Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: sticker residue removal  (Read 9549 times)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: sticker residue removal
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 09:10:14 pm »

sticky labels on leather or delicate plastics  Mr Sheen works well.  (as long as you are not going to paint it)

Peter

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 09:11:59 pm »

I do and I use WD40 and if I need to paint the item I clean it with meths afterwards.

There you go, number 27. :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 10:30:17 pm »

on the 1st lidl yacht, (rafale atlantique) I used Turpentine substitute to remove the residue, wiped on with an old rag, residue GONE!!, then to wipe the turps off, a rag damped with severn trent's finest, the idea being turps floats on water.

wander if it will be ok to paint now?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 11:09:26 pm »

Baby wipes are the greatest cleaners know to mankind.
I use meths for most sticky stuff removal. Sometimes used with a touch of cellulose or enamel thinners - test first as below.
I use safety Solvent at work (I'll get the name), which seems completely safe on anything!
..... you could always use label remover! (Search for it on ebay).
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Captain Povey

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 11:21:51 pm »

Well sorry guys here's another two penneth. In the lab at work ethanol is the preferred substance for cleaning the class lenses on the laser equipment, mainly because it evaporates so quickly and disappears without trace. So also good for those camera lenses as I am not aware of it attacking those classes of plastic. I was under the impression that our blue meths was that way as it had substances (impurities) added to make it undrinkable which is probablywhy it when it dries it does leave a trace. Now that alcohol is, apparently, so cheap that argument probably does no longer hold. The other degreaser or (solvent) and probably the best was trich but now banned. My best one, wait for it, sharp in take of breath is lighter fuel as pure as it comes. Good for cleaning triggers too as it does not leave additives on the sliding bits. And of course we all do this solvent handling stuff in our fume chambers fitted with extractor fans and replaceable regularly changed carbon filters to avoid becoming sniffers. Yeah right  :angel: Cheers Graham

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 01:09:21 am »

For removing sticky residue you can also use cyano glue accelerator which will remove residue and can be painted over, will not affect any material or paint......

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Roger in France

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 09:17:35 am »

Lakeland (formerly "Lakeland Plastics") sell a substance quaintly named "Sticky Stuff Remover" which I find very good. They have a Web Site and offer mail order.

Roger in France.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:27 am »

OK lets try another angle folks - If you have put WD40 on a surface what, if anything, gets that off so you can paint it  :-X

MikeK  O0

Have had a look back and Richard says meths will work - right ??

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 10:36:31 am »

Panel wipe or another name for it spirit wipe

Stavros

chingdevil

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2007, 10:39:10 am »

I hate WD40 even as an engineer I will not use it. If it was on something I was going to paint I would use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean it. Martin mentioned label remover, I use an RS one at work and it leaves a residue. I was  told that if you use meths to clean anything the colour is left behind as a deposit that is why we do not use it for our laser coders glass at work, only Isoprop.

Brian

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2007, 04:15:24 pm »

Thanks for that, chaps - it just so happens .............................! >:(

MikeK  O0

bigH

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2007, 05:29:48 pm »

Just when it was getting interesting :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 10:50:57 pm »

Bin using parrafin for years, just make sure surface is wiped dry afterwards.... never had a problem and it's cheap and plentiful. Acetone is a solvent and the kiss of death to most paints. Meths is alchohol and won't dissolve  the sticky stuff on some of the labels as they are an oil based adhesive. Iso propyl is also an alchohol.. works on some... because it usually contains a higher alchohol content than meths. If you are determined to use meths you need the stuff supplied by your local chemist (surgical meths) as it has a higher alchohol content than the stuff from the D.I.Y shop which has a higher water content  and as you already know, water won't shift those stickers. 
Paraffin.. dab.. leave.. peel...wipe... Provided surface is wiped properly, cleaned and dried, I have never had a problem painting. My experience has shown that the only problems found with painting is that the surface has been insufficiently cleaned and that residue from the sticker has remained. As with all paints, cleanliness and a  properly dried and prepared surface is essential so at the end of the day, it does'nt really matter what you use to remove your stickers as long as the surface is prepared as stated.
Bin doing it for years..... works for me! ;)

meridian

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 11:10:24 pm »

Whenever I need to remove the residue left by self adhesive labels I always use Swan Lighter Fluid, have done for years. It's also an excellent degreaser for small areas. I also use it for cleaning small brushes after painting with Humbrol enamels. It's effective, evaporates quickly and leaves surfaces clean and free from any noticeable residue. I don't know what I'd do without it.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 12:09:15 am »

Hi Meridian, your right and it is in fact better than paraffin. The reason it works on most of these things is that like paraffin it's oil based.. also like the sticker residue.. and  is an excellent solvent for this sticker substance. The beauty of it is that it's not a solvent for cellulose or acrylic based paints and will not attack them, so is very safe to use. It is also highly volatile and will evaporate quickly so less drying out is required for a quick cleanup job. The only reson I favour paraffin is that I always have the stuff lying around and am too tight and lazy to make a point of going out to buy lighter fuel.
Amazingly good discussion on such a seemingly simple subject but thats what Mayhem's all about.. exchanging views and experiences.       Excellent, best site anywhere! O0

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 12:29:57 am »

I thought some people used Lighter Fluid to thin Humbrol Paint so they could spray it.
peter

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 09:38:21 pm »

Yup, oil based paint.. oil based thinning fluid.. it does work.. maybe not the ideal but it will mix and thin these types of paint. I can feel our paint experts mumbling under their breath!
In desperation and with a lack of suitable thinners, I mixed petrol  (95 octane) with polyurethane varnish once and finished varnishing our pine dining table before 'Er indoors' got home. The varnish dried to a lovely hard gloss and is still on there 20 years later. She found out about it and now tells everyone I used petrol to varnish the table!

Stavros

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 09:43:38 pm »

Shiver my timbers what ever next,I hate to think :o

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 11:02:30 pm »

So it wasn't lead free petrol then Sheerline....

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 07:15:34 am »

Colin,

Before they removed leaded petrol over here I used to always use it as enamel thinners as it was as cheap as chips compared to enamel thinners, and as Sheerline says it dries very shiny and very hard, worked a treat, unleaded is crap in comparison, no good for your car let alone thinning, besides it goes off on it's own.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007, 03:35:29 pm »

Colin, we never eat anything which may have dropped from the plate onto the table in case we get lead poisoning but if ever ther is a nuclear attack we reckon we can shelter ourselves from the radiation by hiding under it. ;)

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2007, 03:38:14 pm »

By the way Stavros, I knew you would be mortified!!!! :o

bigH

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007, 08:35:51 pm »

Well!!! after reading Sheerlines posting on his table polishing I think we should all use petrol or summat else, with the price of a tin of humbrol and other so-called hobby paints that work out almost as dear as gold then it will be cheaper  :'(  :'(  :'(

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007, 08:54:10 pm »

Certainly adds a new dimension to 'lead based paints'. Mind you, you can't get the stuff these days and it's no use adding 'Redex' so you would probably get 'pinking'!!!!!  ;D

The_Ships_Cat

• Shipmate
  • Yorkie Builder
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »

One of the first thing's that I allways try is Duraglit. This is the wadding that has been impregnated with a metal polish and is sold for cleaning metal items. WD40 has given me a lot of problems , I repair equipment that uses solenoids with rubber seals inside them. The solenoid will start to stick and the customer will spray it with WD40, this cures the problem for a week or so but over time the WD40 reacts with and expands the rubber seal causing the solenoid to stick even more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.