Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway Assurance Tug  (Read 12786 times)

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
Model Slipway Assurance Tug
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:01:38 pm »

Hello

I've been building a 1/43 Scale Assurance tug from MSW for the past 6 months and thought I would share a few pictures of how it's coming on, my modelling time is quite limited so progress is slow but i'm enjoying it none the less.
The images are from various stages of the build and show a few changes I've made mainly being wooden decks.

Would just like to say thanks to a member on here ( Radiojoe ) as I've followed his Envoy build and asked him many questions which he has answered brilliantly every time.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Slipway Assurance Tug
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:05:29 am »

Hi Korp 1010

Very impressive build, have you decided what colours to paint her?

Look forward to seeing more

Spud

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:51:50 am »

The inside looks as good as the outside!

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:23 am »

Got to agree with BrianB6 ... inside and out is excellent.

Tom

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

Thanks for the comments, I've taken loads of photos of the build but didn't want to clog up the site so will post the main ones.

Hi Korp 1010

Very impressive build, have you decided what colours to paint her?

Look forward to seeing more

Spud

Hi spud she's going to be painted in Civilian colours so red and black hull with white superstructure hopefully when the weather improves.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:12 am »

I have just started my Envoy build this week and I am taking careful note of your framework as the two hulls are pretty close to being the same.

Cheers

Tom

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live Long and Build Em All
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »

Adding wooden supports is one of the things I wish I had done with mine... too late now - I am almost done with my own.  The build looks fantastic!
http://philciborowski.weebly.com/

Stop by my site! It's always growing!

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 07:16:24 pm »

I have just started my Envoy build this week and I am taking careful note of your framework as the two hulls are pretty close to being the same.

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom, Enjoy the build as I've loved making this model so far. I used the original plastic deck beams as a template so the curvature of the deck was the same. Just make sure to measure once, twice and three times with every part as it pays off when you come to fit the decks which can also be drawn around if you want to use 2mm ply.

Adding wooden supports is one of the things I wish I had done with mine... too late now - I am almost done with my own.  The build looks fantastic!

Very nice build Phil and i'm not far off the stage your at just the the Mizzen mast to complete and a few storage lockers. It's the first time I've moved away from the very detailed MSW Instructions but my Hull needed some spreading to get the correct beam so used wood instead.

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 07:36:18 pm »

Just a few more pictures with some progress from the weekend. The foremast is nearly complete, all the railings have been made up using Robbe ball stanchions and I've made a start on the the lifeboats. Only a few main parts are glued to the deck at the moment as the majority need painting before final fit.
Regarding the lifeboat covers I would like to glue actual material to them for a more realistic look, can anyone recommend a decent spray glue for fabric to plastic?

Matt

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:40 am »

greetings, I had the same issue with making the boat covers look realistic, most I've seen seem look too bulky and draw the eye . I prepared the plastic kit cover and took  ages making a template of the shape required, then I tried using various material to give the effect of a canvas tarp. I tried hankerchief material, silk stuff and the synthetic packing that came with some curtain blinds, this was by far the best as it had a fine canvas type weave, but they all looked crap really. ........ then I was having a meal at a pub when someone commented that the paper napkins were really strong when wet... and an idea formed...so I grabbed a load and tried those. Around the edge was a embossed edge which was cut off, the rest had a texture that looked like a fine woven fabric. I rubbed down the plastic cover and gave it a coat of PVA and draped the paper towel over it and wetted it into place with diluted PVA. With a soft brush I could tease wrinkles and rucks into the paper to give the look I was after. I left the PVA to cure and re-coated with a couple more coats, then when dry used a new sharp blade to trim it...primer, top color, job done.No bulk added, conforms to shape perfectly, lovely, easy, cheap. hope that helps. sorry no pics , boat packed away for move to Lancashire.

regards Jenga

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 01:39:11 pm »

greetings, I had the same issue with making the boat covers look realistic, most I've seen seem look too bulky and draw the eye . I prepared the plastic kit cover and took  ages making a template of the shape required, then I tried using various material to give the effect of a canvas tarp. I tried hankerchief material, silk stuff and the synthetic packing that came with some curtain blinds, this was by far the best as it had a fine canvas type weave, but they all looked crap really. ........ then I was having a meal at a pub when someone commented that the paper napkins were really strong when wet... and an idea formed...so I grabbed a load and tried those. Around the edge was a embossed edge which was cut off, the rest had a texture that looked like a fine woven fabric. I rubbed down the plastic cover and gave it a coat of PVA and draped the paper towel over it and wetted it into place with diluted PVA. With a soft brush I could tease wrinkles and rucks into the paper to give the look I was after. I left the PVA to cure and re-coated with a couple more coats, then when dry used a new sharp blade to trim it...primer, top color, job done.No bulk added, conforms to shape perfectly, lovely, easy, cheap. hope that helps. sorry no pics , boat packed away for move to Lancashire.

regards Jenga

Thanks Jenga I've been on the hunt for a fine green fabric for ages for the covers but never thought about paper napkins and then painting them once set so i'll give that a try on some scrap and see how it turns out.

