Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: waterline pin striping...?  (Read 6442 times)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
waterline pin striping...?
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:55:42 am »

waterline pin striping...... had a wierd one, had some white automotive pinstriping on a model to represent the waterline.....

the automotive pin stripe is the same brand as i have used in the past....it was a new roll, I  normally have no problems with it.... but the stuff i applied to my latest creation has all started to lift and come off about 4 weeks after it was applied........preparation was done in the same way as in the past.... maybe its a dud batch of striping- just dont know why its lifting - plus its not lifting everywhere ?

but great results huh !........

anyone out there  who is in the automotive/ spraying trade got any ideas, - can i get it adhered back onto the hull... how do i go about it the best way, someone suggested gently apply heat with a hair drier ?

anyone got any ideas, the reverse seems tacky still but not as 'sticky' as when originally applied...

i expect some one will say just take it off and re- apply new stuff - but this is now very tricky as the model now has lots of detail parts applied in and around the waterline,... exhaust outlets, frames to protect the trim tabs  and similar...

shane/ stavros... any suggestions- have you come across this at all before  ?
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Stavros

Re: waterline pin striping...?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:05:03 am »

Bad news I am afraid if it has been applied and is peeling off the only thing you cab do is remove the whole lot and start again.Removal is quite easy either use a hot air gun or pour hot ware and it will come off.What is puzzling me is why it has come off this is due to a couple of factors as follows

1 Applied in damp conditions
2 Model been polished??
3 Tape been handled adhesive side prior to application
4 Adhesive lost it's stickiness
5 Old stock

If the model has been polished clean it with panel wipe and this will remove the polish do it a couple of times and then reapply the tape then polish

Stavros

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14:24 am »

that was a fast response !

i was afraid you were going to say remove and start again....it was a new roll of stripe only bought  a month ago, it felt as sticky as the last roll i used,

i did not handle the adhesive side of the tape i used on the model prior to application...

the hull was cleaned with 'spirit wipe' prior to application ( just like panel wipe) and the striping tapes were applied in  the home so a warmish dry  location....

so all i can suggest is that maybe a dud  batch where the adhesive is not as good or this roll of tape had been in the motor factors for a long long time and the adhesive has lost its sticky properties !

oh well some very carefull removal will have to take place now... damm it !

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:57 am »

With what you have just said white spirit!!! AH HA this can cause problems.I remember running out of panel wipe prior to spraying a van and cleaned it with white spirit and boy oh boy did I get problems.Bite the bullet and get some panel wipe from a motor factors or go along to your nearest Spray shop wiht a pot and beg steal or borrow some from them.

Stavros

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 09:49:23 am »

spirit wipe is a degreasant and cleanser  used prior to spray applications, specially designed for use with plastics and GRP..... its not actually white spirit ...its  just called 'spirit wipe'- its a literal translation of the product name...

we use it prior to application of PPG products, its also good for cleaning drawing boards, parallel motion  rulers and graphics equipment like your french curves !- it evapourates fast, leaves no residue and is colourless

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:35:32 am »

Guy appologies for that too early in the morning,di not read it right must go to specsavers!!!!!  Must therefore be a doggi batch of pinstripe cos as you know that stuff sticks like anythign know to man USUALLY

Stavros

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49:06 am »

no worries stavros, was well impressed to get a reply within minutes at that time of day !

have ordered some more  pin striping from a different company.... will try it..... might work 2nd time around....

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:25:53 pm »

I have always put a light coat of clear over any pin striping I have done, and as yet never lost any.........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

cdsc123

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 09:02:09 pm »

The white spirits may be the culprit here, it does leave a greasy residue if left wet after wiping down with a cloth. Wipe down with a plain white kitchen towel to ensure the surface is completely dry and use the stuff sparingly. Thinners No 1 is the same product without the greasiness.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:57 am »

I would suggest calling the manufacturer to see if they have changed adhesive or if anyone else has complained.

At least this way you will have highlighted or eliminated another cause.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 03:42:53 pm »

The white spirits may be the culprit here, it does leave a greasy residue if left wet after wiping down with a cloth. Wipe down with a plain white kitchen towel to ensure the surface is completely dry and use the stuff sparingly. Thinners No 1 is the same product without the greasiness.

