Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Useless information...  (Read 7928 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Useless information...
« on: January 31, 2017, 04:52:16 pm »

The good lady reminded me that it was a year ago (give or take a day or so) I gave up smoking...haven't touched one, or wanted one, in all that time.

Well pleased with myself... ;D
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Useless information...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:39:40 pm »

August 14 at 7.30 a.m. 2014 - sticks well in my mind

I was at my computer - almighty pain - turned around - rushed off to hospital - and remember the Doctor saying to me - you have to turn on your side - and I will always recall the excruciating pain as the medics inserted - what looked like a welding rod - through my ribcage.    That is all I remember until the next morning - woke up black and blue from my armpit to my hip on my right hand side. Pipes and bits were hanging from me - also a box type of thing attached to me that was bubbling away while I was trying to breach  - collapsed lung.   When I recovered and they came to remove all the pipes etc I asked for the pipe that was inserted through me - this serves as a reminder every time I want a cigarette.   I look at this jar with the pipe in it - and this will remind me of the pain and are cigarettes worth it.

Here you go all - if you want to PACK IN SMOKING and want something to help you along the way - HAVE A LOOK - nobody enjoyed a ciggy more than I did.

Breathing is a lot more enjoyable by the way :-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:33 pm »

Seeing your photo Bluebird reminds me of a similar thing they showed me when I went to a smoking sessation clinic at my local surgery. Put me off smoking and haven't touched one since, that was 5 years ago. I have taken to electric fags now so I get my nicotine kick that way, and it's has saved me a fortune (about £6 a day), means I can buy more boats.
Martin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:43 pm »

Wow now that's a stark reminder to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:21:47 am »

The good lady reminded me that it was a year ago (give or take a day or so) I gave up smoking...haven't touched one, or wanted one, in all that time.

Well pleased with myself... ;D

Congratulations and well done rich. I hope you feel much better for doing so.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 08:47:37 am »

I sure do, Jim...my COPD hasn't really changed,  but my pocket money has increased  ;)

My home smells better,  cuddle ratio has increased ten fold  ;D   well worth doing!   :-))

(I should add that I do still use an e-cig, along the lines of a 'comfort blanket')
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:21:33 am »

Useful fact #2   cigarettes cost about £24 in Australia for 20, graphic disease pictures on packet.   Price them out of existence in UK I say.
..well can you land on this?

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:52:04 am »

It's funny, the smell of cigarette smoke and/or smokers never bothered me in the past, but since giving up I can smell the merest whiff a mile off, it almost makes me pysically sick.

Rich

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 03:50:15 pm »

cigarette smoke and/or smokers never bothered me in the past, but since giving up I can smell the merest whiff a mile off, it almost makes me pysically sick.

I am the same after packing them in 29 years ago.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 11:25:36 pm »

Yes, in OZ.....

Current cost is about $1.00 per cigarette = $30.00 per day for the average puffer = $10,950.00 per year   >>:-(

The alternative = $0.169 per day on Government Prescription Nicobate type patches = a 3 months set cost $15.90 :-))

Gave up the habit 20 something years ago O0......

Wasn't it Sir Francis Drake  <*< that introduced tobacco to Europe after one of his voyages to the Americas?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:34 am »

I thought it was Sir Walter Raleigh and that his housekeeper threw a bucket of water over him thinking he was on fire

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:01 am »

:-))...yes 100% correct BrianB6...I could visualise the scene from the movie where the smoker was in his big chair in the ships great room & the bucket of water was thrown from afar.....however certainly got the name mixed :embarrassed:

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:01 am »

It's strange, but when I had my second (and almost fatal) heart attack, the surgeon told me that if I didn't quit, the next time he saw me would be at my graveside. That was in 2008...I carried on smoking for another eight years! Why did I do that? Stubborness, maybe? Lord only knows...

I had my first cigarette at the tender age of nine...yes, 9. My father got his baccy tin out, rolled me a smoke, and said "eeyar boi...." and that was it. What with fifty years plus of inhaling tobacco smoke, diesel fumes, road dust, sh*t and cr*p from forty years plus of trucking, I consider myself lucky to be still alive...

Rich

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 09:16:43 pm »

It's been 5 years for me and most of the time I feel the better for it. Over 50 years I smoked, mostly non filtered.  My bank account certainly feels healthier.

Tom

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:18:01 pm »

Well ....some 60 years ago, my Grandfather & I would walk about 1/2 a mile to the grounds of South Bulli Colliery with a push wheel barrow & spade.....we collected the horse manure [courtesy of the Pit Ponies] .....this was destined for Pa's rose bush garden......

