Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUMPETER LCM (3) Landing craft  (Read 4098 times)

jviewing

TRUMPETER LCM (3) Landing craft
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:56:33 pm »

Hi has anyone built an RC version of this excellent kit?  If you have any tips regarding installation of motors and door operation it would be appreciated.  Best regards Jeremy

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TRUMPETER LCM (3) Landing craft
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:42 pm »

Can be done - I've seen one at the Bury Metro lake. I think you'll need a packing case or some similar cargo to conceal the batteries.

And has anyone seen the new 1:72 Armageddon LCT(6)? This was the ro-ro successor to the LCT(5), and you can do a RN version as they received two of them. Makes the Italaeri Elco look cheap, but what a kit!
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

jviewing

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:10:30 pm »

Thanks Jonty, I am progressing with the layout and intend to modify the whole deck and vehicle bay to remove as one unit from the hull to enable battery stowage inside the hull.
Will post some pictures soon.
Jeremy

rcboater

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 04:21:38 am »

I'm assuming we're talking about the 1/35 scale kit, and not the 1/72 or 1/144 scale versions of the kit...<g>

I built the 1/35 scale kit as an RC model- it makes a nice running model.  I used a couple of disassembled standard size servos for the power plant, and  a 2 channel radio.  The motor servos are wired together with a "Y" cable.

For battery power, I used a 2.1AHr NiMh flat pack mounted under the well deck floor.  My attitude when doing plastic model converisons is to treat them as semi-disposable, so I just built the battery into the model if it is easier than doing a lot of modifications to make it removeable.  I figure that my the time the battery wears out, the model will be worn out as well, with all the dings and breakages models encounter over the years.

I used a pair of small Raboesch brass props, and a homemade tube/shaft.   In the USA, an outfit called "Northwest Shortline" makes these wonderful little universal joint sets.  Intended for use in HO scale locomotives, these tough nylon joints are perfect for connecting servo motor shafts to homemade 1/16 inchdiameter prop shafts in smaller models.

The model runs great- there's a picture of it here, on our club website:

http://www.marinemodelers.org/military.htm

Hope this helps...

jviewing

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 12:01:01 pm »

Hi nice model, how did you tackle the loading ramp / door operation?

rcboater

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 11:40:54 pm »

I built the door to be moveable, currently it is only manually operated.  (I can lower it for pictures or display, but put it in the closed position for running.

I was thinking about making it droppable-- using a catch that holds it closed, that is released by full rudder plus full trim. I could then run up to the beach, stop, and put full rudder plus full trim to drop the door.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:15:31 pm »

Hope this helps

rcboater

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 10:03:49 pm »

So you're carrying your batteries inside the tank?  That's a good idea.  (I did something similar when I converted the Lindberg LCVP to RC many years ago- I hid the receiver in the back of a small Dodge Weapons carrier.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.