Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useless information...  (Read 7991 times)

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Useless information...
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »

I'm not an ex smoker, as I was smart enough not to get on them in the first place. But I have many friends who thought it was smart to smoke and are now enjoying the pleasures of COPD with limited lung function, and most are much younger than I am. This is not a great life with limited physical capability, and carrying around an oxygen bottle for the rest of their lives, but there has been plenty of published evidence for years that smoking is a health hazard, and it's not just about cancer, although that's one of the major effects.

I'm with The Longbuild and agree that the world would be a better place without the filthy things. Many councils here in Aus are starting to ban them in public places and food areas, and that's great because I can now walk down the main street in Tamworth without being assaulted by the smoke of inconsiderate smokers who care about nobody but themselves.
And throwing their filthy fags from cars is a major cause of bushfires here in Aus, and the penalties if caught are quite high, but the problem is catching the morons at it! Impounding their cars is a great idea, and a lot heavier penalty than what currently exists. I now have dash cams installed in my vehicles, so if I was to see it happen, there is recorded evidence.
I don't have a problem with people who want to smoke and risk their health, and I don't give a toss if if kills them, but I do have a problem with when they are about in public and spreading their smoke to other people who should not have to share in their filthy habit.

Ian.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 11:29:39 pm »

Probably time this thread was closed.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 11:32:37 pm »

.....my boss [the senior Foreman in Weapon's at Garden Island] was a man  that I considered as great in many ways :-)).......15 stone - 6' tall - jolly - knowledgeable - displayed great wisdom in industrially related dispute matters, absolutely fair, firm and authoritative in manner as needed .........I had a tremendous respect for him..... [we all learn from such superiors displaying these worldly traits] .......  a non smoker from birth to death

Sadly he died of an asbestoses related lung disease some years back......as an apprentice he spent years under the decks of HMAS Melbourne and HMAS Sydney repairing the Arrester Gear Systems.....yes steam catapult's........and all lagged with that same asbestos.....I saw coloured images of the men  from those years.....green overalls in the morning......their overalls, hair and faces all white as snow  <*< by lunchtime

World Governments have banned the use of asbestos but are faced with a trident of issues with tobacco

1. make tobacco smoking illegal
2. consequences are loss of Government revenue + the illegal industry would flourish which would also further contribute to a decrease of tax revenue
3. the loss of Government revenue would be [Politically offered] a contributor to lower funding for our health system

In Australia, any older person hoping to be admitted to Hospital for any type of elective surgery....if they tick the box about being a smoker is [unofficially] a trigger for the Computer system to put them and keep them on the never ending waiting list............

Most of my grandchildren whilst happy to see all grandparents, however decline to be held of cuddled by a grandmother that still part takes in the burning of tobacco as a hobby.........O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 12:10:12 am »

Hullo Bob......in an effort to gain an impartial view on this thread <*<, I have forwarded it to a relative [yes many will know O0], a now retired Professor of English Language from one of our Australian National Universities

This chap completed the PhD in the UK, and whilst now retired is often booked to speak on this subject of the English Language in World Forums

His initial comments were......'without entering into the debate in the consumption of tobacco related materials'

1. the vast majority of postings are from ex or non smokers
2. many postings offer personal views
3. a number of postings related to personal medically related matters
4. there did not appear to be any evidence written or displayed of an 'obsessive hated' [hatred?]
5. clearly no offerings or actions suggesting to the scale of a Damascus Type Conversion
6. the "zeal" of an IS fighter is yet to be qualified and so no comment is offered here

As I have recently mentioned, the English language is certainly a basket full of words that can be difficult to use, or conversely easy to mis-use
Always good to get a balanced view :-))

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2022, 05:48:04 am »

Following is an extract from the Ipswich Journal, 25/2/1758
The subject is the grounding of HMS Invincible on the sands off Langsstone Harbour.......a good example in the use of Schaffersf to represent an S in language content......I have highlighted the f 's that I believe are pronounced as s's...... any ideas? {-)   
--------------------------------------
mmmmmmmmmmm absolutely great reading.........but all too hard to import the story <*< sorry ............
Derek

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthedockyard.co.uk%2Fexplore%2Fthe-victorian-ropery%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2yMHoTCwnnwkpDv7R4yLj365HZm51d-0W7wM1czIKm0WljvspYYbyumgE&h=AT1Kk2esEmatxrpUD1tZ_t195-pJ5AzvdVR-1si4NQI6kZ7D9Y4_xf9BiDvt1IQA37MKSUqKXdpZ4iDhgWHPlhWKRs6SyEEdP9KboRh3x1wkGFc5iDh_W0zZ245yjT55uPfTInc78_A2Ri1cCYZ5&__tn__=R]-R&c[0]=AT0pq9GFRzsxZ4Ommt6pNWyQtpH4tSHzwpPpDergyipH3lbHKNT_o7c5gI6G9KIZpzP6dA0Lix65sH-viYHyUoz1cPZ-3XSRF-fB8B7T2hxBE6dc_ehN-aRRQ-vqLGSGQN5vRWIBiGrcGEwtSRwLtn5r_Qf234oWIxOeHOECBvvTfyI9MKm-T9ZNi3ygaEqI8L4pKK8xnvPWbJ-femk
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2022, 10:41:25 am »

