Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166608 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

Thanks  :-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

MrP1986

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »

Looks fantastic! One of our club members has one and the size of it never fails to amaze me. As does the weight!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:04 am »

Thank you. Yes, she's quite a big lady  ok2
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
First Light
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:06 pm »

After letting off some steam, I'm back in the electronics lab with some first LED soldering. This is the first time I use SMD LEDs, they're quite tiny and need a steady hand soldering. One has also to be very careful not to overheat them and protect them from static electricity. Fortunately soldering is an art I master quite well. But they're worth the effort, I like the warm white light they emit. It fits the epoch and represents tungsten bulbs well enough.

I also made the connections to the super structures for light, sound, the fan and a reserve function.

Also some more bits and pieces in production for the windlass, and so on.
Sometimes I have the feeling I'm a bit all over the place with my build, but if this part A dries and part B sets, I can make part Z  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »

Lovey job and a splendid video of her working pretty well given its her first run, so the issues you had won't difficult to fix, and with some running in like what Derek says, she'lll be a beaut.

Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2017, 11:36:27 pm »

Hullo Dom.....even the designers of the model kit can get it over zealous :o .....

That Fwd hatch cover has too many screw down dog nuts ...the Stdb & port side are shown with 3 per side......but you cannot tighten them as they hit each other

Just a thought....maybe a little patch work......but you could consider removing the centre pair...[or in reality, 4 dogs I would have thought adequate  :-)) ]

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2017, 07:15:30 am »

Lovey job and a splendid video of her working pretty well given its her first run, so the issues you had won't difficult to fix, and with some running in like what Derek says, she'lll be a beaut.
Thank you!

That Fwd hatch cover has too many screw down dog nuts ...the Stdb & port side are shown with 3 per side......but you cannot tighten them as they hit each other

Hey Derek, yes, you're absolutely right and of corse I also noticed that. But since all the pictures of Imara out there show it that way, and since the cover isn't a functional part anyway, I thought so what  {-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Styrene
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2017, 07:23:18 am »

BTW, what are you guys using for gluing styrene parts to wood? This is the second time one of my styrene parts came apart. Neither super glue nor araldite seem to do the job  :o
And yes I'm always sanding and cleaning with ethanol to remove dust and grease.

T33cno

« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2017, 07:26:03 am »

Deluxe materials FUSION.
I agree about the hatch if it don’t look right it ain’t  {-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2017, 07:36:20 am »

Deluxe materials FUSION.

Thank you, that stuff looks interesting. Only problem, they don't ship outside the UK.
But I will check for something similar to get locally.

Please note! Cannot be sent overseas. Can only be sent UK MAINLAND

EDIT: OK, I found something similar. Thanx again!

T33cno

« Reply #185 on: October 03, 2017, 09:39:09 am »

Why buy from Uk? There are dealers else where
http://www.oupsmodel.com/308_deluxe-materials

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Remote
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2017, 08:20:22 pm »

Today I filed and sanded all the parts and pieces for the windlass. What a tedious job  :P
And meanwhile I programmed a mixer function for the rudder / steam engine. It's not yet perfect, but I'm still learning.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2017, 10:34:21 pm »

I've seen more subdued '80 Disco lighting than that Transmitter!!!   :o

BTW: How many times did you jab yourself with the needle file when filing the winch?!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2017, 06:48:12 am »

Yes, the transmitter is quite colorful, isn't it? But it has many possibilities. Alas, it's not always easy to wrap your head around the programming functions. I guess some of the timers may come in handy as gauges for water and gas filling levels.

Oh, and I didn't jab myself with the file. Should I have?  :}

BTW, I noticed that my kit is missing the 2,4 mm steel rod used for axles for the winch. I guess my local hardware store should carry these...

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Bow Section
« Reply #189 on: October 14, 2017, 04:05:34 pm »

I turned my full attention to the bow section. While the paint on the windlass parts cures (sorry for the really crappy picture), I finished the small cabin construction (whatever it is called). Except I could't locate the door handles yet amongst the gazillion of white metal parts. They will turn up eventually, I guess. If not, I can always make my own.
I also drilled a couple of holes into the deck for the wires of the small cabin, the mast, and the anchor chain. There will be a short stub of tube underneath for the chain to go in.

I made a small construction from some scrap wood to paint and weather the anchor chains  :-)

Next step will be assembling the windlass.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
IMARA: Notice anything different?
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2017, 08:48:17 pm »

Notice anything different?

I had the lettering made in three different sizes: big, too big and way too big. So I went with the big one. The Dar-Es-Salaam I also had made is way too big to fit. I will leave it out (don't like that too much, anyway).

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
First Light, Pt. II
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2017, 08:14:40 pm »

Made some progress on the bow area. While the winch itself is almost done, I will have to re-do the rustall weathering since I'm not satisfied with the way it looks. The anchor chains are still in the weathering shop.
I also made the resistor bank for the bow section lights (mast lights and interior of the small cabin).
Speaking of the small cabin, there's a problem with the light I haven't considered. Since I made the bent roof from styrene, the light is shining through, showing off my nasty paint shop beneath the top layer of paint. While the roof looks good without the light, it looks nasty and ugly with the light on. I will probably renounce the light in this cabin since it's already glued in place and there's no easy way to fix this. Oh well. You learn something the hard way every now and then  ;D

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:45 am »

Do you guys think two coats of black paint and then covering it in white again would make the plastic roof impermeable to the light?

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2017, 09:57:35 am »

Yes...It would certainly help stop the light showing through .. I've done this many times on my own models.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2017, 10:03:42 am »

Brilliant, thank you, Terry. I'll try this, then.

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2017, 10:22:22 am »

You could line it with Aluminium foil :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2017, 01:46:19 pm »

Yes, that would definitely do the trick. But it would also not be as easy now with the cabin glued in and the vent mounted to the roof  {:-{

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:21 pm »

Some assorted work being done. The light-leaky roof first painted with two coats of black and now I'm in the process of painting it white again. It will take another 3-4 coats until it will be uniformly white again. The roof used to be 1 mm plasticard, now it's probably double that thickness  :}

Also, rusting the anchor chains is taking progress as you may (or may not) see on my sh!tty tablet photograph. I really need to bring the SLR camera to the shop more often.

And then, finally, I started work on the smaller deck structure. This will be spray painted white after the doors and window frames are in place. Since this is made from sturdy GFK there won't be any light shining through. Still, I may give the inside a coat of black for good measure.
The hole in the roof is for the wires of the rear navigation light which, incidentally and strangely, does not sit in the middle.

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: First Light, Pt. II
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:04 am »

I also made the resistor bank for the bow section lights (mast lights and interior of the small cabin).
Speaking of the small cabin, there's a problem with the light I haven't considered. Since I made the bent roof from styrene, the light is shining through, showing off my nasty paint shop beneath the top layer of paint. While the roof looks good without the light, it looks nasty and ugly with the light on. I will probably renounce the light in this cabin since it's already glued in place and there's no easy way to fix this. Oh well. You learn something the hard way every now and then  ;D

I use bulbs for cabins and wheelhouse. They have a very warm light. LEDs have this strong white light. I had the same problem with the N. Loredana. The LEDs I used where to white and I ended up putting some dark color on them till only a little bit of light came through.
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2017, 11:52:09 am »

You can buy small warm white LEDs these days, I have some in my fishery cruiser model. I used the white ones for the Nav lights.

Colin

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.