Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Sub Charging  (Read 1449 times)

modboat

• Full Mayhemer
Model Sub Charging
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »

Hi Guys
I Have a Robbe U2540 XX1 (The Big Long one about 7 foot long)
Had as a show piece and now got the courage to put on the water.
Anyone got any ideas how to charge the two 6volt batts in situ as
getting the tube apart to gain access is a pain on this one.
Thought about two charge points but thought I may get floating fish from the
batts while in water.
Thought I might make a watertight box with sealed lid to put in forward area and
hide behind grill. Is there a better way??????

Bob

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Sub Charging
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:15 pm »

do not charge the batteries in a closed WTC.  recharging the 6v SLA batteries will cause them to outgas hydrogen, which is explosive. ALWAYS charge the SLA batteries with the WTC opened, and in a well vented area.

modboat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:15:55 pm »

Hi tsenncal
Thank you for the information but feel I may have not have explained properly.

What I said was that I did not want to remove the sealed tube from the hull due to amount of work.
However the tube is only sealed when I pressurise it through a tube in the top through the coning tower.
When out of the water the sealed tube can be open/vented to allow air flow.

I just wanted to know how other members charge batteries without the removal of the tube ie: a remote
charge point possibly watertight socket. Or has no one invented this yet ???

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:41:47 pm »

modboat,

having owned the type XXI's little brother, the u47 by Robbe, i fully understand your original statements, and your additional explanation, but i state that it isn't that "Or has no one invented this yet ???"...   it is that nobody wants to burn down their house...  even with a small vent "allowing air flow".  that is not what i would consider "well ventilated".

getting and keeping a submarine working is not something that you do for 5 minutes before you put it in the water...

take the time and effort to disassemble the WTC every time you use it, and expose at least 6" of the tech rack... not just to vent the batteries, but to allow:

full inspection of the major workings (motors, servos, linkages) before and after running the boat, checking for any unusual wear of components (especially the seals).
removal of any condensation that may have collected while running the boat.  nothing will rust a brushed motor faster than a teaspoon of water in a sealed WTC allowed to sit for a week.

if there is still a desire to leave the batteries in the tech rack, then tilt the nose down (or the stern up), and wire up an extension to the wiring harness, so you can mount a charging jack at the rear of the tech rack.

there is a reason why the wood and plastic ship stand that Robbe includes is designed to hold the two parts fully disconnected.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:12:49 am »

Hi,

Or you could remove two of the hydroplane belows )frd/aft and vent through there, i did use a fan to blow through and ventilate for 24 hours before reconnectin on my U47.

Rich
Regards,

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.