.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:37:46 pm »

Well yes and no.
I don't want to cause an argument...
Considering the uproar from the fans of the Bake Off it seems to most that the BBC didn't try hard enough to negotiate to get a better deal- considering the BBC's past they must have known what the audiences would say about it.
Whilst I don't condone Clarkson's actions- I have seen the old days in my job and what happened if you messed up or didn't do your job properly! You got a "smack" outside the back of the building. Those were different times and I believe what happened was wrong but the way the BBC went around the situation was wrong and seemed deliberate as it was obvious to most that they didn't like Clarkson for quite a few years before it happened. (He wasn't fired they didn't renew his contract) If the Beeb had sorted things out properly, they still could have had the biggest income of any TV programme they owned the rights to and kept the peace but they have lost both. The new Top Gear proved to be a flop and all but one of the original production team moved to Amazon with Clarkson.
To be honest this is the history of the BBC over and over again- it's upsetting because for years they were the font of proper knowledge and respectability... <:(
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:49:01 pm »

Clarkson used to be quite funny once until he rather got up himself as is so often the case. His writing has lost the spark it used to have and often he just seems to be going through the motions these days. Past his sell by date really.

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 10:59:41 pm »

I agree Colin

I've read some of his first scribblings which were published in one of the many books that have appeared over the years and I laughed at the first three books and then it just seemed to trail off.
He works better in a team with the other two guys.
Nick B

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.