Matt

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »

Hi Korp1010 for hatch covers in the past ive used handkerchiefs soaked in green paint hope this helps  Bill..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 11:24:23 pm »

On larger models fabric does indeed have the advantage of being pre textured.

Bill, did you use Humbrol enamel or another paint type?
Pond weed is your enemy

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:34 am »

Hi Ballastanksian I used thinned humbrol tends to be a bit messy but does a good job  Bill..

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 07:04:15 pm »

Thanks for the hints and tips everyone i'll be sure to try them out when I add the lifeboats.

Matt

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »

The hulls for the Envoy (no longer produced as a model by MSW) and Assurance tugs are exactly the same. I had an issue drilling the hull for the prop tube despite going up in 1 millimeter drill size at a time. Id advise drilling the hole then use a rat tail fil to increase the hole and channel inside the hull.

The Envoy had a fibreglass superstructure rather than plasticard and took some fettling to get right.

The plasticard rudder was a little problem as it looked 'curved' under construction but by the time the stays and top and bottom supports are added, proved to be ok. If you've some spare brass hanging about, you may want to use that instead.

I used the plasticard for deck beams, decks and substituted plastic tube instead of the supplied dowel for the air vents beside the funnel.

Although the hull can stand it, the white metal fixings add a lot of weight topside so Id be careful using a lot of wood for internal bracing etc. especially by the time you come to add a couple of SLAs for power and a foggy unit.

To be honest, I didnt have problems with the vac formed boat covers. Bit of care and time triming them and threading the string made a good effect I thought.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPVZ6yIgnVR4D0MiV88O6SCy1yrTjJYUnYs-5vv

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOuCULnbphILOPms2Nq0m4-KI5JMgmDEsg-1esH

Just my opinions though

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 08:49:28 am »

I used a single sheet of a plain tissue for my boat covers. Toilet paper may also work so long as it doesn't have dogs or patterns embossed in it!
Laid it on the top of the plastic and stippled MEK / Pasticweld on the top. That melts the plastic and bonds the tissue to the surface.

Once it's all dry I painted with Humbrol green. Looks pretty good I think.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:07 pm »

Thanks for all the replies and info that keeps coming in it's really useful.

I'm at the paint stage now so most of the major graft is finished and I had heard about being careful installing the prop shaft but pleased to report I used the file method and all went well without any cracks in the fibreglass.

I too wasn't keen on the laminated styrene rudder so used some copper clad sandwiched between two thin bits of styrene which has improved it's strength considerably.

I like the idea about using plastic tube for the large vents so may remodel those although the wood dowling has been sealed with Ezekote sanding sealer which should hide the grain.

Not 100% sure how the final model will sail but the hull takes a lot of ballast as the battery i'm using is a 12v 12ah lead acid and with everything in place she's still sat some way above the waterline but as you say still have a foggy unit to add yet.
I will add more photos soon once all the painting on the hull is completed.

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 03:37:00 pm »

Hi all

Just wanted to wrap this build up as I've now completed the model and wanted to show what the above turned into. Really enjoyed the build and have since added a smoke unit for that huge funnel.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 03:54:52 pm »

Wow thats a first class build and looks perfect on the water  :-))

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:16 pm »

That came out wonderfully! I Love that bow fender! I might need one for my tug :embarrassed: Its nice to see another one of these built up too

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »

Wow thats a first class build and looks perfect on the water  :-))

Thank you she sails really well with the 70mm prop and barn door style rudder.

That came out wonderfully! I Love that bow fender! I might need one for my tug :embarrassed: Its nice to see another one of these built up too

Thanks Phil, the fender I found on ebay and really sets the Bow off and protects it from any knocks. Thanks for the advice regarding the lifeboat covers also as I found some grip tape and it looks great.

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 07:58:58 pm »

Glad I could help  :-))   

Gardener

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 05:44:53 pm »

Looks great ! :-))

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 06:41:50 pm »

Hi Korp1010,
 if you ever want to weather your bow fender lots tell me the cold tea (no milk) is a perfect stain for them,
                      Regards Howard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.