Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bunnings  (Read 2640 times)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Bunnings
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »

Welcome to the world of Bunnings.
Here in Oz we no longer go to the pub, Bunnings is such a draw card.
I know of a couple of ladies who say it is their favorite shop.  %%
The BBC news forgot to mention that the sausage sizzle is for outside organisations to raise money.   The spot is usually booked out weeks in advance.   A good place to raise funds for your model boat club.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bunnings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:31:22 pm »

Yes BrianB6.....we do love our BUNNINGS  :-))

A month or so back on MBM, we discussed the move by our BUNNINGS  to purchase and rebrand an existing chain of hardware stores on Northern England

We also spoke of the sausage sandwiches, and that only beef sausages+onion+bread+sauce were permitted to be sold.....no bacon & egg sangers permitted

A few dissenting MBM members suggested they would not attend such a facility  ;D if pork was not on the menu......lets wait & see..... O0

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:53:32 am »

Sorry must have missed it.  <:(
Been away and not able to get the net all the time. 8)
It's still worth applying for a Saturday sausage sizzle for a club
I believe pork snags are available in UK

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:26:05 am »

Lowest prices are just a con!

Saw in their latest catalogue 1200 x 600 x 30mm Foamboard for $12.50 a sheet.

Needed about that much for a project, but just before I got the the B store in Tamworth yesterday, I thought I should try the Builders Supplies store which I have to pass to get to B's emporium.
They sold me a sheet 1200 x 1200 x 30mm for $7.50! So much for Lowest prices! Twice the size for $5.00 less!

Caught them out previously on Plastibond. $3.00 cheaper at the Building Supplies place for the same product. And paint? Cheaper elsewhere! I have friends who can verify this fact. They don't like them either!

And their claim of a 10% price reduction if you catch them out is not worth the effort. Answer is, look elsewhere first and support the little bloke before they squeeze them all out and there are no alternatives, just like as has happened in the port Stephens area. There were 4 independents for choice, now none!

From this you might get the impression I don't like them. You are right! I used to work for a parent company when they were setting up and I didn't like them then either! Just a pity Masters couldn't give them a shake!

Ian.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:09:28 pm »

Ian,

They rely on people being too lazy, which they are, to check prices.

Much like woollies and Coles saying they have the cheapest prices, you need to shop around and know prices.

At the beginning Bunnings were good after they had taken over the Hardwarehouse brand in Queensland.

As time progressed and they sold of the Hardwarehouse stock cheaply, they replaced items with their own suppliers which was a limited range and brands.

If buying one offs, yes, shop around and you will get it cheaper or at least equal. However if you want several items then source it elsewhere and then take advantage of the 10% price difference for the many items you buy.

Works for me. Bought 3 whipper snipers, several barrel bolts, and other things, they don't like it but you can make it work for you.

Tried Masters, they were never in the running. Woollies probably thought they were running another supermarket, they forgot that whilst Coles was behind Bunnings, Wesfarmers (from WA) was behind Coles.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:31 pm »

I don't know about prices, but the new owners, Bunnings, have certainly made a mess of our local Homebase. I was in there last week and couldn't find anything. Everything was mixed up - electrics with plumbing etc. It was also full of dubious special offers on obviously bought in rubbish. If it doesn't improve I'll just have to revert to the Builders Merchants up the road even if it does cost as little more. At least the staff know what they are talking about.

Barrie

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:11:05 pm »

It is still early days, Bunnings have only recently taken over Homebase, I'm sure things will get organised. I know from talking to people they miss the old Homebase and the wide range of things they sold. Some of the special offers are good reductions.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 04:45:06 pm »

The special offers should be good in the beginning as they will trying to sell off all of the old Homebase stock, items that they will not stock in future, asap.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 04:54:03 pm »

It is still early days,  Some of the special offers are good reductions.

Probably shifting old stock that came as part of the
Purchase.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 04:58:42 pm »

Whoops!
Sorry TT
Didn't see your post :embarrassed:

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »

Probably shifting old stock that came as part of the
Purchase.

Ned

No - definitely not. This is stuff never before seen in Homebase. Most of it still in the outers with the Chinese markings %)  I think they got rid of all the other stuff before Christmas.

Barrie

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 07:52:41 pm »

No1 stepson worked for Bunnings for some years before leaving to set up on his own.  Reckoned he was driving five hours a day to do three hours work - great time management. Mind you, Oz is a bit more spread out than here.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 09:40:30 pm »

I don't know anyone here who would drive 5 hours (I assume 2 1/2 hours each way) to go to work, even in this big country. Where does he live?

Bunnings is my favourite shop, I love going there.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 12:38:16 am »

In opposition to the BUNNINGS sausage sizzle pergola, an un-employed young woman set up a handcuff stall at a Wollongong BUNNINGS store carpark  :o

The idea was she would take a $10.00 deposit for a pair of handcuffs to any female member passing......the intent was these women would handcuff their husbands hands behind his back whilst in the store which stopped him from filling the big trolley with goods from the shelves

On return of the handcuffs, a $5.00 refund was made O0

It is reported that the enterprising young woman made $1,370.00 [net] on a single Saturday morning before store management acted in calling the Wollongong  :police: to the location

The young woman was requested to leave the location, however later [for displaying her wit, ingenuity and intelligence] was offered a role as a Promotions Officer for BUNNINGS.....

Who say there is no silver lining in a cloud?  {-)

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 02:10:36 am »

Rumour has it she is married to the store manager %) %)

As for the sausages, when did pork sausages have pork in them, likewise when did beef sausages contain beef.  :(( :(( :((

Might contain nuts, grains, etc, and made on machines, etc, etc, but real Beef and Pork :o :o :o

On the other hand Bunnings have a good side as they allow XSO's to sell "badges" for ANZAC and Armistice day. :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.