Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Couriers...  (Read 6301 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Couriers...
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:38:08 pm »

So...before we went off to the IOW for three nights, I'd ordered a piece of Macrolon sheet, only a small piece, and would have easily gone though my letterbox.
We got home yesterday, and there on the hall floor is a red card...'sorry you weren't in, but don't worry, we've left your item with your neighbours at number 10'

Strange, I thought...there isn't a number ten. A swift call to the courier's office opened a very large can of worms....the driver insisted he had called the sender, and they told him to leave the package with a neighbour. He hadn't...and they didn't.
A bit more digging revealed that the package had been left at number 10...in a totally different road. The office called the people at the mysterious number 10, and were told that they didn't want the package, and that they wouldn't accept responsibility for it.

By then my patience was running on empty, so after a few special sweeper drivers words were issued, they agreed to collect the package and deliver it to me today...which to give them some credit, they did.

When it arrived, it was just a common or garden Jiffy bag...opened, resealed with yards of parcel tape, and placed into another ripped and torn Jiffy bag.

The driver got quite stroppy when I insisted on signing for the package in a damaged condition...but at least the contents were in one piece.

And the name of this award winning courier company is...DPD (round of applause, please) And yes, the driver was of Eastern European origin...

It makes you wonder, it really does...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Couriers...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »

Weird thing is I have just had the exact opposite with DPD- actually kept informed of the location of my package which came from Leipzig!
It actually arrived within two minutes of the estimated time of arrival which totally amazed me. The thing I've had to fight for is to actually get the package (a GRP hull) to be sent in the first place! >>:-(
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:13:36 am »

In fairness, all couriers have bad service events. Even the big ones.
DHL have an appalling reputation for delays and losing things in my part of the world. But generally they all do a pretty good job, of delivering faster and cheaper than the old red van.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »

In fairness, all couriers have bad service events. Even the big ones.
DHL have an appalling reputation for delays and losing things in my part of the world. But generally they all do a pretty good job, of delivering faster and cheaper than the old red van.

I was going to say something about the old red van...........but needn't add anything further as we have all probably had similar experiences with them, lol.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 08:19:51 pm »

Whilst this subject as been raised I have a kit that I need picking up from Bristol, can anyone recommend a good courier that will collect for me?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 05:40:54 am »

I recommend using this Website, I always use it. https://www.parcel2go.com/

It has all of the main couriers and their delivery service options, listed in the database.
You put in the dimensions and weight of your box, your address and destination. It will then select the cheapest providers and price. You then make a choice. After this you put in your pick up date/time (they collect from your house, I think I have even had a parcel picked up from elsewhere and delivered to me) and pay online.

Really easy.
The hardest part is packing the box contents securely.

Personally, I have always chosen the DHL 48 hour service. A nice compromise between speed and low price.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 10:52:07 am »

I ordered something on line and was tracking the parcel and it said itnhad left the local town 5 miles away, 4 years later it still has not arrived,  >:-o

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:39 am »

I ordered something on line and was tracking the parcel and it said itnhad left the local town 5 miles away, 4 years later it still has not arrived,  >:-o

Must have taken the scenic route...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:52:41 am »

...And yes, the driver was of Eastern European origin...

Is that pertinent to the problem, or just a dig?

If you look at some of the jobs listed with courier companies, you'll see examples of 'eighty', 'one hundred' parcels a day expected by the courier. That is a pretty insane amount. When I was drafted into Sainsbury's Online driving, for a few weeks over summer a couple of years ago, I got six minutes to make a delivery (which might be anything up to ten/fifteen 20kg 'totes', might include stairs, security entry systems, a dithering customer considering returning items. It was a constant shift of 'running to catch up'. A van might carry fifteen 'drops'.

I suspect your average courier driver, with many tens of deliveries, is constantly called to make snap judgements in the minute or so they're at the doorstep. There will be errors - on balance, I think I'd prefer the occasional one at the letterbox than on the roads.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 02:06:04 pm »

A friend of mine who is a courier mentions the daft number of deliveries he has daily. I agree that the onus is on the sender to make sure the parcel is wrapped well as the couriers do not have time to gently bed each parcel in the van. I think couriering is one of the last transprt jobs where the goods are handballed on the vehicle.

I don't doubt there are cases of negligence handling parcels roughly, but the effects can be much reduced except in the most extreme cases.
Pond weed is your enemy

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 02:17:16 pm »

Dreadnought72 I feel your pain I work for ocado and even tho the pay and benefits are amazing with the company u literally are worked to the bone one off my drops last night 5th story flat in centre of Oxford no lift 6 boxs of shopping and two of them boxs were packs of 2litre bottles water and I was given 7mins to do the drop,
Me personally I now only use parcel force Hermes Dad yodel etc I don't trust either damage or lose things

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »

^ ouch. Got that teeshirt. It's always tins and bottles to the upper floors.