THERE WAS NO WHITE SPIRIT USED......THE SECOND BATCH OF STRIPING USED HAS ALSO STARTED TO LIFT IN ONE LOCATION !

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 10:19:28 pm »

the last time i used auto striping on a fiberglass hull i cleaned it off with M.E.K Menthyl Enthyl Keetone (spelling prob not correct) ???
I used to use this stuff when i was a coach builder to clean down G.R.P. when prepping the panels for the press, it cleans and evaporates quickly leaving a area free from oil and grease ,also if you get it on your hands when you have done get some of the swimbo's hand cream to moisturise your hands cos it removes your oils as well  :'(
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:49 am »

i use MEK every day at work- i know it well...... it does not  do your paintwork much good though !- but it does de grerase everything !

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:22:19 am »

thats the onlt drawback with this stuff on normal paint jobs  but on the grp hulls no probs .
WARNING DO NOT USE THIS STUFF INDOORS   where i used to work we were breathalised by the local police one afternoon and came up over the legal limit  :D and that was before a trip to the local watering hole ,and this was before they lowered the limit :o
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:50:12 pm »

Try this one out ;D After you've applied the trim-line tape and your happy with it, get a hair dryer and heat up the tape and press it down! What this does it heat the glue to allow it to stick better, not only that but it also softens the plastic tape around any tight corners O0

Been using the same trim-line tape as before but i also found it wouldn't stick? Then i remembered what a work colleague told me once, he was a professional RC driver and so knew all the tricks for painting model car bodies. He used to use a hair dryer to seal in the stickers and hide the surrounding edge, those sticker never lifted-not even when wet!

ABRAD

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 01:47:03 am »

You can buy little sachets with a cloth inside soaked in adhesion enhancer, most automotive suppliers keep it, it is used when applying new moldings or body kits to vehicles.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 08:46:32 am »

cheers ABRAD and Voyager, will get hold of a cloth and try some gnetle heating, its still lifting in one or two places......

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 11:38:02 am »

Dear All,

Don't forget Surgical Spirit, it is nice and gentle with it's cleaning properties and as far as I can see leaves seemingly no residue when washed off with a dilute warm Fairy Liquid solution - this on wood planking and matt painted plastic that was covered with varying degrees with a greasy/tacky substance. Took a few spells at it (washed the whole vessel in the end - a 1:96 Belfast), but got it all off in the end, and have successfully painted over as well - also the boot-topping tape went on without problem (been on for some four months now).

Hope this might be of use to you/anyone.

Regards, Bernard

chas

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

That was weird, I was about to post the same question  and then I saw this thread started today. I've been using tape for years on hulls with no difficult curves to go round, all without problems. My latest effort has gone wrong in the same way though. Perhaps there is a change in the tape.
 While we are on the subject, someone mentioned using a hair dryer to ease the tape around curvy bits, how well does this work? my efforts at a painted line could be better so if I can get away with tape so much the better.
 Chas

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:14 pm »

Dear Chas,

I would suggest asking Shipmate as he is expert (amongst other things), in Boot-Topping - have seen his work -and I have asked him similar question in the past. There is a very thin tape that can be used but I can't remember what it's called.

Regards, Bernard

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 01:48:56 pm »

The tape most people use (including me) is Model Technics Trimline. You can get it at most "proper" model shops such as here:

http://balsamart.co.uk/upgrade/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=109_297

meridian

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 02:34:35 pm »

Following up on what Colin Bishop said, I have used Model Technics white TrimLine very successfully on my last two models. I always use Swan 'Extra Refined' Lighter Fluid to prepare the surfaces before I apply the Trimline. It is an excellent degreaser, evaporates quickly, leaves no residue and does not harm the paintwork.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 10:27:48 pm »

I have been using Great Planes striping tape as used by the RC model aircraft fraternity. It is designed to withstand methanol based fuel, and I have never had a problem with it. The adhesive cures after application, and once it is on, it stays on. I had it on one particular aircraft for over 12 years and it never even looked like lifting. It was around the engine cowling near the exhaust, among other places, and was continually covered with the usual gunk from a model aircraft engine, yet it stayed put. I use it for boot topping on boats, and it has been great.
Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.