Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166655 times)

T33cno

Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:08 am »

You would need to make a template from thin cardboard and transfer this to a sheet of styrene

T33cno

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2017, 07:54:12 am »

So

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2017, 10:43:06 am »

When I made Imara I did use resin. Laid the hull on its sides and at angles for the bow and upright for the stern and used the self levelling of the resin to do the job. It worked reasonably well but on subsequent models I found that lining did a neater job. Obviously you do need to do it in sections to avoid having to make complex curves in the templates .

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:11 am »

Gotcha. Thank you guys, I will look into it  :-))
I hope my local hardware store has 0,5mm styrene plates. I do know they have the 3mm kind.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Anchor Hawse
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:09 am »

Another question for you guys concerning the holes for the anchors: the instructions states one should drill the holes and fit the white metal hawse, and in goes the anchor. But there doesn't seem to be any kind of pipe envisaged. I'm afraid that the model can and will draw water through the anchor hawse.
I thought of glueing in small plastic beakers or a short piece of plastic tube, which would probably be the obvoious solution.

Any suggestions?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Bulwarks and Filler and Holes oh my!
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »

I went for the styrene lining method, at first. I even succeeded at cutting some pieces in the right shape. Alas, I got frustrated since the sheets came off the day after. Probably took the wrong kind of glue.
Car body filler to the rescue. Although you guys are right, it took a lot of effort and I couldn't get it down to an even, level surface. Plus, the new batch of body filler is darker and slightly softer (almost rubberish) and won't sand as smooth as the other one from Graupner. Oh well. Some frustration goes with every build, I guess  {:-{

After spending the better part of a day sanding, it was time to cut some holes for stem bar and anchor hawses.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Need some Help
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2017, 10:30:13 am »

Hello fellow shipmates

I need some help, if you've built the Imara or have access to one.
Building the aft section where the two bollards sit, I can't make out which part they're sitting on. The descriptions don't indicate any measurements, and the plans are not to scale  >>:-(
I have two almost identical plates, one is 25 x 9 mm and the other one is 28,5 x 13 mm. My guess is it's the smaller one, but I really can't be sure.
It's part #46 on the plan pics below, indicated with red arrows on the picture of the ply.

Also, if anyone has any detailed pictures of the plate with the gratings (parts #24 - 28) and how exactly this is built, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:48 am »

Here's my Imara.

Any help ?

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:48 am »

Thanks, but I'm afraid this isn't detailled enough. If you could take some close-ups from the section in question and / or measure the size of the small bollards plate, I'd appreciate it and I'd also owe you a beer or twenty  ;)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2017, 10:49:46 am »

I'm afraid the model is long gone and all I have are the build pictures you see. 

There is a build blog on here if you have the time to go through it, but I feel that the accuracy that you require may not be found in this builders repetois.    :}

I have been looking back through the site and cannot find my build, but there are other builds where you might find the information you are looking for.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2017, 12:01:30 pm »

Thanks, Ken!
I will sift through the pictures on here and on another forum, maybe I can solve this problem.
Or hopefully maybe somebody else with the Imara may show up and points me in the right direction.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2017, 02:04:52 pm »

Thank you, Martin.
Unfortunately also way too little detail on these pics.

One thing I figured out now is that, contrary to the description, the gratings seem to be made from laser cut plywood instead of white metal. Why Caldercraft didn't bother updating the descriptions and the plans is beyond me, though.
Still need to figure out the size of the small bollards plate.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2017, 06:37:03 pm »

OK, I think I got it sorted. I found a picture in another forum that shows the aft part I'm interested in. After some measuring and interpolating, I came to the conclusion that it must be the bigger of the two parts, after all.
http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1222.0;attach=15886;image

Thank you!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2017, 07:37:06 pm »

I must have dozens of photos of the Imara, but no good ones of the aft deck....  :((

A few from the web:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »

Thanks, Martin! Some nice and useful stuff there.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2017, 08:11:49 pm »

All the cutouts cut out. Now she's almost ready for her first coat of primer and paint. First mate already inspecting his future vessel  :police:  But I suggest he better not quit his current day job yet  ok2

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Agent Orange, or: The Paint Job from Hell
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2017, 07:40:37 am »

Agent Orange, or: The Paint Job from Hell

Done some painting over the weekend.
The first round of white metal fittings - filing them took lots of patience and time, but they turned out very well. Two coats of primer and two coats of Tamiya black.