To be honest I quite enjoyed 90% of the shifts. The area covered was Stirling to the Tay, and Loch Lomond to Rosyth. Often got a scheduled hour wait by Loch Earn and other beauty spots.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 04:13:14 pm »

Touch wood, I've never had a problem with deliveries, other than that no matter when I order it, delivery always seems to aim itself at Tuesday, the day when I have a regular coffee morning with my fellow Friends of Fairhaven Lake.  The beef with Parcelforce is that they have shifted their usefully sited parcel office out of the town center to an industrial estate literally in the middle of nowhere.  The bus ride to and from would be a full half day.
I do think back to my working days when I had to visit customers premises.  A recurring thought was that visible house numbers would be a  good idea, along with visible street names.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »

God rot Amazon.  Just received an email from them saying they were unable to make delivery, been at home all afternoon and evening . From the time stated on the mail I guess courier just said nuts, it's my going home time.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:53 pm »

Just ordered some parts for my Möve II and some other stuff from HK EU Warehouse, GLS is the courier and the packaged were left at the front door in the rain  <*< contacted the customer service by email and within 2 hours they had offered to replace any item that were damaged by the rain  :-))

BTW: I could also have been an ass, taken the packaged, waited a couple of days and contacted HK asking where my goods were, but that would be theft, but some people would have done that, and I don't think that the driver think about that.

But one also have to take in consideration that in Denmark the averaged hourly salary for a GLS courier is approx. 45DKr (6£)  before tax and the recommended minimum hourly salary is approx. 110DKr in Denmark at this time. So it is people from the East-block and 3. generation emigrants that didn't managed to learn the Danish language. So one gets what ones pay for.
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

IsaacStone

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 06:19:25 am »

God rot Amazon.  Just received an email from them saying they were unable to make delivery, been at home all afternoon and evening . From the time stated on the mail I guess courier just said nuts, it's my going home time.

That sucks. Amazon are getting right on my nerves too. I've been in all day and got a notification of a failed delivery!

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 11:09:57 am »

DPD my son ordered flowers on the 14th feb for his mothers birthday paid extra for next day delivery they still haven't arrived when he rang dpd they said were not talking to you as your not the recipient can you believe the arrogance of these people  Bill..

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 03:35:09 pm »

I don't know who mk1 used for the boat I perchased from him but they were exelent, the tug arrived in one piece next day very pleased.

yameran

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 12:08:32 pm »

That sucks. Amazon are getting right on my nerves too. I've been in all day and got a notification of a failed delivery!

Any alternative to Amazon for this product?

RST

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 03:13:01 am »

Any alternative to Amazon for this product?

..probably anywhere that Amazon list a product I guess. Pick a supplier anywhere usually and give them the deservedly rade instead.

I have a colleague at work that will only pretty much ""only" order from amazon or an internet site.....

He got a delivery from Aldi the other day and I proclaimed "WHY DID YOU NOT GO TO THE STORE AND GET IT YOURSELF  YOU LAZY B**** "As Aldi just only 2-3.mins away.  He replied -"I WASN'T GOING THAT WAY"
 ...what the "flippin feather".

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 07:26:27 am »

I was sitting at my pooter a few months back watching an on line tracker for an item I wanted urgently. Can't remember if it was Herpes  os DLHS. The delivery time went down to a few minutes to be with me, then "ITEM DELIVERED AND SIGNED FOR"  and I was still sitting looking out of the window , nothing !!!!
 I blasted off a few e-mails to all the couriers contact e-mails and called their contact numbers (automated)  After about an hours frustration some scruffy East European illegal immigrant type character drew up and handed me my parcel.
 I assume he was at the end of his day and just logged delivered when he had not and the company contacted him with a fizzer.
 I hate couriers, may their fundemolds fester, prefer click and collect at Argos if offered

still getting MSW server dropout

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 09:20:04 am »

Now now Baldrick.....

...just what does a "scruffy East European illegal immigrant type character" look like?..... :o
...did he have a "Herpes  os DLHS" name badge or uniform?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »

Now now Baldrick.....

...just what does a "scruffy East European illegal immigrant type character" look like?..... :o
...did he have a "Herpes  os DLHS" name badge or uniform?

Derek

If your unfamiliar with them down under we can soon send you a boatload.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 12:31:24 pm »

No Baldrick......

Our [current] Government proudly tell us they have  :police: stopped the boats...[although occasional French household type young working lady seems to attain a Visitor Visa without issue]  {-) 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 02:07:45 pm »

Our normal DHL driver is Eastern European, smartest guy I have seen, always immaculately turned out, always polite and courteous......far nicer than some of the other  courier services drivers......grumpy, scruffy so and so's...(British).

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 23 queries.