Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water slide lettering  (Read 2753 times)

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
Water slide lettering
« on: February 11, 2017, 03:01:42 pm »

Hi all .
A quick question, does anyone know of a good website that sells water slide transfer lettering ?
Looking a nice font to make a name plate .

John

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
Re: Water slide lettering
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »

Hi,

I use this stuff and make my own, just remember to select inkjet version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pack-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper-INKJET-A4-Waterslide-Transfer-Craft-Sheets-/141268307408?var=&hash=item20e43f4dd0:m:mYTFOCpOlb4YIra1wuSUZBg

just remember to spray a couple of layers of clear lacquer.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:46:32 pm »

Hi Timgarrod , thanks for the reply and link !!
I have never used this , do you just print your boat name for example onto this paper and cut it out ? And then apply it to your model ?

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 04:50:26 am »

Note. This is good for dark colors on light backgrounds, but not light colors on dark backgrounds. The dark color will show through. The alternative is to use the white, not clear, transfer paper and effectively have a white background to your text.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »

Hi Paragon,

Agree with Tigertiger on the clear(learnt the hard way). What i normally do is make up some on normally paper and the cut them out and put up to the model to see what they look like then print on the transfer. I set the paper so print all in one line so can then reuse the paper.

another trick is you can grab photos of sign/maps and anyting and then scale them down(did this on my robbe odin). when printing I would leave then for a couple of hours to dry and then spray the lacquer, wait a hour and another coat. normally put about 3 layer one. then cut them out and soak in water. also lacquer them when placed on the model .

I've used this now on all my models and my subs and not had any come off yet or fade in the sun.

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 08:33:29 pm »

Hi. I have used a company called Crafty Computer Paper, they do various types of waterslide transfer paper, I used this to reproduce lettering for my rebuild of an old Adolph Bermpohl, they are fine if you give them a coat of varnish (mat or gloss) after application. Howard Q.

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 10:35:31 pm »

I've used Crafty Computer Paper -
https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/decal-paper-c553/laser-water-slide-decals-c565/laser-water-slide-decal-paper-p11245
They don't need lacquer either before or after application. I've raced my model in the sea for 2 years with them on and no sign of coming off or bleeding.
As they need a laser printer just take your penstick (with the pdf design on it) and a sheet to your local printers and they'll print one sheet very cheaply.

CCP also do 'Lasertran' which prints on an inkjet but then hardens, so you (supposedly) don't need lacquer after application, but I've not tried it yet.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 11:13:11 pm »

Thanks for the replies and the link . Think I'll give that a go ! Just have to work out my font size to the boats scale now .

Thanks again

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:45 am »

I've used Crafty Computer Paper...They don't need lacquer ...
As they need a laser printer

It might be worth mentioning here that there are two types of paper available (for laserjet and for inkjet) in both colors (clear and white).
The laserjet paper does not need lacquer, but the inkjet does. Make sure you buy the correct paper for your choice of printer. If you have easy access to someone with a laser printer, the laserjet paper is going to be the better choice. As Danny points out.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.