I then went to painting the deck and the inner bulwarks. Applying two or three coats of primer worked like a charm. After the primer was dry, the proverbial poop started hitting the fan, however. My rattle can of orange-red (or Agent Orange, as I soon started to dub it), was very problematic. First of, the color hue was not exactly what I anticipated - too red. And the paint itself was horrible. I can only assume that they sold me an ancient can - and I swear on my grandmothers grave that I gave it a thorough shake - because what exited the can was a mixture of dry powder and messy, sluggish paint. Mostly it was just dry, orange powder  >>:-(
Unfortunately I didn't notice this right away and I ended up painting-powdering the whole deck with that horrible dust-can.
After the mess was dry, I could wipe most of the powder right off with a dry cloth. The sticky, sluggish parts of the paint, not so much.
The good news is, it took me all evening yesterday to remove this messy Agent Orange - sanding, wiping - both dry and with ethanol to get an acceptable surface again. I just realized I started this sentence with "the good news is". I have no idea, why I did that...  {:-{ :(( >:-o >>:-(

Anyway, she's now ready for another coat of fresh (in every sense of the word) and nicer hue of paint  %)
The image below shows her in all her messy glory.

So much for buying paint in a speciality shop  <*<

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2017, 08:52:56 pm »

Whew, what a difference a decent can o' paint makes. She's now properly painted and although I wasn't able to remove all and the last part of the dusty, sticky old Agent Orange, the result is not perfect (my sanding job around the inner bulwarks also wasn't, as the primer mercilessly revealed), but somehow natural looking in a slightly almost kinda weathered way, if you know what I mean.
Next up is carefully covering the top part of the hull and then priming and painting the lower part. I hope this works out less painfully. At least I learned one important lesson with Agent Orange: always test drive a new can of paint  {:-{

The shots below show her after applying the new and proper orange (traffic orange, as it is called for one reason or another). I also included a somewhat wider shot for your viewing pleasure as to get a glimpse into my working space  ;)
Oh, and I brush painted some gratings, which won't be needed anytime soon, but just because I felt like it  {-)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:21 pm »

I must have dozens of photos of the Imara, but no good ones of the aft deck....  :((

A few from the web:

I recognise the second picture down as the aft end of old member, Neil's Imara, but built as Perseverance, driven by 2 cheddar steam engines. I know it as his, because he put the aft cabin wrong way round, just to wind up the purists and rivet counters.......irreverent bar manager that he is at times.....but much to his chagrin, no one ever noticed,  {-) {-)

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:46 pm »

She has come a long way and looks a treat  :-)) I think you can get away with a certain level of 'crud' representing the crew maintaining what needed to be done to make their vessel earn it's keep and little else.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:18 pm »

Never having studied an Imara build  %)....why do some examples depict the AFT lengths of the steering chain box casing of larger section than the FWD sections?......also in another image here we see :o a multitude of eye bolt lugs/eyes......atop of this larger section...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Imara Build
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2017, 07:10:16 am »

She has come a long way and looks a treat  :-)) I think you can get away with a certain level of 'crud' representing the crew maintaining what needed to be done to make their vessel earn it's keep and little else.

Yes, you got a point there. While it may serve as an excuse - after all, my skills (and sometimes also my patience, I must admit) are somewhat limited, even if I aim for perfection - I do think that you can actually be too fusspotty with a build. After all, as you correctly point out, real ships are hardly prestine if you look at them: sloppy paint jobs and welds prevail.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2017, 10:41:25 am »

Never having studied an Imara build  %) ....why do some examples depict the AFT lengths of the steering chain box casing of larger section than the FWD sections?......also in another image here we see :o a multitude of eye bolt lugs/eyes......atop of this larger section...

Derek
The larger section will be to cover the spring that is normally fitted in the steering linkage.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:23 pm »

....why do some examples depict the AFT lengths of the steering chain box casing of larger section than the FWD sections?......also in another image here we see :o a multitude of eye bolt lugs/eyes......atop of this larger section...

Hi Derek

This is what the plan of the aft section with the chain boxes looks like.

Cheers,
Dom
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.