All I got was a load of old rope ?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2022, 11:55:20 am »

Yeh....in 1/4 of a mile lengths of new rope according to the text {-) , but hit the Explore  button  O0
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 03:11:47 pm »

More by luck than good judgement I have never smoked, not even one, lots of reasons why but when I grew up most people smoked and as a non smoker you were expected to put up with it. Secondary smoking kills as well.

Now if people want to smoke in general that's up to them but they do not have the right to inflict it upon others. There are well known health hazards such that all offices in the UK banned it some time ago. Quite frankly good as I no longer have clothes that stink and can breath properly in the office.

Its funny how the new norm affects people. A few years ago I was in Portugal and they still generally smoke and I had to leave the venue because of the stench. The next day all my clothes really really stank.

There is an old expression there nowt so worse as a reformed smoker but I can smell smoke from 50 yards and if someone has smoked can smell it on them if they are near me! The other truism is that a smoker cannot really understand how offensive the smell and fumes are to a non-smoker but they just expect us to put up with it - why should we?

Its just the way things are and if you choose to smoke its up to you but as above you have no right to inflict it on others who choose not to. However I think it right there should be smoking areas but they do need to be completely separate.

The only thing that should be smoking are the funnels on model boats!!

Cheers

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2022, 03:22:44 pm »

The only thing that should be smoking are the funnels on model boats!!

And they just vape these days... %%

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2022, 04:20:23 pm »

It's a long time since I gave up smoking, just got fed up with the habit. But when we moved house about 40 years ago the two owners were both very heavy smokers and when they moved out the walls and ceilings were thick with yellow nicotine. It took me several weeks with buckets of warm water and sugar soap to get the crut off the surfaces, and even longer for the smell to disappear . I remember thinking , If the state of the walls and ceiling were any indication of the condition of their respiratory systems heaven help them.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2022, 05:22:22 pm »

As a child all houses had yellowish ceilings from the smoke, it was just usual. Its rarely seen now which is a positive thing. I've often though of vaping for funnel smoke but haven't seen it done successfully yet. I think one issue is that the heating coils in vaping are only meant to be used for a second or so at a time. That could probably be circumvented by using two, one on, one off etc.

Given the clouds of vape it may look very effective.

I've actually though of going back to the old incense sticks - a couple in the funnel would probably burn for about 45 mins? Must do some experimentation!

Cheers

Geoff

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2022, 09:17:41 pm »

I decided to give up smoking on November 1st  2020 (Sunday 9 am), 1 pm had a heart attack......taken to hospital in Rouen (50Km away) as Dieppe hospital was full of Covid patients...
5 30 that evening in a hospital having had a stent fitted, left on the Wednesday......
Not had a cigarette since.... :-)
[size=78%]Wake up call I [/size]thought.... :-)) [size=78%] [/size]
Steamed up all the time

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2022, 10:54:25 am »

Tuesday 18th Aug. 2002 6.15pm last cigarette while suffering 2nd MI. Cold Turkey after 35 a day, (only 20 that day). After managing to not have to take tablets for other things, came as a system shock of having to take five a day since that date. Won't criticise anyone for smoking as I used to enjoy mine but you've got to WANT to stop and forget all the patches and potions. You got the best inducement Phil  :-))

Regards  Ian.

Still get the urge now and again after a meal BUT taint gonna happen.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:29 am »

I've never had a cigarette in my life. Plenty of passive smoking as kids though. My Dad died of lung cancer and I have a very close relative currently in hospital with inoperable throat and mouth cancer plus severe heart disease after a lifetime of smoking.  :((

Colin

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2022, 07:25:31 pm »

Hi Phil, good on you, tell me, what have you done with all the money you have saved since packing it in. Mother stopped smoking but she still put the money away each day what she would have spent, in  short while she redecorated the entire flat. nemesis

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2022, 10:16:01 pm »

I smoked from age 15 to age 40 when I saw the light and stopped without substitutes of any kind, best decision of my life and 24 years later it has paid me in many ways. The guys I know of my age who still smoke all look like they don't have as long left  :((  or already pegged it.

PS my dads idea of stopping me smoking was to steal my cigs and smoke them himself. Yes he's dead long ago now after 60 a day for decades.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 03:34:30 pm »

I'm 72 and gave up 2 years ago and still miss them. I loved my tobacco, pipe and cigs, but was always careful not to inflict my fumes on others. Looking back I was a fool to start, wisdom in hindsight.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.