Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silverline solder paste  (Read 2659 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Silverline solder paste
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:29:00 pm »

I was in my local model shop; Hobby Hangar in Yeovil and whilst browsing the tool section saw some little pots of solder paste.

Expecting them to be costly I was surprised to see that a pot costs only 99 pence. At that price, if it is rubbish or dries up before I finish it, I have not wasted a lot of money.

I recall reading various member's mentioning solder paste and its pros and cons and wanted to try it out but was cautious of spending over a tenner for something that may not work for me or dies before I used it up.

I bought two pots!

Pond weed is your enemy

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Silverline solder paste
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:50:07 pm »

I have used solder paste . it a silver colour sold in a syringe . good stuff but not cheep . That looks yellow and a bit like flux

john

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:57:44 pm »

That's what I was thinking when I opened it.
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:23:44 pm »

Looks like you have fallen into the same trap as I did Ian. Ordered solder paste online and got the same as you - solder flux. >>:-(

I did eventually get the proper stuff while rebuilding Smit Nederland. Some suppliers are now changing their product information and calling it Solder Paint, which makes sense because you simply "paint" it on and use very little amounts. A few times I used a cocktail stick to apply in awkward corners.

Also, John (cos918) is correct in saying it is silver coloured, rather dull silver actually.

The "paint" or "paste" is made of micro balls of solder, mixed with flux, ready to use. The tub I bought has a use by of Feb 2018 so I'll have to get cracking and get lots of soldering jobs lined up. :-)

....and you were right to go for the smaller amounts by the way. O0

Regards,

Ray.

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:09:03 am »

The trouble I've had with both soft solder paste and silver solder paste is that the liquid that give it the paste effect dries out and the lid is in tack and seals/closes properly. In various magazines I've read that other people have mentioned the same issues as I had and mentioned using meths, well I've tried and didn't have much success but I added thinners to the silver solder paste and BINGO it now works like it did when I first bought it.
Anyone who's after a good supplier of either soft or silver solder paste contact "CUP ALLOYS" there based in Yorkshire and attend all the model engineering shows and are extremely knowledgeable and will help with any advice reading soldering metals.

Regards
Kevin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 12:18:58 am »

Thanks for the info Kevin, I'll check them out later on - might as well try the thinners routine as well while I'm at it. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:23:05 pm »

Thanks chaps. I feel a right daft biffer! I will check out Cup Alloys as I would like to try solder paint if only because my soldering is still a little on the side of adding more just in case, which either requires more fettling, or very rounded joins.

On a positive note, I probably have all the flux I will ever need!
Pond weed is your enemy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:46:01 pm »

On a positive note, I probably have all the flux I will ever need!

...and it doesn't go off. I'm using some my father bought in the 1950s :-)) :-))

Barrie

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »

I bought a tin of Fluxite twenty years ago and that is still going strong.
Pond weed is your enemy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 10:42:40 am »

Bakers Fluid, a liquid flux applied with a cheap paintbrush ans all awkward corners covered.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 01:53:56 pm »

I was in my local model shop; Hobby Hangar in Yeovil and whilst browsing the tool section saw some little pots of solder paste.

Expecting them to be costly I was surprised to see that a pot costs only 99 pence. At that price, if it is rubbish or dries up before I finish it, I have not wasted a lot of money.

I recall reading various member's mentioning solder paste and its pros and cons and wanted to try it out but was cautious of spending over a tenner for something that may not work for me or dies before I used it up.

I bought two pots!

I've been using the exact same thing but called a different brand for around 4 years and it does the job very well indeed, I will buy some more in the future  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 07:48:32 pm »

That is good to know Paul. I don't know if fluxes go off in time. My old tin of fluxite still seems to solder on  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 07:55:50 pm »

I remember my dad had a pot of flux that he had for must of been 20+ years and was still working perfectly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.