Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with modern Brushless ESCs, please  (Read 4456 times)

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
Help with modern Brushless ESCs, please
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:15:52 am »

Hi, the Mayhemmers

Now I know that we are all mature, sensible people.
And therefore not likely to wear our baseball caps backward and and fly FPV drones

But do you know someone who does?

I have become fascinated by 1103 brushless motors 
http://www.banggood.com/4X-Racerstar-Racing-Edition-1103-BR1103-10000KV-1-2S-Brushless-Motor-For-100-120-150-RC-Multirotor-p-1110549.html
About 3 grams! :}
Now that will fly a sweet little indoor Sopwith pup or similar

Here is the question: 
They are used in racing quadcopters with tiny brushless ESCs
http://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-A1S-3A-Blheli-1S-Super-Mini-Brushless-ESC-128_54mm-For-RC-Multirotors-p-1117945.html?rmmds=detail-left-viewhistory

and all these escs seem to use BLheli 1S software, whatever that is
Can I use this with a conventional receiver output?  and if so, how?

I suppose I should have said that I was planning a micro-hydrofoil with the 10000kV version!  on 4V that would be spinning at 40K RPM and turning a TINY prop

TIA
andrew

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help with modern Brushless ESCs, please
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:57:45 am »

How about an esc like this for 1s and 3amps with regular receiver plug.
http://https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5a-1s-brushless-esc.html
Brian

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:27:20 am »

Thanks, Brian

I had not found this one, and it will do what is expected

But I'm still curious about the Blheli issue

andrew

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:14:38 am »

I do have a couple drones but know nothing of the programming that goes into them. My friends 10 year old son built one from scratch I should ask him lol.
Brian

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:09 pm »

The Blheli firmware is to give a faster responce to the throttle. Drones are less stable with the normal esc setup so a faster responce is wanted. The esc will still work with your receiver although the faster throttle responce is less important in a boat.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:56 pm »

Hi, Jim

Thanks - I have formed the impression by reading that the BLHeli is designed to be talked to by the flight controller so it does not respond to a PWM signal unless it is reprogrammed to do.  Would you know if this is correct?

Although the faster throttle responce is less important in a boat.
I will probably be flying small indoor scale aircraft, so again, no need for blinding speed
andrew

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:10:30 pm »

Hi Andrew

I managed to find the Blheli manual and according to this it works with a PPM signal and can be easily set up for a PWM signal. There does seem to be 3 versions of the firmware, for helicopter main rotors, for heli tail rotors and finally for multirotors you might need to check which version for use in a plane. If you Google for Blheli manual you should find the link to GitHub where the manuals are available.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 05:43:11 am »

Hi, Jim

Sorry about the slow reply.  We were away down the coast celebrating a sixty-mumbleth birthday

Thanks - I have got and will study the manual

andrew

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:40:35 pm »

I own a number of rc helicopters and 2 planes,   blheli firmware on brushless esc's will work fine with all receivers.

At first it confused the hell out of me too but I soon discovered it's how the esc process the information and it's all about response times.

Theres a tonne of different firmwares out there and they can be re flashed, this is great as because they are now so programmable,  you can plug the things into a serial based USB adapter and set up all sorts of parameters on them through your pc like soft start, max throttle output, reverse or not, motor braking,  the brushless timing,  the list goes on and on

but the point is you can customise them to work in a way that suits your particular model with a few clicks of a mouse instead of the incredibly confusing beeps from the motor and transmitter stick programming, 

trying to program the old way through the transmitter where you have to work out what all the bleeps mean and the actual process when the manual is in chinglish or even no manual at all is enough to raise anyone's blood pressure!

Pc programming with easy to use software like blheli suite is the way to go.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:24:44 am »

Thanks, Stevesteve

(so good they named you twice?)

I have ordered a variety of small BLESCs, some blheli and some conventional (as well as a range of the little motors)

I will be discovering lots of new things

Many thanks for your help - I will learn lots of new things

andrew

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:33 pm »

its out of stock at the  moment with a restock expected april 22nd but this is the programmer i ordered, they all do the same thing and this unit will program any esc, not just little bee esc's, i dont even own a little bee esc ha ha

http://www.banggood.com/FVT-Favourite-Little-Bee-Mini-BLHeli-ESC-Parameter-Adjustment-Moduel-Usblink-Program-Module-p-1027355.html?p=E8302048507252016052

if you look at the page it shows the blheli suite too and you can get an idea of what can be adjusted from it

if you want to have extra channels to control all sorts, the flysky fs-i6 transmitter is a 6 channel transmitter, comes with a 6ch receiver and the transmitter can have its firmware upgraded very easily to turn it into a 10 channel transmitter!!!!!

http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-2_4G-6CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-With-FS-iA6-Receiver-p-922606.html?p=E8302048507252016052
[/size]
[/size]happy shopping!

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 07:53:42 pm »

Thanks, Stevesteve

(so good they named you twice?)

ha ha, i was too lazy to think of a proper username and that was the first thing the registration didn't sat was already taken {-)

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:34:51 pm »

its out of stock at the  moment with a restock expected april 22nd but this is the programmer i ordered, they all do the same thing and this unit will program any esc, not just little bee esc's, i dont even own a little bee esc ha ha

http://www.banggood.com/FVT-Favourite-Little-Bee-Mini-BLHeli-ESC-Parameter-Adjustment-Moduel-Usblink-Program-Module-p-1027355.html?p=E8302048507252016052

if you look at the page it shows the blheli suite too and you can get an idea of what can be adjusted from it

if you want to have extra channels to control all sorts, the flysky fs-i6 transmitter is a 6 channel transmitter, comes with a 6ch receiver and the transmitter can have its firmware upgraded very easily to turn it into a 10 channel transmitter!!!!!

http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i6-2_4G-6CH-AFHDS-RC-Transmitter-With-FS-iA6-Receiver-p-922606.html?p=E8302048507252016052

happy shopping!

just to add one thing, esc's running blheli have one of two chips on them, ether ATMEL or SILABS to program these you need the programmer for that type of chip, no big deal when they only cost around £6 but info thats important to know.

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:53:51 am »

Thanks again, Steveteve

My trial blheli escs are on the way, as are the 1103 motors

if all goes to plan they will power one of these

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:04 am »

meant to attach this flycatcher photo (it has a floatplane conversion, so its a sorta boat)

(I'm having a lot of trouble attaching the photo - it has a .jpeg suffix and the attachment program does not recognise it as a .jpg)

It will be made of 1.2mm depron and about 13 inch span (peanut size)

andrew

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 01:07:43 am »

Flycatcher experts will of course recognise that this is the remanufactured Flycatcher  - made in the 1980s? for Richard Fairey to the original plans but powered by a , I seem to remember a Wasp radial rather than the unobtainable twin-row Jaguar IV :}

Its now in the FAA museum at Yeovilton

andrew
I love "knubbly" planes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.