Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC  (Read 159 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC
« on: July 05, 2019, 02:30:39 PM »

Having been involved in more serious efforts of late, restoring some Edwardian vintage yachts, and before I start work on the restoration of an even earlier large local made gaff rigged Victorian Pond Yacht, with an interesting provenance, I decided to have a bit of a play and make a version of the classic Veron Police Launch [produced by SLEC.

I've already made their Sea Scout which was huge fun and runs beautifully, if a tad speedy ...  :embarrassed: ... but this one is also from my youth so seemed an appropriate project for a bit of fun. I've started on the basic structure, which goes together extremely well, using very nice quality materials that are CNC Laser & Router cut, giving a great fit and feel.

From here on in though I shall be varying from their recommended construction to give a slightly more 'realistic' look and make life easier in terms of running electrics around the boat as this will have working lights and searchlight. I also have got hold of some really nice mahogany veneers which will give the decks and cabin detail a much more authentic look, which I will augment with some mahogany and walnut detailing.

My first alteration though will be building a slightly raised removable floor and engine compartment, under which all the wiring will travel, complete with seat at the rear that will hold the battery, thus giving the cockpit area a look more like the original.

Anyway, I've made a start and the initial photos are below. This won't be a fast job but should be a lot of fun...   :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:07:59 PM »

High artistmike, can we see the vintage yachts please?  Or are they on here already?
kind regards

Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:55 PM »

This is one that I did a little while back, with sails made for me by Nylet, that I now have sailing regularly and I've done a couple for other people too :-

And as a result this one is the latest that I have some research to do on as far as sail plan and rig is concerned. It has been lying neglected in the loft of a house belonging to a local ship and boat building family for a good few generations, and one that I'd really like to get back into good order for them. It's a big hull, wide and voluminous and I suspect would have carried a good bit of sail. The bowsprit is broken at the position of the staysail and was probably twice as long when whole, but the hull itself is in very good condition indeed, though no mast or spars survive. Should be fun to do though...  :D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:12 PM »

Thanks Mike
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up