Pa was not allowed to smoke at home, but hid two small metal tins hidden under the house where the wheel barrow was stored.......when at the Colliery fields, Pa would make a rollie & give me a puff

I thought he was the greatest.......Nanna would chastise him  <*<...when we got back home as she could smell tobacco smoke on his clothes..... {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 03:43:54 am »

My late Dad was taught to smoke in the army during WW2 and after 44 years decided he needed to get off them, so he went cold turkey. This is not easy or so they say, but his solution was to carry a packet of butterscotch sweets, and each time he felt like a fag ( read ciggie ), he sucked a sweet, and it worked. Probably didn't do his blood sugars any good, but it wasn't what finally killed him at 81.
He then regained his sense of taste and smell which he had lost due to the smokes, and he also became quite aggressive towards other people who smoked near him!
He never smoked tailor mades, but only rollies, and I still have a heap of the empty Capstan tins with bits and pieces stored in them.

Luckily all 4 kids never took up the habit.

Ian.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 09:41:03 am »

My Dad smoked Condor Twist and Woodbines ,Mother smoked Embassy , Dad gave me a ten bob note and a box of matches and said set fire to the ten bob note  ,could not do it ,then he said that what you are doing every time you smoke . Never had a smoke in my life .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 10:14:51 am »

I am sure the authors here feel pleased with themselves, and good luck to them. 

However their burning desire to compel their Damascus-like conversion on others often borders on radical discrimination.  Most of us if we live long enough will develop cancer of some kind.  If you are a smoker that’s the reason, if not you must have once been near one.  Doctors will tell you the risk remains for at least 15 years, so if you are into your seventies it makes little practical difference. 

As long as I do not smoke near you, please rein in the compulsion to convert me to an anti-smoker with the zeal of an I.S. fighter having caught you with a bacon butty.  We all have choices.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

1. Is this a quotation by the Chairman of the Board of British/American Tobacco?
2. Latest studies from the University of Stupidity suggests eating pork will decrease sensibility and increase senility

:kiss:... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 03:15:28 pm »

I am sure the authors here feel pleased with themselves, and good luck to them. 

However their burning desire to compel their Damascus-like conversion on others often borders on radical discrimination.  Most of us if we live long enough will develop cancer of some kind.  If you are a smoker that’s the reason, if not you must have once been near one.  Doctors will tell you the risk remains for at least 15 years, so if you are into your seventies it makes little practical difference. 

As long as I do not smoke near you, please rein in the compulsion to convert me to an anti-smoker with the zeal of an I.S. fighter having caught you with a bacon butty.  We all have choices.

'scuse me? I don't recall attempting to turn you into a non smoker? I don't give a wotsit if you smoke, if you drink, what ever you do...doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Enjoy your bacon butty...
Rich

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »

You upsetting people again Rich  <*<

Actually I don't think Bob was pointing the finger at anyone in particular???

For me I can't get my head around these vapour cigs, I know a few people on them, and they all seem to say the same, they've given  up smoking.
What happens when you stop using them then? Everyone I know has gone back to smoking the real things.

Just wait, 10 years time they will come out with those vapour fags are bad for your health  {-)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »

in reply:  I was only getting tired of those who ceaselessly try to “convert” others who enjoy smoking in an almost quasi-religious obsession. 

Think on this:  If everyone in the world stopped smoking now, when most cancers and almost everything else short of ingrowing toenails is expertly blamed on it, then in twenty years’ time when the prevalence of these ailments has not declined significantly – what will they blame them on then?

Can we get back to model boats please?
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:44 pm »

Again if you do not like what you read on the Chit Chat site Bob K then move on to another thread, Simples eeek   Do you have a personal vendetta against the Chit chat Section ??.

Personally I would ban cigarettes totally, not allow them in any public spaces etc etc. Anyone seen throwing a butt out of a car should have their car impounded and crushed   :police: 8) 8)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 06:45:16 pm »

:-)) I gave up smoking 35 years ago after a bout of pneumonia which nearly killed me,funny but now I can't stand the smell of it at all,as an apprentice I worked in a power station which was completely covered in Asbestos,after working there for 17 years I must have quite a bit in my lungs so if I get a couch I pop down to the hospital for an X ray,the thing that annoys me is that they knew how dangerous it as early as the 1930s,I worked there in the 1960s and 1970s and they never told us,I wonder how many of the people I worked with died because of this. >>:-( 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

Personally I would ban cigarettes totally, not allow them in any public spaces etc etc. Anyone seen throwing a butt out of a car should have their car impounded and crushed   :police: 8) 8)

Sadly, this is typical obsessive hated of many ex-smokers.  Quite sad really what this does to some people.

BTW: My first five years in engineering I worked cutting asbestos, no masks or ventilation.  No one seemed bothered.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.