Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spektrum Receiver Problem  (Read 2096 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Spektrum Receiver Problem
« on: February 05, 2017, 11:42:57 am »

At least I think its a receiver issue or hope that it is  %%

Today I connected up the receiver in the Fairmount Alpine which is a Spectrum AR10000 with DSM technology.  It takes its power from a Action P107 distribution board and it all powered up ok.  I then proceeded to bind the receiver which seemed to go ok as the flashing bind LED went to solid and I then removed the plug.  So having read all of the information that I was supplied that should be it.

I moved the sticks on the transmitter and - NOTHING  <*<   So I switched everything off and plugged just one servo into the receiver for a test to see if it worked.  Again I switched on a got a solid light on the receiver but again nothing at the servo.  I checked the transmitter and I could see on the monitor that it was sensing the stick movements but nothing was happening at the receiver end.

I disconnected the power lead into the receiver and using a multimeter I found that 5v was being supplied (well 4.99v) from the distribution board.  I then plugged it back in and the light on the receiver gave a very brief small glow before going out.  It does this everytime now I switch it on and off.

Now one confession - I have not charged the main batteries yet that I received from the component shop as they are 2 - 12v 7.2hr and I have tested these with a multimeter which shows 12v and they also light a 12v car bulb extremely brightly.  I believe that there is enough charge in them to test servo's.

So what do you all think?  Have I answered my own question or do I have a faulty receiver?  Is there a way of testing receivers?  Any help would be great as I've had this receiver for 14 months now so its out of warranty

Thanks Mark

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Spektrum Receiver Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »

I would go right back to basics and charge the main battery at least overnight then start again.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:34:00 pm »

Will do Bob - I've had the batteries out and re-checked all of the wiring which is correct.  I'm just popping up to Maplins to get a charger.

One thing I forgot to mention - The receiver has two remote aerials and they also have LEDs to show that they are working.  One of them was flickering right from the start even after binding like it had a poor connection. 

Anyway as you say back to basics first  :-))

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »

I never ever bind a receiver through a distribution board. I always have a spare 6v receiver pack that I plug in outside of any boat . The receiver has a spare servo plugged into it to check movements. More than once I've proceeded to install into the boat WITHOUT REMOVING THE BIND PLUG!. once I'm  satisfied the rx works properly, only then do  I install it to the boat.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:33:09 pm »

I've charged the main batteries which are now fully charged and I still have the same problem.  The link from the distribution board has an extension link so I removed that and tried it straight from the board and there was no difference.  I still have 5v being supplied to the receiver according to my multimeter and I was not supplied a separate power supply when I purchased it to try a different power source.

I'm pretty sure that I have a faulty receiver so I have emailed Spektrum to see what they have got to say.  I think I already know the answer to that one  {-)   I won't do anything else until I hear from them.  I'm hoping that they do a repair and test service other than that I will need to get another new receiver. <*<

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:20:18 pm »

Have you tried the Spektrum compatable receivers from Ebay.
I use these for spares

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 07:24:23 pm »

No Bob I'm really new to all of this so I have no idea whats compatible with what.  The last time I used RC it was not computerised or 2.4hz. I'm on a steep learning curve but thats ok I've plenty of patience.  I don't want to buy another receiver unless I have too but if I need another I'll get onto you and my fellow mayhemers  :-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »

Problem Solved  %%

Thanks to the internet - what I needed to do was to connect the remote antennas first - then insert the bind plug - and then apply power to the receiver and yes it now all works.  The motors have turned in anger for the very first time and the rudders work great.  It brought a tear to my eye to see it burst into life.

Unfortunately my work bench was full of bits and pieces and I've managed to rip the mast out of the superstructure with my sleeve which has bent it and broken parts off.  Oh well these things happen and its nothing that cannot be fixed with a bit of TLC.  I'll get back onto it next weekend  :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 09:52:19 pm »

As we said Mark sleeves should be banned near model Fairmounts.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.